Compiling on Mac OS X (detailed): Quake/FitzQuake/DarkPlaces

Post tutorials on how to do certain tasks within game or engine code here.
Baker

Compiling on Mac OS X (detailed): Quake/FitzQuake/DarkPlaces

Post by Baker »

Fruitz of Dojo - Covered in first post
DarkPlaces - Covered in second post
FitzQuake-SDL - Covered in third post

Here is a detailed description of how to compile Quake on a Mac. At first when I was playing around with OS X I found this a little frustrating:

This makes the assumption you aren't necessarily familiar with OS X and where stuff is and don't have XCode installed, Xcode being essentially the OS X equivalent of Visual Studio.

You can download Xcode from Apple.com (Use Google to find), but for OS X 10.5.2 had Xcode on DVD disk #2.

Going to use Fruitz of Dojo as the engine, the source and download is here.

Installing + Setting Up XCode

1. Insert DVD #2; the follow comes up, double click the Xcode Tools folder:

2. Double-click XcodeTools.mpkg; run the installer to install Xcode.

3, You also need gcc 3.3 for the Fruitz of Dojo port. Insert DVD #2 again if needed and double click on the Packages folder.

4. Double click on gcc3.3.pkg to install gcc 3.3

Starting XCode

1. Click Finder (the little happy guy on the dock at the bottom left of your screen

2. Click Developer → Applications → then double click Xcode

3. Click File → Open and locate Quake1.xcodeproj which in Fruitz of Dojo is located in the Mac OS X subfolder of the Fruitz of Dojo source. (For example, if the Fruitz of Dojo folder is on the Desktop, this would /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/Fruitz of Dojo/Mac OS X/quake1.xcodeproj)

4. Now have this on the screen. Click Build and Go, which will build and run it.

5. The End

If you are trying to compile FitzQuake-sdl you will need to download some stuff from the SDL site. Assuming all goes well I'll quickly document that too for both FitzQuakeSDL and DarkPlaces.
Baker

Post by Baker »

DarkPlaces

DarkPlaces is straightforward. This operates on the assumption you installed Xcode and gcc 3.3 in post #1.

(although I can't say for sure if DarkPlaces needs gcc3.3 or if it can use the gcc4.0 that installs by default).

1. Unzip your DarkPlaces folder by doubleclicking on the download.
2. Open that up and double-click on the darkplaces2008xxxsrc.zip, which will unzip the folder.

Now comes command line fun.

3. Click Finder (bottom left of dock)

4. Click Applications and then click Utilities and then Terminal

5. Yes, it's a Linuxy command line. You'll be using ls (equivalent of dir in windows), pwd (tells you where you are) and cd (same as cd in Windows, changes the dir).

OS X, like the DOS command prompt in XP/Vista, does have auto-complete of the path name. However, it is a case sensitive auto-complete so typing "cd d" and pressing tab WILL NOT match a directory that begins with a capital d.

Changedir into the darkplaces folder then into the darkplaces source folder which will also be called darkplaces.

Type make and it will give you a nice list of options.

Since you are on OS X, you should type "make sdl-release"

And it will be compiling. Run it typing ./darkplaces-sdl

Baker

Post by Baker »

FitzQuake SDL

FitzQuake SDL is the same as Fruitz of Dojo in the compile instructions --- Except you need the sdl_net.framework in order to be able to compile. This is not the same as having the sdl.framework as far as I know.

(The SDL_net project page says something about cross platform development).

sdl_net.framework: Get that at http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_net/, specifically this download.

And then drag the folder into Library/Frameworks, which you reach by clicking Finder and then Macintosh HD -> Library -> Frameworks. You'll see an SDL one in there that is already installed, you'll drag the "SDL_Net.framework" folder from the download into the Library -> Frameworks folder and when you are done, there will be an SDL one and a SDL_Net one.

Note: I don't claim to know the difference between the SDL.framework and the SDL_net.framework except the FitzQuake SDL Xcode project source wants the SDL_net.framework and that's what it got. Compiled wonderfully.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I don't use a mac, but I'm sure this will be very helpful to other people! What a great tutorial. Thanks, Baker!
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
dipalina

Post by dipalina »

How can I run Mac OS X on my Lenovo S10 Netbook? I have a Lenovo S10 Netbook running Windows XP. I would like to know how to boot Mac OS X on it along with the choice of XP.
Last edited by dipalina on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Simple, mr. spambot. You don't. Hackintoshes are illegal.
i should not be here
Swift

Post by Swift »

What about using Xcode as a QC IDE. = ]