Is there a way to contact Urre?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
toneddu2000

Is there a way to contact Urre?

Post by toneddu2000 »

Self-explanatory title. I implemented years ago a CSQC-only version of Urre's Twig physics engine, but I never released it because I don't know if it's GPLed or other sh*t alike license. I'd like to contact Urre and ask him if he could be so kind to re-release Twig (maybe a new version to avoid misunderstanding) under MIT on GitHub, so I could integrate it into craFTEr. That would be cool to have real physics in FTE. Even if Twig is maybe too simplistic, adding skeleton-driven collisions shouldn't be too hard, I guess

Anyone knows how to reach him?

Thanks in advance for any hint
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Max_Salivan

Re: Is there a way to contact Urre?

Post by Max_Salivan »

https://www.youtube.com/user/Urre5
last video was made one month ago
Sorry for my english :)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks Max_Salivan! I'd have preferred a mail account, but, what the heck, it's better than nothing! :biggrin:
Urre

Post by Urre »

First of all, you should've wrote a comment on one of my videos or something, I spend several hours a day on youtube. If you did, I missed it and I'm sorry. It's super uncanny that when I for nostalgias sake go and browse this forum, I see my name mentioned. God knows how many years it's been since last time. It's weird and funny enough that I will grant your request and release an MIT version on github. I need a go-ahead from LadyHavoc as well though since she co-authored it, so it's not happening today. Considering you wrote this in September maybe that's ok :)
I was once a Quake modder
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Wow, thanks a lot Urre! I did send you a comment on a One-button Baja Bug test video, but it wasn't related to Twig. Anyway, even if Twig it's super old now, it's still in my opinion a great addition to Quake engine, even considering that the only physics system FTE has is ODE, which, it's.. how can I say.. a little unstable? :lol:

If you will be able to realease Twig as MIT, it will be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Cheers

PS: what are you working on right now? The rope physics test in which engine runs?
Urre

Post by Urre »

Twig is also quite unstable, but I mean if you like it, you like it. What license does the recently opensourced PhysX have? It's pretty good, probably the most robust 3D physics engine right now, could look at that too. Not saying it's robust, it's unfortunately just the best currently from what I've seen.

What I'm working on now, uh, nothing Quake related for a long time. I most recently released a VR game called Budget Cuts, and I'm doing work on a free DLC for that game at the moment. I do almost exclusively stuff in Unity now, like the rope physics thing you mentioned. I was intending to release a lib, but ran out of time to spend on it, preferred other things. Might pick up again.

I also started this post-mortem video series of sorts, on Budget Cuts development.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Urre wrote:Twig is also quite unstable, but I mean if you like it, you like it. What license does the recently opensourced PhysX have? It's pretty good, probably the most robust 3D physics engine right now, could look at that too. Not saying it's robust, it's unfortunately just the best currently from what I've seen.
I didn't even know that PhysX had been opensourced! :) Yeah, probably twig is not 100% stable (personally I used it with no problems) but it could have been a good addition to FTE and craFTEr, even if I don't touch craFTEr in a while. I always thought that a working 3d editor with simple physics could be a lot of fun! :lol:
Urre wrote: What I'm working on now, uh, nothing Quake related for a long time. I most recently released a VR game called Budget Cuts, and I'm doing work on a free DLC for that game at the moment. I do almost exclusively stuff in Unity now, like the rope physics thing you mentioned. I was intending to release a lib, but ran out of time to spend on it, preferred other things. Might pick up again.
Wow I loved that game, didn't know you were involved! Congrats!
Great video, I posted a comment, you should keep doing those videos, they're so fun! :biggrin:

Personally I'm spending every month fewer and fewer time on this forum and with FTE in general. I still not sure if I should use FTE for a second commercial game..there are lots of things that I prefer doing with FTE respect with Unity (Unreal it's not even mentioned because I hate Blueprints..) but, unfortunately rendering and physics subsystems shoud be recreate from the ground up.. so..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Urre wrote: What I'm working on now, uh, nothing Quake related for a long time. I most recently released a VR game called Budget Cuts, and I'm doing work on a free DLC for that game at the moment.
Whoa, I second tonnedu2000 on that! Didn't know you were behind Budget Cuts, great job, buddy. Happy to see a fellow Quake modder creating one of the few "not-gimmicky" (I am afraid I just invented this word :P) VR games out there. Congrats!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Urre

Post by Urre »

Gee thanks guys, it means a lot! And I will totally continue with the videos, I kinda can't wait to have time to do a new one really, it was so much fun. Just gotta take care of some other biz first so I can relax and do fun stuff again.

I haven't tried blueprints, but I think UDK kismet was fine for making level logic and puzzles, and I can imagine blueprints being fine for that sort of thing too. C++ for gameplay might be a bit heavy of an undertaking for a lot of people tho.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I haven't tried blueprints, but I think UDK kismet was fine for making level logic and puzzles, and I can imagine blueprints being fine for that sort of thing too. C++ for gameplay might be a bit heavy of an undertaking for a lot of people tho.
Trust me, I used UDK too, blueprints has NOTHING to do with Kismet! It's like coding in C++ but visually, so you need to have clearly OOP in mind (which it's fair) but every planning requires MUCH more study than actually write code. Personally I consider it a fail by Epic, but, it seems I'm the only one thinking it.. so probably it's just me! :biggrin:

Unity is fine, I like prefabs system, components and C# integration is wonderful. But I don't like the 3d view at all, I mean, they acquired ProGrids and ProBuilder but grids seemed to remain stupid as the old days and prepping a level is for me an impossible task.
FTE is so sexy in this way.. you download a 5MB .exe, you launch it and..there's nothing! You have to do everything on you're own! :biggrin:
Urre

Post by Urre »

I got a go ahead, so I'll be doing the things in the following week hopefully! I'm thinking I'll do zlib license instead of MIT since it seems simpler.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks Urre, really appreciated! I don't have experience with zlib license, what do you mean "simpler"(simpler for creation process or for licensee rights)? Anyway, as long it's compatible with mit and closed source code, I think it'd good. Compatibility with closed source code it's quite crucial, because devs could use craFTEr (or portions of the code) to integrate SteamWorks api, bypassing GPL engine code. I never tried but I think it could be doable
Urre

Post by Urre »

I did some more reading, and found that MIT was in fact superior (in my mind) because it had one less caveat, so I went with that after all. I saw Icculus had some reservations when it came to using MIT, but it seemed esoteric and doesn't matter in this context.

A tiny bump in the road however, I don't actually have, nor can I find Twig anywhere!

Therefore I went with the next best thing, and released my one button car game source under MIT instead. It uses Twig, so Twig is included basically.

I could do the same for the actual Twig source if someone points where I can get it :D
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

First of all, thanks Urre for all your effort to release your code under open source, you're great! :biggrin:

Regarding twig source code, don't worry, you're in good hands! :lol: I've the twig060109 version, is this the latest? I can send you via mail or PM, let me know which method do you prefer.

Strapbombcar release: WOW, thanks A LOT for that! It's one of the projects that gives me the spirit to start learning programming! A little note, though: when you have a little of time, please add at least an indication of the license in the top part of every file. It's important to make the project a "whole block" of code under same license.

Thanks again for your time and kindness

PS: One day I really want to know Icculus's esoteric reservations about MIT! :biggrin:
Urre

Post by Urre »

Thanks for the kind words!

No idea what is the latest version, as far as I know I only released it once and never updated it, so it's probably the latest! Sounds like it's 10 years old also, which is cute.

Send to marko.permanto@gmail.com please!

The reservation was just from this here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4328