Tutorial Request MD3 and attachment support

Post tutorials on how to do certain tasks within game or engine code here.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Baker wrote:It won't have attachment support, that's an extension --- someone else will have to add their 2 cents in on how to best achieve attachment support. And it'll be standard single model md3 ... no torso, legs, head stuff.
I'm not done but this doesn't have attachment support, but attachment support shouldn't actually be that hard to add for someone with an idea on how best to add that to the protocol.

Both Qrack and JoeQuake 0.15 has support for multi-part Quake 3 player models and technically those are "attachments" (tags).

In fact, JoeQuake Build 1140 has some attachment gun code in it --- except there isn't a way for the server to communicate to the client what gun a player is hold and stay compatible with the standard NQ protocol or so I have heard.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

ahh ic ill have to wait i suppose. iv just gotten into engine coding and its all still very alien to me. the more i do and the longer i do it. the better ill get. but for now im sol. thank you for the tutorial though! =D im sure it'll help some!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Last time I checked Joequake's md3 player model it was very buggy. Try having bots with the same player model and everything implodes (unless it changed which would be awesome of course).
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
revelator

Post by revelator »

its hardcoded and only works for the player model but i suspect it could cause some weird shit.

an idea maybe is writing a wrapper to parse qc anim data to quake3 anim data format ?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Spirit wrote:Last time I checked Joequake's md3 player model it was very buggy. Try having bots with the same player model and everything implodes (unless it changed which would be awesome of course).
I'm not adding the hacky support for the Quake 3 player model format into the tutorial.
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

I take it that isn't the full tutorial?

For the attachments you could always use movetype_follow. But it wouldn't be related to the md3 support.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Is not the full tutorial ... I haven't finished this yet.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
qbism

Post by qbism »

I tried this one with DP once and it worked. Uses MOVETYPE_FOLLOW, dpextension tagentity, etc:
http://qarchive.quakedev.com/QuakeC/Cod ... -05-05.zip