[Tutorial PSP]-Compiling Quake For The PlayStation Portable.

Post tutorials on how to do certain tasks within game or engine code here.
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Tomaz wrote:No I dont use Cygwin to do real PSP work, you can but you dont need to.

And no its not the same hardware or the same SdK when doing the real thing.

I use the swedish link ftp.sunet.se, never fails and I got 100mbit connection towards it. Regarding binaries, no idea.
About the INT_MAX, IT gave me that error when compiling from the SVN so I had to add that to fix it.

EDIT:

Actually, I just completly redownloaded the Kurok SVN at

http://bladebattles.com/kurok/SVN/

Using Tortoise SVN.

I still was required do the INT_MAX fix, aswell as the netwrok fix and everything else.
MDave

Post by MDave »

Hey there, the author of Kurok here :)

Yeah, my code is a mess in places, but I have improved a lot over the last few months. I am more of an artist then a programmer though :lol: It's a miracle I did what I did at all.

Yeah I was the one that updated the lightmaps.h file in the kurok svn a while ago. I'll try to correct other warnings too over time.

If you want to know what I'm doing these days, Im working on a quake 3 mod :) oh how much harder but also easier it is to mod for :P I love it.
UrbanKid

hey

Post by UrbanKid »

Hey MDave could you help me merge the csportable and kurok together so i could use better animations for csportable
Baker

Post by Baker »

The last 2 days I've been doing a lot of work on PSP engine code.

While FitzKurok (Windows Kurok engine) only has mild to moderate changes, the PSP engine -- which isn't FitzQuake based at all, but rather PSPQuake -- has very heavy modifications. MDave had to have put a ton of research and experimentation into the Kurok PSP engine to achieve everything he managed to do.

One thing I've noticed about the PSPQuake variants is that working with the platform neutral part of the codebase is very easy. Not very much platform specific weirdness, and far less than I expected.

As a trial run, I'm building a "ProQuake PSP engine" using both the Kurok PSP and ProQuake codebase to "cure" PSPQuake of the traditional GLQuake flaws and really clean up legacy Quake code that sucks (Q_strcpy, Quake/GLQuake bugs ahoy, etc.) and get some traditional ProQuake niceties in there (ping in scoreboard, NAT fix, etc. etc.)

Note: Kurok PSP supports MP3 playback. As MH wrote a MP3 tutorial for Windows and Fruitz of Dojo (OS X) supports MP3 I'm going to standardize that in the ProQuake build.

Extra note: I don't see any reason why looking at this stuff not to port the Kurok PSP engine to Windows and hence OS X and even FlashQuake via a merge with the ProQuake 4 source base. Yes there is a FitzKurok engine for Windows, but as I am considering Kurok support for ProQuake 4 this would be the most logical first path.

Finally, I have to say the Kurok PSP is rather remarkable. It is far more feature rich than PSPQuake. I'm not talking rendering and effects, although that as well, but the user friendliness. You'd have to try it first hand, really, to know what I am talking about.

Thanks again to XLink for this tutorial.
MDave

Post by MDave »

I can give out commit permissions for the Kurok SVN for those that don't mind bug fixing and what not for it :)

Although, if you're planning on doing ProQuake as the base and porting over features, maybe it's own separate SVN would be better instead.

I like where you're going with this, cross platform and all that :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

MDave wrote:I can give out commit permissions for the Kurok SVN for those that don't mind bug fixing and what not for it :)

Although, if you're planning on doing ProQuake as the base and porting over features, maybe it's own separate SVN would be better instead.

I like where you're going with this, cross platform and all that :)
I'm thinking of the Java "Write once, run everywhere" motto. :D

In particular for total conversions.

We'll see how this pans out, my secondary immediate goal is unifying the ever so slightly different PSP, FlashQuake, Direct3D8 MH Windows, Open GL Windows and OS X project files of ProQuake ... Then I want to hit the software renderer and give it a ToChris interpolation, FTEQW 24 bit, Makaqu Skybox/R_wateralpha boost. Then the game assets can be write once and run in hardware acceleration or not for the same experience.

But yeah, it's pretty clear what I have in mind :D It's time to make things easy for people. And unified possibly with Spike's CSQC prototype and some of the ideas that aren't too far out there in the Engine Standards thread ... could do quite a bit of good for modding and eliminating the pain and encouraging creativity. [The Quake Remake people have the QuakeC side of things covered mostly]
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

I updated the tutorial and added a step that I should have added in the first place.
LonePossum.

Post by LonePossum. »

Maybe you could also add ls into the introduction when your talking about cd. Might Help a few people navigate to the right directory
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

LonePossum. wrote:Maybe you could also add ls into the introduction when your talking about cd. Might Help a few people navigate to the right directory
It is added.
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

i cant complie. Cygwin says something about mkpasswd and mkgroup

nvm. I got it working thank you :)
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Jukki wrote:i cant complie. Cygwin says something about mkpasswd and mkgroup

nvm. I got it working thank you :)
No problem, its nice to see more people developing Quake on the PSP.
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Yeah i just started:)
UrbanKid

Hey ermm..hello

Post by UrbanKid »

Hey i am have this problem while compiling....

Curtis@Curtis-PC /cygwin/e/pdquake
make -f MakePHAT
make: MakePHAT: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'MakePHAT'. Stop.

I...suck at this.....sorry for any trouble i look at the first post in the first page and followed it....still got that problem
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Check what targets your makefile is offering (open your makefile with an editor).
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Dark Quake(DQUAKE) Does not compile with Cygwin. If you are compiling with Kurok or Quake, you would type:
cd Kurok
cd psp
You need to get into the psp Directory as well, and then type
make -f makefilenormal