Forum

I'd like to return to Quake

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

Moderator: InsideQC Admins

I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Chip » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Hey guys! How are you! I've been away for a long time, had a baby, moved to another country and switched jobs. All in all, good decisions.

I'd like to return to Quake and do some modding, some mapping, some level design. I do have a wishlist, though, and some questions.

1. First, I am very web-based now with everything I do, and I have all my development IDEs cloud-based, all GitHub integrations web-based, site management consoles web-based, everything is web-based. So I'd like a web-based level editor. Is there such a thing yet? If not, what is the most up to date editor out there? I used to master Qoole :) - yes, I am that old - and QuArK, but I am open to other editors. Jackhammer? Trenchbroom? Anything portable to use inside Dropbox, for example?

2. Second, what's going on in the Quake world? Are people still interested in anything Quake-related? I used to be an old-school Darkplaces fan, and I used q3map2 because of ambient occlusion and shine and reflections, but again I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers!
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
User avatar
Chip
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:12 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby ceriux » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:56 pm

I really like trench room :)
User avatar
ceriux
 
Posts: 2223
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:30 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Julius » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:23 am

https://qexpo2016.com/

Should give you an idea what was happening recently.

Trenchbroom is great, but does not yet support quake3 .map format.

For advanced engines people seem to be starting to move from Darkplaces to more actively developed ones. FTEQW seems the main contender right know, but there seems to be also work ongoing to have QuakeC mods run on the Quake3 derived Deamon engine that is developed by the Unvanquished team... at least it seems Xonotic is planning to switch over.
Julius
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Nahuel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:45 am

glad to see you here again CHIP :)


q1bsp is VERY powerfull nowadays, with bsp2 you can get a lot of new features!!

EVEN DELUXEMAPPING WITH FTE!!!

http://ericwa.github.io/tyrutils-ericw/

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
User avatar
Nahuel
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: mar del plata

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby frag.machine » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:11 am

Julius wrote:https://qexpo2016.com/

Should give you an idea what was happening recently.

Trenchbroom is great, but does not yet support quake3 .map format.

For advanced engines people seem to be starting to move from Darkplaces to more actively developed ones. FTEQW seems the main contender right know, but there seems to be also work ongoing to have QuakeC mods run on the Quake3 derived Deamon engine that is developed by the Unvanquished team... at least it seems Xonotic is planning to switch over.


Whoa... that's sound interesting. Where can I learn more about this ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
User avatar
frag.machine
 
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:49 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Julius » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Talk to the Xonotic devs? They have been dropping hints here and there but there isn't anything precise yet.
But it was mentioned again in yesterday's 0.82 release announcement:
http://xonotic.org/posts/2017/xonotic-0-8-2-release/
Julius
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby frag.machine » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Julius wrote:Talk to the Xonotic devs? They have been dropping hints here and there but there isn't anything precise yet.
But it was mentioned again in yesterday's 0.82 release announcement:
http://xonotic.org/posts/2017/xonotic-0-8-2-release/


Hmm... I read the post but I must be overlooking something, because all I found about the subject was this post in the daemon engine site stating quite the opposite: they got rid of the original QVM in favour of pNaCl support - a not very wise move IMHO since Google dropped NaCl a few years ago and now is investing in the upcoming webasm standard. Also, checking the progress log in the daemon engine mentions Lua, but nothing about QuakeC. :?:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
User avatar
frag.machine
 
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:49 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Julius » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Its definitely being worked on. I think the daemon guys are working on a plugable architecture that also allows for a QuakeC interpretor, while the Xonotic devs are preparing their codebase to adhere more to coding standards to avoid annoying bugs.
Julius
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby frag.machine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:23 pm

I see. I'll keep on eye on this. Thanks for the tip!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
User avatar
frag.machine
 
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:49 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Julius » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:21 am

Julius
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Julius » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Seems like someone picked this up again and made some big improvements to the QuakeC interpretor in the Daemon engine... might even be portable to other C++ engines to run QuakeC code:
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=7465
Julius
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Nahuel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:01 am

I do not know q3 engine scripting system, but my question is
Is so hard to learn?
I mean, at least be an expert in qc (i am not an expert) is not hard, but takes time :P
Its cool to watch this, no doubt, i really want to test quake mods in dameon (this will be possible in the future? )
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
User avatar
Nahuel
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: mar del plata

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby Julius » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:19 pm

The main idea is to be able to run Xonotic QC game code on daemon so that they can stop using (the more or less unmaintained) Darkplaces but don't have to rewrite all the game code. Most likely this would allow also other quake1 mods to run, but Xonotic is using a sightly non-standard qc compiler (gmqcc) so that might be an issue.

Given that this new effort is far from complete and general interest in the port by the Xonotic developers seems not that big to begin with, it would probably require someone external to pick this up and push forward.

However in the end a FTEQW port of Xonotic might be easier to do...
Julius
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: I'd like to return to Quake

Postby frag.machine » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Julius wrote:The main idea is to be able to run Xonotic QC game code on daemon so that they can stop using (the more or less unmaintained) Darkplaces but don't have to rewrite all the game code. Most likely this would allow also other quake1 mods to run, but Xonotic is using a sightly non-standard qc compiler (gmqcc) so that might be an issue.

Given that this new effort is far from complete and general interest in the port by the Xonotic developers seems not that big to begin with, it would probably require someone external to pick this up and push forward.

However in the end a FTEQW port of Xonotic might be easier to do...


TBH I also don't see the point of splitting efforts in yet another engine.
It's sad that Darkplaces entered in stasis mode, but since FTEQW is well supported and is more than capable to provide the same features (and more) than DP, IMHO moving is the only logical thing to do.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
User avatar
frag.machine
 
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:49 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest