QUIP - a community project?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
silverjoel

QUIP - a community project?

Post by silverjoel »

As a long time fan of Quake, I have wanted to bring the game into a more modern engine. I have admired the DarkMod ever since they created it and am somewhat surprised that Quake has never had a project similar to that.

So, here is QUIP (Quake Update and Improvement Project).

I have ported many Quake things (textures, maps, sounds from Eargasm) over to idtech4 and used some stuff that is out there to bring it all together (Shambler's Castle for Doom 3, watermod for Doom 3). Idtech4 seems to be a fantastic engine that still holds up pretty well and the def and script files are very similar to quakec. Here's how it looks so far:

https://youtu.be/xoGtkeYCQR8

Sorry about the sound sync, I haven't played with demos that much.

I am going to continue to work on this if there are others that want to help or not. As of right now, I am stuck as a Doom 3 mod, as I only dabble (not very advanced) as an engine coder. For those that know the idtech4 forks, which would be a good one to proceed with? The biggest need would probably be models. There are only the Shambler's Castle monsters (shambler, vore, scrag, demon) to work with now. There are some models that are rigged for blender (soldier, player, dog, ogre) that could be converted to md5. I don't know about modeling and blender is not something I am going to spend months learning. I seem to be rambling now.

So, anyone interested in building a Quake community project?
toneddu2000

Re: QUIP - a community project?

Post by toneddu2000 »

Cool project silverjoel, unfortunately video resolution is too low to look at details, but it seems well done. Regarding blender and models, if you say there are models on the net already modeled and rigged in Blender format, I suggest you to use motorsep md5 exporter which it should convert properly.

And for using these models, you don't need to learn Blender, just remember that Blender uses right mouse to select (Ctrl Alt U to open preferences and go to Input tab to choose left mouse click for select), A key to select/deselect all, tab key to enter/exit edit mode, shift + f5 to go to 3d view, and shift + f12 to go to animation view (so you can see if those models are properly animated).
Then select model -> File -> export -> md5. Done! :biggrin:

For my experience, if you want to create a project, keep in mind you'll probably be on your own, so start learning modeling, texturing and coding.

PS:it's a shame Idtech4 never had the attention it deserved. It's more used quake1 engine than doom3 one!
Oh, for a modern version of idtech4 bfg engine, take a look at motorseep Steel Storm 2 engine!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
silverjoel

Post by silverjoel »

Yeah, Doom 3 is weird when it comes to creating videos. One has to make the demo (easy of course), use the command "avidemo" which one would think makes an avi, but nope, it creates a bunch of tga images and a wav file which takes forever at higher resolutions, and then use a program that converts the images and wav into an avi. I'll figure out something to get some better video.

Several people have had trouble with exporting md5 models from blender. It would seem simple enough, but it's just not. Even good modelers, like teamonster, have trouble with it. I haven't really been interested in modeling for the 20+ years I've been messing with Quake, I doubt I'm going to start now.

As far as this "project", I'm just doing this for fun. I've already converted most things needed into Doom 3, I started a while ago as a way to familiarize myself with idtech4 while building a base of everything I needed. All I really have left is to go through the levels and put in lights and entities.

I actually downloaded the storm engine source a while ago, I just haven't played with it yet. If no one is interested in Quake in idtech4, I'll just keep it in Doom 3. That way I have substitute things, like the zsec shotgun guys. I even have an idea for chthon using the imps. Maybe the Doom guys would be more interested.
pitchatan

Post by pitchatan »

silverjoel wrote:Yeah, Doom 3 is weird when it comes to creating videos. One has to make the demo (easy of course), use the command "avidemo" which one would think makes an avi, but nope, it creates a bunch of tga images and a wav file which takes forever at higher resolutions, and then use a program that converts the images and wav into an avi. I'll figure out something to get some better video.

www.obsproject.com is probably what you are looking for. Much more manegable and is made for both streaming and high quality video creation in terms of games.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Interesting video. Must have been a lot of work.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
silverjoel

Post by silverjoel »

I'll check out that OBS Studio. Thanks for that, I found one other one, can't think of the name right now, but I could only record 30 second video. Hopefully this one will work.

And yes, it's been a bunch of work. Not really hard work, but tedious. I'm going back through all of the textures now, deleting normal maps that are used multiple times to cut down on the size and I'm just about done. I could release the textures and material files soon, so people can use them and check for any errors.
silverjoel

Post by silverjoel »

Thanks a lot for the OBS Studio link. That was exactly what I needed. Here are a couple of videos:

Start map - E1M2-ish (E1M2 is pretty much just ambient light right now)
https://youtu.be/izw5Cgumj20

Weapon and Ammo models (lighting gun needs work)
https://youtu.be/bHtrJ-iJoR0

Button/Switches Test
https://youtu.be/SUk8xbBc-vg

Exploding Boxes and current liquid textures test which will change.
https://youtu.be/-fzk34qGIbc

That's it for now. A lot of work to do, but I'm getting all of the base assets to where I want them.
Question: what's a good large file hosting site? Mod DB? I could release the textures/material files pretty soon if anyone wants to play around with them. It wouldn't be a finished release, as I plan on tweaking things a littler more. And than if the engine I eventually go with has true glow textures and gloss maps... more work. I'm going to post a new thread in the Project Showcase area soon, for those that want to follow the progress.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Very cool, great job silverjoel! I like very much the fade out transition when player approaches to the slipgate. Probably camera shaking when hurt doesn't feel right for a fast-paced game like Quake.

Funny thing is that lighting reminds me a lot the style of DarkPlaces! :biggrin: But, iirc LordHavoc used Doom3 lighting system

Now you "only" need to update characters sounds and grunt models! :biggrin: Somewhere on QuakeOne forums a talented guy recreated some Quake characters in Blender..probably exporting them to .md5 format shouldn't be so hard.. hint hint! :biggrin:

Keep up the good work!
silverjoel

Post by silverjoel »

Just a little update.

I decided to use Storm Engine 2 as my base for a stand alone engine. It's a nice engine that has some good additions over the regular BFG. I've been going through the code to familiarize myself with it, as there are some changes.

I am about where I was with the standard Doom 3 engine, but of course I don't have the base assets of Doom 3 to work with anymore. I'm currently working on a base particle set which will be easier thanks to Phrozo's particles for Doom 3.

I suppose I haven't stated my ultimate goal. QUIP itself is going to be my version of the Quake universe, a blend of Quake and Quake 2; that is my own part of this project. In order to accomplish this, I need many of the assets from both of those games, so i might as well import all of the assets and have both Quake and Quake 2 be playable. Within the QUIP engine, one will be able to select which game to play: Quake, Quake 2, QUIP and possibly Quake 3 (I'm not much of multiplayer, but I'll still give that option). Meaning a single engine to play all older Quake games. I've been testing the multi-game aspect and it's working as intended so far.

It's going to be a while, so don't expect anything too fast. It's just myself working on this. If anyone knows of some assets that can help move this along faster, please let me know.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Cool!Storm engine 2 seems very interesting. motorsep added lots of features in it. Keep in mind it's kinda discontinued iirc
If anyone knows of some assets that can help move this along faster, please let me know.
Well' I just released craFTEr and almost 1GB of assets. Nothing Quake related but there are 2 categories for now, industrial and gothic, so maybe, in all that mess, you'll find something useful! :biggrin: Every model or texture is CC0 licensed

Good luck with your project!