3D Realms Plans QUAKE-Engine Shooter

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

bluesnews.com wrote:1C Entertainment, a global PC and console publisher will collaborate with 3D Realms, the developer of classic first-person shooters including Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, to bring Ion Maiden to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in Q2 2019, in addition to the previously announced Steam release. Both companies will also collaborate on a new unannounced FPS based on the original Quake engine coming to all the same platforms as Ion Maiden.

Ion Maiden’s exclusive multi-hour preview campaign is available on Steam Early Access for $19.99 in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Russian. The retro first-person shooter developed in the Build engine, which powered Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, and Shadow Warrior, will simultaneously release on all platforms Q2 2019 in both digital and physical formats. In this prequel to 2016’s Bombshell, Shelly has to take down transhumanist mastermind Dr. Jadus Heskel.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Re: 3D Realms Plans QUAKE-Engine Shooter

Post by toneddu2000 »

:?:
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Rectal Cancer. 'nuff said. :sad:

Sorry, I'd be more polite with my opinion, but this IS 3D Realms we're talking about here.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I heard that people from our community would be working on this project. If true and we were talking about sock or any mapper from the func_msgboard group I'd have my interest piqued.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Where did you hear that? Where? Whereeeee? :biggrin:
If that so, I could be quite hyped too. Not too much, the right amount
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

In the article comments. BUT, I must stress, there's absolutely zero confirmation, so let's stick to the announce content.
EDIT: Okay, according with this article, it's official: the guys from Arcane Dimensions (hey, sock! Glad to see your talent is being recognized man!) are indeed working for 3DRealms in a Quake engine-based game. There is even a GIF (which I tried to paste in, but apparently because we are stuck in the non-HTTPS Hell, won't show).
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I read the article, it says its still unconfirmed rumor? :confused: :?:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

The 3 secs are pretty awesome! :biggrin: It shows a quake style of course, but a level that seems to have a decent amount of tris even for this century! :biggrin:
I think that, if sock is involved, he'll probably write some words on this forum
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

toneddu2000 wrote:The 3 secs are pretty awesome! :biggrin: It shows a quake style of course, but a level that seems to have a decent amount of tris even for this century! :biggrin:
I think that, if sock is involved, he'll probably write some words on this forum
@Dr. Shadowborg: Let's say it's in a "quantic state". :)
@toneddu2000: I suspect he may not be reading us anymore or not allowed to comment due some NDA or contractual clause. Otherwise any chance to learn from him something about this project would be greater at Func_MsgBoard.
r00k

Post by r00k »

i saw the same stains on the wall in the bathroom; but want to see this come out into something really cool. If sock is involved he might be bound to a contractual shhtfu thingy.
so im sure in his uber secret lab he is making something awesome; in the spirit of quakeness
:shock:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Yup.
IMHO:

pros: it's polished, for a Quake-based game, but this was kinda expected. I'm curious to know which source fork they are using (probably QuakeSpasm derivated).
Map looks good, textures are well done and faithful to the 90's style with a bit more color and slightly higher resolutions, enough to add interesting details.

cons: it lacks imagination, sadly. Hey, zombies! Like, pretty much Quake zombies. But wait, you can gib them and they keep walking! And also there is the radioactive variant that explodes and spreads green goo. And the flying scragg, oh it's not a scragg, although it does scraggy things like fly over you and spit over your head. Let me guess, there is also a shambler-type monster that fires... lightning bolts ?

Also, it's 2019 and there are monsters getting stuck in the corners and failing to follow the player from one room to another. This was acceptable in the original Quake era, not nowadays.

I had hope on this one, but at the best we will get a Quake TC.

EDIT: spelling and added couple more things.
KillPixel

Post by KillPixel »

Hey frag.machine, thanks for the feedback and I agree and think they're all solid points. I'd like to take a moment to address them.
it lacks imagination [etc]
I feel you. What we've shown so far are some of the lesser/early monsters (basically just the grunts), which are rather derivative and simple (as well as fairly alpha, the zombies for example will have a variety of skins and animations). These aren't indicative 12-15 units strong bestiary, which I think is bringing a number of cool things to the table.

This level (level 1 or 2) is also fairly mundane (a swamp of ruins) but is the only level of its type throughout the 15 levels. Each level has a unique visual and mechanical theme - this is the only brown/green swamp in the game.
Also, it's 2019 and there are monsters getting stuck in the corners and failing to follow the player from one room to another. This was acceptable in the original Quake era, not nowadays.
I hear you loud and clear on this, too. We're working on modernizing quake in this regard, though it's proving challenging with the type of levels we have. I believe we're on to something at least *adequate*, but of course we'll do the best we can.
I had hope on this one, but at the best we will get a Quake TC.
I don't believe (and hope) this will be case, as this is something we're specifically trying to avoid.

We're showing our hand slowly and I hope you won't give up on it just yet - there's bigger and better stuff on the horizon!

-kp
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Hi KillPixel, glad to meet you! I never saw you around, are you one of the "old guard" of inside3d staff?

Personally I really like the look and feel of Wrath, I really really wish you the best, even because, as a selfish thought, I desperately need games like thise nowadays! :biggrin:

Some questions:
  1. Some user on YouTube said you're using Darkplaces engine, is it correct? Do you plan to make changes to it and release it?
  2. Are you also thinking to use Darkplaces' r_shadow_bouncegrid pseudo-global illumination or to improve it?
  3. As somebody knows, I'm a huge fan of FTE game engine and I adore Spike's work on maintaining, updating and fixing the engine (also with Eukara's help, of course). Can I ask you if you took in consideration to use FTE and, if yes, why then you didn't use it?
  4. Do you plan to add any physics engine (ODE, Bullet or PhysX) to add cinematic visuals like ragdolls, or cave debris fall down, barrels explode, etc
Best luck and keep making great things on Wrath, I wanna buy it!! :biggrin:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Hey KillPixel, welcome to the catacombs of InsideQC, where the light never reaches and the remains of former Quake modders and engine coders shamble and wail. :P

I understand your points, and rest assured I haven't gave up on Wraith, but surely I toned down a bit my expectations. I know it is HARD to come up with something new, specially when there is this untold association with the original Quake. That said, my $0.02 here remains: don't fall in the trap of doing something that just feels derivative, more of the same. People won't have interest in something that can be easily confounded with another Quake mod. I am sure you guys can pull another AD, but the risk of being too similar may dilute the interest and the impact.

Also, regarding the navigation: some time ago I made experiments using "breadcrumb" entities in a circular queue (similar to the corpse queue used in deathmatch) that allowed NPCs and monster AI to follow the player. A 8 entity queue performed surprisingly well even with fairly complex geometry involving corners, ramps and stairs. Let me know if you guys have interest in some QuakeC code, but I think the general idea is reasonably simple to implement.

Otherwise, good luck and please, prove me I was wrong. :D