ArrayElements emulation wrapper

Discuss programming topics that involve the OpenGL API.
leileilol

ArrayElements emulation wrapper

Post by leileilol »

Could this be done?
i should not be here
mh

Re: ArrayElements emulation wrapper

Post by mh »

As in a wrapper for vertex arrays? Sure, Quake 3 has a simple enough one. The only real difficulty is when you get glDrawElements (GL_TRIANGLES, ... being used to concatenate multiple polygons (which is what most modern titles do) as you would end up with (numverts - 2) * 3 verts per polygon; if you're vertex-bound (which you're probably not) that would make things significantly worse. (Q3A does runtime strip finding in that case, which seems a mite hairy to me, although it obviously worked well enough back then.)

I don't see why you'd want to though as vertex arrays are standard since OpenGL 1.1 and will always work faster than immediate mode.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Some MiniGLs don't.....
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Should be only the original Voodoo 1 (and the mini GLs from 97 onwards should support them as Q2 used vertex arrays). Seems a lot of work for hardware that nobody really has any more.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

SGL MiniGL 1.0.x.x do not support it, and Rendition VeriteGL doesn't support it I think either

I did attempt to make one, but unfortunately all I ran into is opengl cheats like wallhacks/depthhacks which are irrelevant to my quest.
i should not be here