Tourism mod for Quake

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
frag.machine

Tourism mod for Quake

Post by frag.machine »

And looks like someone made a "tourism mod" for those *cough*wussies*cough* who would prefer to explore all Quake maps without worrying about being molested by the monsters. That's right, now you can walk through Necropolis and dance in front of a ogre and it will ignore you, like a British Royal Guard.
I really must became old, because I used to have fun killing them all first and them explore calmly every nook in the map. Oh well, here is the link. Damn kids, ruining all the fun...
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Nahuel

Re: Tourism mod for Quake

Post by Nahuel »

a walk simulator based in quake ?
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I'm surprised they didn't code up a bot to walk players through "exhibits" explaining what the gamers of yesteryear used to do there. :razz:

Just imagine:

Tourist: "What did the ogres use the chainsaws for?"
Tour Guide: "Players would run away screaming from them, while the ogres chased them, randomly revving the chainsaws and firing grenades at them."
Tourist: "Scary, glad I don't have to do that."

Or:

Tour Guide: "And here, on hard difficulty, a second Shambler would teleport in after players killed the first one."
Tourist: *gasps* "With no time to regenerate health?!"
Tour Guide: "Yeah, plus there were secret areas with goodie caches inside to find while exploring. And alternate routes through levels."
Tourist: *head explodes*

:twisted:
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

cancer
r00k

Post by r00k »

how is this any different than just typing
sv_freezenonclients 1 in console? or even the notarget(or whatever the command is)?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

r00k wrote:how is this any different than just typing
sv_freezenonclients 1 in console? or even the notarget(or whatever the command is)?
From the project page:
Ghosts I-IV for Quake wrote: This mod re-scores Quake using every track from the 2008 Nine Inch Nails ambient/instrumental album "Ghosts I-IV", and puts the game into a "tourism mode" where there are no enemies, weapons, and the player can't take damage.
So, basically, they slapped an alternative soundtrack (I won't discuss the merit here, IMO it's a matter of personnal taste) but in the process also removed monsters, probably breaking a bunch of maps since there are parts only accessible after killing the monsters. Yay.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
r00k

Post by r00k »

junk just someone trying to give tribute but forgot to light the torch , sad.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

ok, since frag.machine is a little sad for this mod,probably this would cheer him up! :) Or probably not, I dunno. Anyway, it's a super weird thing to see quake models (which are, by definition, the first very 3d characters models in history..at leat the first ones I ever seen) being flatten and put in a mixed Doom / Quake milkshake.
Here's the author of the remake soundtrack, real great artist! I love his room too! :lol:
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

toneddu2000 wrote:ok, since frag.machine is a little sad for this mod,probably this would cheer him up! :) Or probably not, I dunno. Anyway, it's a super weird thing to see quake models (which are, by definition, the first very 3d characters models in history..at leat the first ones I ever seen) being flatten and put in a mixed Doom / Quake milkshake.
Here's the author of the remake soundtrack, real great artist! I love his room too! :lol:
This is pure awesomeness, actually. I can imagine a mod gathering all baddies from Quake, Wolf3D, Doom, DN3D and even Half Life as sprites running in a modern Doom engine in a giant mess of blood and guts and explosions... it would be glorious. :') And also probably a gargantuan case of C&D with laywers from all companies involved attacking from all sides. :D