retiring

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

retiring

Post by revelator »

After years of sickness i finally got operated on my broken back as some will now by now.
Unfortunatly the only coding i have been doing in the last years are compiler related, and i forgot about most of the pitfalls
of 3d programming. I been trying to get back in the "game" these last few months, but with the changes to OS and sources i been working on previously im playing catch up on things i no longer fully understand anymore.

Ill still do work on compilers and support libraries, open watcom for one (the DOS guys might like that) :wink:
And im also doing some support on the Msys2 MinGW-w64 compilers,
lately i fixed compiler-rt for clang to build on 32 bit archs, it works quite ok for building quake allready with codeblocks :biggrin:

But for now im retiring my work in 3D, but who knows maybe some day ill be back :smile:

You can still get in touch with me here, in case you need some help with CodeBlocks / MinGW / Open Watcom,
or some obscure library.

All the best.
Productivity is a state of mind.
frag.machine

Re: retiring

Post by frag.machine »

I suspect most of us (except for Spike) are in the same situation. Hope you hang lurking around anyway.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

Ill still be here m8 no worries :smile:
r00k

Post by r00k »

You should write more; the boundaries of the mind exponentially exceed the confines of our existence.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

wow, quite sad, I must say. I wish you all the best and I hope you'll write here some post from time to time. Also because, without you, Spike and frag.machine, practically there's no one left that remained from inside3d :biggrin:
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
revelator

Post by revelator »

Mh still visits from time to time also :), but the old garde has become well... old heh.
Ill still visit from time to time also, but i was newer one of the ace programmers here to begin with, most of what i know i learned from the previous generation here as well, but programming today has become so advanced that im having a hard time keeping up. Im still toying a bit with some old school projects and my own version of the xash engine. But most of it are just sideprojects these days since i cannot stay awake for days like i used to hehe.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

the old garde has become well... old heh.
yeah, unfortunately the new one is still missing on this forum, aye!
but i was newer one of the ace programmers here to begin with, most of what i know i learned from the previous generation here as well
Well, that depends from point of views.. I always found your skills fascinating, and, most of all you talked about subjects that no one ever did in this forum, so..

Code: Select all

programming today has become so advanced that im having a hard time keeping up
Yeah, I feel the same way.. Today, at least in Italy, I dunno in the rest of the planet, for a job interview in programming, you must be PERFECT for the job. Are you front end web developer? Then you MUST know perfectly (apart from the obvious html5+css3+javascript oop + typescript) angular, view, react, grunt, npm, foundation, sass, less, and obviuous, git (but also svn + cvs perfectly), SQL server, Azure cloud, Illustrator, Photoshop and Flash!
Which, technically, I'm quite close to the profile, but when they say: "Do you know Drupal?" And you say: "Of course, I used Drupal 7 for 5 years!" And they: "Oh, I'm sorry, we're looking a for a Drupal 8 dev!", you know there's something off in the situation. I friend of mine told me that in the 80's till half to the 90's, when a computer technician (not even a programmer) walked into a room, everyone gazed at him, as he was a wizard or president! :) When Windows 95 kicked in, things changed a bit and in eary 2000, talks like:"What?! so much money for a web application? My 13 old cousin son, with 50 bucks, makes me the same work!" became the standard!

Can I ask you a favour? Since tomorrow I'm gonna present my first commercial game here, on the forum, could you please postpone the retirement for just one day? :razz: :lol:
Because I'd really like to see your professional opinion about it! :)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

the old garde has become well... old heh.
yeah, unfortunately the new one is still missing on this forum, aye!
but i was newer one of the ace programmers here to begin with, most of what i know i learned from the previous generation here as well
Well, that depends from point of views.. I always found your skills fascinating, and, most of all you talked about subjects that no one ever did in this forum, so..

Code: Select all

programming today has become so advanced that im having a hard time keeping up
Yeah, I feel the same way.. Today, at least in Italy, I dunno in the rest of the planet, for a job interview in programming, you must be PERFECT for the job. Are you front end web developer? Then you MUST know perfectly (apart from the obvious html5+css3+javascript oop + typescript) angular, view, react, grunt, npm, foundation, sass, less, and obviuous, git (but also svn + cvs perfectly), SQL server, Azure cloud, Illustrator, Photoshop and Flash!
Which, technically, I'm quite close to the profile, but when they say: "Do you know Drupal?" And you say: "Of course, I used Drupal 7 for 5 years!" And they: "Oh, I'm sorry, we're looking a for a Drupal 8 dev!", you know there's something off in the situation. I friend of mine told me that in the 80's till half to the 90's, when a computer technician (not even a programmer) walked into a room, everyone gazed at him, as he was a wizard or president! :) When Windows 95 kicked in, things changed a bit and in eary 2000, talks like:"What?! so much money for a web application? My 13 old cousin son, with 50 bucks, makes me the same work!" became the standard!

Can I ask you a favour? Since tomorrow I'm gonna present my first commercial game here, on the forum, could you please postpone the retirement for just one day? :razz: :lol:
Because I'd really like to see your professional opinion about it! :)
revelator

Post by revelator »

Sure ill have a look at it :).
With ace programmer i mean im not good with certain math like algebra, which you pretty damn well need to know if you want to make headway into the programming world. With the older engines i could get away with it because even though my algebra sucks i was pretty good at other kinds of math like pythagoras. Still it took me quite a while to calculate things when i wanted to do something a bit more complicated, and today it would probably take me years to get everything to line up.

Reason i suck at it is because at the time we had it in school the teachers barely understood it themselfes.
So i had noone to turn to when things got hairy. Today its more common but in the 70's where i went to school it was only in the big cities and the universities there that had a good grasp of it. I lived countryside then so ergh :S. Also the really complicated stuff i learned much later when i took my exam in electronics.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

No, my story was different. I didn't learn math at school..because.. I was a frigging donkey! :lol:
revelator

Post by revelator »

Well i hope you got better at it then :) i newer quite grasped it after school.

Heres something the dos guys might find handy https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadva ... z/download

this is an ansi dos emulator with 4dos shell and several freedos tools.
It also has the old doszip commander :) and can be configured to run most dos stuff via the autoexec.txt (autoexec.bat) or config.txt (config.sys), but its not like dosbox as it does not emulate old gfx cards, so if you want to game with it make sure that the game in question is dos only and not some halfbreed win9x dos thingy. It does not support opengl direct3d glide or any other mode besides surface. But its quite better at running dos tools than dosbox is.

It also supports long filenames, printing, ansi colors, and ofc all the other stuff that 4dos made possible.
Win3.11 will not run on it, its pure dos.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Well, dos guys sure love it! :biggrin: Since I considered myself a noob (as not "THE" noob), I used DosBox to run old glories of videogames as Screamer2.
But sure it's cool to see these projects alive and running!
revelator

Post by revelator »

dos emulators are cool but they do tend to be ressource hogs.
You could run say the old Blood game with dosbox but only barely on a core i7 3930k and im not even sure thats the worst of em hehe. The best dos is the one you have on your pc, sadly its not very easy to get dos to dualboot with win 7 or god forbid win 10, so we resort to emulators to get around all the sillyness :P
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Have you had problems with windows 10? Because I read a lot of people talking against it. Personally I considered it the best operating system I used, maybe second only to Ubuntu 7 (or 6, I forgot, anyway before ubuntu becoming that commercial sh*t is right now, slow as #@]#)
revelator

Post by revelator »

I had some problems with it, but the worst is the default security settings that default to allowing microsoft full access to my PC, as if i did not have enough problems keeping spyware crap out of it in the first place. Atleast once you get all the crap disabled its pretty solid, but the forced updates have a tendency of resetting everything to default and thats a big nono in my book.

As for ubuntu i havent tried it in some time, i use zorin os which is a derivate of ubuntu i think, but theres nothing slow about that one at least :).

I also used to use PC bsd which is a bit different (more like OSX) but it had some problems with my hardware back then.
It still exists allthough i seem to remember it changing name to something else.

Hell i even use Win2k and OS/2 from virtual machines :) especially for using the older msvc compilers like msvc 6 which used to work on win 7 but some patch has ruined that (installer hangs).