Q U A KE D R O I D - Android Multi-Touch Quake

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Baker

Q U A KE D R O I D - Android Multi-Touch Quake

Post by Baker »

http://quakeone.com/quakedroid/
Feedback thread @ func: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61558

QuakeDroid is a modern multi-touch Android Quake with Minecraft style controls (drag look, tap fire).

It should work on all Android devices made in the last 5-6 years.

The page has great detail on how to load your vanilla Quake maps and such on it.

Without the knowledge imparted by everyone in the engine forum, especially mh and Spike it unlikely I would have even scaled up over time to make such a thing.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Re: Q U A KE D R O I D - Android Multi-Touch Quake

Post by frag.machine »

Nice! Very impressive... I'll try it in my measly phone. :P
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Post by Baker »

I've had 20-25 people try it on their phones and reply about their experience @ func. I made a lot of docs showing how to access your Quake folder to try to make it mapper/modder friendly.

Worked on every Android except one's 6 or 7 year old Kindle which might not meet the minimum requirements.

Unless your phone is over 5 years old, should easily work based on the feedback.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I used to have a Galaxy S2 until about 2 years ago when the USB interface stopped charging the battery (a known design issue in the model according some posts in phone forums). I am not a smartphone heavy user so I got a Galaxy J5. Far from top of line stuff but up to the task I believe. Thanks for the effort to bring Quake to the mobile world! It looks like we will be able to keep fragging for some more years (at least until someone port it to brain chip implants... :D )

EDIT: BTW since you are fiddling with mobile and Quake, an updated version of this would be amazing.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Julius

Post by Julius »

Hehe, yes AR-Quake would be awesome... but probably better done with Mozilla's A-Frame.

But you are right, it would be nice if this was to become an advanced Quake engine on Android. I personally would be especially interested in DaydreamVR support.
There is an old Darkplaces CardboardVR port for which I have mirrored the source here: https://github.com/poVoq/Quake-1-Cardboard-Port-QVR
Maybe that could be a start? The author of it has recently stated that he isn't planning to port it himself in the near future, so I am sure he wouldn't mind if there was some re-use of code (assuming that the CardboardVR stuff is at least somewhat similar to the later DaydreamVR).

Cool would be also a Vulkan renderer... here is a recent effort to have it on Android: https://github.com/SaschaWillems/vkQuake
Baker

Post by Baker »

@julius -- Those are interesting ideas. Particularly the VR thoughts. Long-term the VR idea sounds good --- caused me to poke through the Quakespasm Rift source code to quickly gauge how much modification in general is needed to support VR. Looks like something interesting to do in the long-term.

QuakeDroid has scaled up a bit and has OpenGL version in addition to the WinQuake renderer version and game controller support. (The OpenGL version does have replacement texture support top to bottom using the DarkPlaces replacement texture naming convention using .tga files). The beta testing build is in the Func_Msgboard thread.

Still has some things I'm trying to hammer out before getting another stable release out, but most of them are refinements or ironing out stuff that needs a little polish (setting texturemode in the video options menu doesn't work for example, screenshots taken in Android are portrait instead of landscape as another example).

Julius

Post by Julius »

Any updates on this?

With the recent release of OcculusGo & Mirage Solo it would be really nice to have an up to date Quake VR port again that works with the 3DOF controller of both platforms.
It's really a shame that no open-source game engine properly supports mobile VR at this point :(
Baker

Post by Baker »

I engine code a couple of months a year really intensely, then I take a break for 8-10 months passively seeing what feedback/bug reports/ideas people post and occasionally trying to determine to scope out what I want to do next round.

QuakeDroid is likely to be a permanently maintained and updated project like Mark V is.

So there will be updates in the future. And I like the VR idea.

It is likely to be implemented in the future at some point.
Julius

Post by Julius »

Not directly related, but there is now a DaydreamVR and GearVR port of Darkplaces with 3DOF controller support:

https://github.com/DrBeef/QVR-Daydream
https://github.com/DrBeef/QuakeGVR