Taking some advice given to me...

Need help with a tutorial found on InsideQC.com? Post here.
behind_you

Taking some advice given to me...

Post by behind_you »

alrit. i posted here a week or so ago and asked for a lot of help. I was told that i was going too fast and needed to slow down. you know what i say to that?! thank you to all those who stopped my reckless rampage. you know who you are. i took some advice and now im only going to ask for help on a few things and try to fully understand how to do them before moving on.

my first help request. how do i:

make certain enemies fight each other (ie some bots are with human players, some are against, and some attack everyone)

and

im making a model with animations but i can get quake to animate them properly. how do i tell quake which frames to animate at a specific time and in which order?

THANKS!

ps does proquake for psp have animation interpolation?

AND can this tutorial be done in hlbsp map format and how?
http://www.inside3d.com/showtutorial.php?id=196
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

for your animation problem study player.qc

i think your v_wep model if thats what you have made. also has to match your player models animation in 3rd person (frame wise) to work properly.
behind_you

Post by behind_you »

ceriux wrote:for your animation problem study player.qc

i think your v_wep model if thats what you have made. also has to match your player models animation in 3rd person (frame wise) to work properly.
first off, thanks for the quick reply

NOOB TIME: ready for this?

i have no idea what you are talking about. what r u explaining? my animation problem? if so, please reexplain. im sitting here scratchin my head........
frag.machine

Re: Taking some advice given to me...

Post by frag.machine »

behind_you wrote:my first help request. how do i:

make certain enemies fight each other (ie some bots are with human players, some are against, and some attack everyone)

and

im making a model with animations but i can get quake to animate them properly. how do i tell quake which frames to animate at a specific time and in which order?
First, some basic knowledge:

All the game logic is controlled using QuakeC, which is an interpreted language created for Quake, and thus most of the gameplay aspect can be customized without engine changes at all. You write your game iin QuakeC, compile it into a progs.dat (or qwprogs.dat if you're modding for QuakeWorld), place it inside a folder under the main Quake folder, and call glquake.exe -game <folder>. Bang, your mod is running.
Replace glquake.exe with your preferred engine, the rest is the same.

So, to your first question, the answer is quite simple: by default the Quake gameplay already has a .teamplay attribute defined for every entity in the game, so setting it properly and changing a bit of the ai.qc file would be enough to make bots fight together (or against) a player team.

In fact, IIRC the FrikBot mod already works in this way, so no need to coding at all. Download the FrikBot mod, read the instructions and it's very likely there's enough to your needs there.

For your second question, you can grasp the way animation works in Quake by reading the player.qc or any monster .qc file. I'd recomend to check first the monsters code since it's a bit more easy to understand.

Of course, you'll need to download the QuakeC source code to do that, and a QuakeC compiler (I recomend frikqccgui if you're not used to command line programs) if you want to experiment with it.

Good luck.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)