LUA for the HUD?

Post tutorials on how to do certain tasks within game or engine code here.
Downsider

LUA for the HUD?

Post by Downsider »

Why are people so scared of additional dependencies? :?

LUA's light-weight and portable..
revelator

Post by revelator »

cant say im afraid the problem is more that i know zip about how to do it :( gotta read up on it someday.

wouldnt be bad for the menu system either.
Arkage

Post by Arkage »

I have been playing around with the thought of using http://berkelium.org/ for HUD / menus recently, but I dont have the time to even try. Plus I doubt I know enough to sucesfully implemt it.

But being able to make menus or huds in HTML/CSS/Javascript would really lower the barrier. It would be nice for something like darkplaces where it chould have intergrated editors for particles or realtime lights (well a less console depent editior for the lights). (all most like an open source cross platform udk :) ).
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

I added Lua to my own un-Quake-related engine the other day, it's not hard to bind functions and pass variables through the stack, actually quite easy.
mh

Post by mh »

I've nothing against the concept aside from the fact that it's work I'd be unwilling to undertake without a serious push from a mod team behind it. Otherwise "hey everyone, my engine supports Lua" is a complete non-feature; a tick in a checkbox that means and achieves absolutely nothing useful.

Also the fact that implementing something like this is really only 10% of the work. The other 90% lies in defining interfaces between the scripting library and the rest of the engine code, figuring out where the walls that Thou Shalt Not Pass are, and working through all the weird little edge cases where things break down (don't kid yourself - they exist with everything).
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

The biggest problem to me is adding a new requirement (Lua knowledge) to modders. As mh said, the implementation itself wouldn't be nothing complicated - but doing something flexible enough / easy to use enough for the majority is another completely different beast.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)