Adding JPEG texture Support???

Post tutorials on how to do certain tasks within game or engine code here.
Stroggos

Adding JPEG texture Support???

Post by Stroggos »

is it possible to add JPEG suport into quake??? Because i dont like pcx's because they only support 8bpp and TGA are kool but take up too much space so JPEGs just solve all problems
Electro

Post by Electro »

JPG produces fairly rubbish artifacts on textures, as an artist I'd never want to use them for that.

Considered PNG? Or maybe pk3 support instead, and using tga's but in pk3's (you'll find they compress a lot).
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Urre

Post by Urre »

TGA's in pk3 compress as much as PNG does, unless you RLE compress the TGA, which makes it compress less inside a pk3. Avoid RLE.
I was once a Quake modder
mh

Post by mh »

Most Q1 engines out there feature JPEG support, adding it should be a simple matter of grabbing the source code, finding what's required, and doing it. OK, it's lossy and it can be crap, but I think it's still a valid thing to have.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
revelator

Post by revelator »

also tga has a really old bug where it flips textures which you then have to correct engine side ;).

jpeg is ok as long as you dont try alpha channel textures (looks really crap) png is quite a load better in that regard but can make load times a bit high if theres a lot of textures (especially if compressed inside a pak).

im toying with jasper support instead of jpeg since most of the ancient jpeg bugs have been fixed and its still developed.
Spike

Post by Spike »

reckless wrote:also tga has a really old bug where it flips textures which you then have to correct engine side ;).
Or you could just fix your TGA loader. But hey, whatever works...
revelator

Post by revelator »

wasnt that what i ment ?
"which you then have to correct engine side" 8)

assuming he started from square 1 :roll:

but yes apart from this tga is probably the best.

reason: tga copes better with being compressed inside paks.
and loads quite a bit faster than png.