EPIC RELEASES US$12M OF PARAGON CONTENT FOR FREE

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
frag.machine

EPIC RELEASES US$12M OF PARAGON CONTENT FOR FREE

Post by frag.machine »

Although the assets are for the Unreal engine, they stlll may be of interest to someone...

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/paragon
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Julius

Re: EPIC RELEASES US$12M OF PARAGON CONTENT FOR FREE

Post by Julius »

Understandable from their point of view, but the license really makes it impossible to use outside of UE4 projects.

But I hope this becomes a general trend, as we reached a level of graphics that even stuff from older games can be well reused in newer titles. I just wish they would choose a free software compatible license.
toneddu2000

Re: EPIC RELEASES US$12M OF PARAGON CONTENT FOR FREE

Post by toneddu2000 »

I could store this kind of assets in the "smoke in the eyes" category. Just marketing moves, that's it. From 2011, Epic asset license permits you to use their assets inside their tools only, and that's it. You can't even export textures outside their editor (UDK/UE4) so this just leads to millions of cloned kinda-games (note the kinda prefix) for bored teenagers that profess themselves as "gamedevs" (lets just write it without spaces because it's cooleerrr, whohoo.. bleah)
A different thing would be "we release 1 texture and 1 model of our $12M blah content package under CC0 license because we want to make a gift for the game community". This would be seriously great and appreaciated. But that will never happen from Epic guys. At least it's what I think, but I'm pessimistic person!

A small note for everyone willing to create a commercial game with UE4/unity5: remember to read CAREFULLY license agreement when you start developing your game. Every engine that is subjected to any kind of royalties requires that you keep track of your commercial records in EVERY fiscal year, from the very first moment you release your game, until you decide your game will never be updated (by updated, usually, engine companies mean even if you change a GUI texture or a sound, without directly touching their tools).
What does it mean? Well, if you earned 200000$ or 500000$ with your game, you shouldn't have problems to pay 10/15.000$ to your business consultant to keep track of every penny earned with your game (and, of course, to distinguish from money you earned from other works, like job consultant, web site development and so on).. but.. if your gross (not net) revenues are around 5000/10000$ and subtracting taxes, electrlcity, food, etc. you earned only 3000 /7000$.. well, that would be a real burden to keep track by yourself of every Steam/Gog/whatever transaction.. and.. when Unity one day will ask you (and they have the right to do it): "hey, show us your records from 2018 and 2022, because we think you earned much more than what you just noted".. that would be a real pain in the ...

Sorry for the rant, it's just that think kind of arguments makes me feel a little nervous
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine