Ceriux's Nub Tutorials [Compiling a quake 1 .mdl]

Need help with a tutorial found on InsideQC.com? Post here.
ceriux

Ceriux's Nub Tutorials [Compiling a quake 1 .mdl]

Post by ceriux »

Ok lets start off by setting up our directories and explaining which tools we need.

So here's the list of tools i use:

1: a modeling program your used to, be it milkshape, 3ds max, or blender.

2: (this tutorial isnt for blender specific so you will need a tool for conversion) i use milkshape 3D

3: a tool to texture your model. idc if its paint just something.

4: quark - another conversion tool.

5: qme for misc. bs.

next your going to need a good directory to place all your stuff.

our directorys follow like this.

base: "C:\qmdl"

next we'll put our objs here.

obj srcs: base: "C:\qmdl\obj"

next, textures.

texture: "C:\qmdl\tex"

and lastly animations.

animation: "C:\qmdl\smd"

ok now that we're finished with all that and you've made sure all of your files are in the correct folders. lets get started assuming you already have your model made and in obj format. open up milkshape then go to "file>import>WAVEFRONT Obj..."

should look like this.

next, make sure everything is grouped as one. by going to the groups tab selecting all faces and pressing regroup.

then make sure your texture is a TGA and go to the materials tab. make sure that the path is pointed to the tga and that you also have your 256 quake palleted .bmp ready for later.

ok... to get the thing to compile to a format we can actually use we need to do a couple more steps... ( i know this looks like a lot... but its really not once you get used to it and get into a work flow using this the process is actually pretty fast)

ok next step. go into the "model" stab and select "joint" and place one some where close to your model preferably somewhere below it but close. select all of the vertecies and the joint and go to the joint TAB.

then go to tools>quakeIII arena> Generate control file.

in the set up your directories.

this is what mine looks like:

Code: Select all

// Quake III Arena MD3 control file, generated by MilkShape 3D
//
$model "C:\qmdl\pistol.md3"
// reference frame
//$frames -1 -1
// frame 1-30
$frames 1 1
$flags 0
$numskins 0

// you can have one or no parent tag

// tags

// meshes (surfaces)
$mesh "Cone01"
$skin "C:\qmdl\tex\tut_pistol.tga"
$flags 0
save that as what ever your going to save you md3 as in your base directory.

then go to file>export> quake III arena... export it as the same name as the .qc file you generated.

next open up quark.

and open your md3 in it.

after you have your .md3 open go to toolbox tab>texture browser

and then click "used skin textures" in the left side list. then click edit > import files> make file links. and import the bmp version of your texture. in the list click it copy it then go back to tool box>(your model name) tab.

after your back to your models tab, go down on the bottom left and look for "skins" paste your copied bmp there and delete the tga.

then go to file save as quake1.mdl

almost done, just open your model in qme, you'll notice a few things. but the only one im going to address is that the skin is wrong it looks all wrong.

its ok, just import your bmp again and replace the one that was there when you saved your new .mdl DONE.

here's the source for anyone who wants take a look at how i had set up everything.

qmdl.rar
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Nice :D!
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

nice tut ceriux, but I really need help with my stuff xD

you are going to go in a few days so im going to scout out I guess
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

I actually used this today. Thanks, Ceriux.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

good to see someones getting use.

biodude- keep track of my tutorials , im hoping to write out what you need or at least the basics before i go. actually your part of the reason im writing these.

EDIT: my next tutorial is short but its already up. expect a few more tomorrow (including .qc tutorials) im actually hoping to finish my series of nub tutorials tomorrow.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Nice and thanks!
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

You should have modeled a hand and trigger with the gun, it would have looked better.

Nice tutorial none the less.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

the model was only made to show what you had to do to make the model. it wasnt for something special. only to show the workflow so everyone had something to look at.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Anybody use the "Compile Quake 1 MDL" tool in Milkshape? Requires user to provide a .qc file as input.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i tried, but i never could get it working.
qbism

Post by qbism »

This .qc worked for exporting a view model. Used a .pcx texture. But the model/texture are too unfinished ATM to tell if texturing is good.

Code: Select all

$modelname "C:\quake\ID1\progs\v_rock2.mdl"
$skin "C:\quake\_models\test_rl.pcx"
$origin 0 0 0
$base base
$frame frame1 frame2 frame3 frame4 frame5 frame6 frame7 frame8 frame9 frame10
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Have you tried my model converter? Your "tutorial" is kind of hard to read and I'm not really sure what you're doing, but at least part of it should be possible with my converter... if you're having too much trouble with other programs.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
ceriux

Re: Ceriux's Nub Tutorials [Compiling a quake 1 .mdl]

Post by ceriux »

i have a new method since i came up with this , much more simple. maybe ill make something and record or make a similar (hopefully better) tutorial..
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

ceriux wrote:i have a new method since i came up with this , much more simple. maybe ill make something and record or make a similar (hopefully better) tutorial..
Yes please!! :o
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Seems rather stupid to me to save it as an md3 model and then convert it to mdl :roll: