Quake "champions"

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
frag.machine

Re: Quake "champions"

Post by frag.machine »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Quakeguy trailer released. And he talks. Well, trash talk. Like Duke Nukem. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-TaJO_58ZE

Watched it. Looks like Q3A, and judging from the comment Quakeguy makes at the end, a sequel to it.

Doesn't really get me hyped though. Also, hes nowhere near as funny as Duke is. :/
Regardless of being funny or not (spoiler: it is not), Quakeguy is a silent character since, well, forever. It's a sin similar to having a talkative Freeman (Freeman's Mind does not count because he is THINKING, and also because is pure gold).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Another gameplay video showing 2 ( I guess ) professional players playing. Characters don't seem to talk too much
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

frag.machine wrote: Regardless of being funny or not (spoiler: it is not), Quakeguy is a silent character since, well, forever. It's a sin similar to having a talkative Freeman (Freeman's Mind does not count because he is THINKING, and also because is pure gold).

Except that Quakeguy has never really been all that silent of a character when you consider that he has proper pain and grunting noises. Also, theres the matter of Q3A's laugh / victoryscream (or whatever it was supposed to be) and his usage of the say command. Do texts count? ;) Quake isn't exactly "Battle of Wits" with lots of dialogue and chatting it up with monsters after all...

Freeman on the other hand didn't have any of that in HL1 at least...

I wouldn't worry all that much though, this game is unlikely to have much more than occasional smack talk upon killing / gibbing opponents. Singleplayer, if there is any at all will probably be limited to what it was in Q3A. Hopefully with a better ending than Xaero doing a couple of flips and turning into a statue. :(
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:I wouldn't worry all that much though, this game is unlikely to have much more than occasional smack talk upon killing / gibbing opponents. Singleplayer, if there is any at all will probably be limited to what it was in Q3A.
Right, agree. The bigger problem, imo, is that single player won't be as single as it should be. I mean, how in the hell is possible that quake lovers can't have a decent classic quake campaign as Original quake 1 (for me Quake is just the 1st one, the others are **** to me)? Plus imo gameplay in this Quake Arena Revamped is weak, Id lost the only thing they were original for: the "impression to hurt someone when hit". This idea, for what I've seen so far, it's completely missed, but, as I already said, probably it's just me. Anyway not more than 15 bucks for this if it's only multiplayer. Otherwise Reflex arena all the time!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@Shadowborg: well, HL2 had the falling grunt and sprint breathing, but I never considered those noises "speaking"... But otherwise I pretty much agree with you.

At this point I am convinced we will NEVER see a proper single player, lovecraftian themed remake of the franchise; it will either be this MOBA-oriented arena gameplay OR another "d-day... in spaaaace!" against Stroggs. And just like HL3 I kinda accepted I won't never see this dream to become reality.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

frag.machine wrote:And just like HL3 I kinda accepted I won't never see this dream to become reality.
HL3 stuff is more annoying imo, because Half life has a story (technically it'd be better to say that hl IS 95% story), story that didn't reach an end. It seems science fiction that a company KNOWS VERY WELL that consumers want something and for this something they'd pay LOTs of ringing money but company says: "No, I'm already rich, why should I be richer?"..it's kinda weird at least..imagine Coca-cola or Apple making this kind of thinking.. :lol:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

toneddu2000 wrote:(...) imagine Coca-cola or Apple making this kind of thinking.. :lol:
I can see Coca Cola not making any soda at all if they manage to create something equivalent to Steam to distribute beverage made by others directly to the consumer (like a "magical tap" in your icebox).
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

You mean by trasforming themselves from "producer" to "distributor"? Yeah, that could be possible, you could be right. Anyway, if I were Newell, I'd have left a small team of devs and artists (maybe 10 or so) to produce high quality, not-AAA (at least as AAA is intended nowadays by the industry) cult videogames, produced in a more "passionate" fashion respect the rest of the trash we see in the market now (COD15, FarCry 75,BF2100, etc), using Id motto: "When it's done".
Because, from my point of view at least, Valve games are Valve games (probably even more than how Id games are Id games)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

toneddu2000 wrote:You mean by trasforming themselves from "producer" to "distributor"? Yeah, that could be possible, you could be right. Anyway, if I were Newell, I'd have left a small team of devs and artists (maybe 10 or so) to produce high quality, not-AAA (at least as AAA is intended nowadays by the industry) cult videogames, produced in a more "passionate" fashion respect the rest of the trash we see in the market now (COD15, FarCry 75,BF2100, etc), using Id motto: "When it's done".
Because, from my point of view at least, Valve games are Valve games (probably even more than how Id games are Id games)
Yeah nowadays everyone (Microsoft included) wants to be the middle man that takes 30% by digitally delivering the goodies. And I agree, at this point Gabe could fund a small studio unrelated to Valve just to MAKE THAT GOD DAMNED GAME WITH 3 AT THE END OF THE NAME TO HAPPEN DAMMIT. Sorry.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

frag.machine wrote: Yeah nowadays everyone (Microsoft included) wants to be the middle man that takes 30% by digitally delivering the goodies. And I agree, at this point Gabe could fund a small studio unrelated to Valve just to MAKE THAT GOD DAMNED GAME WITH 3 AT THE END OF THE NAME TO HAPPEN DAMMIT. Sorry.
Edit: Read that piece. Dammit Microsoft, bad enough your nosy crapware (driven by your arrogant assumption that you own MY hardware and MY internet bandwidth that I paid for, for your forced crap updates and adverts) is driving me into the Linuxverse, but you actually had the balls to try and pull something as gross and insulting as this... :mad:

Okay, some might find what I'm about to say offensive but you two have sorta hammered on something that's been bugging me for a while now. EDIT: Modified to be fairer and less unreasonable scathing.

Gabe would probably like to make HL3, but Gabecutus of CorporateBorg[Valve] feels otherwise. (And CorporateBorg[Valve] always gets what it wants...or else. It is its nature to forget the human, in favor of self-interest, profit and the bottom line after all...)

It's a bit more complicated than just keeping a few people working on it, those people have to be paid and paid well. (likely for at least a year or two for development / testing) That means, programmers, artists, modellers, voice actors, etc. And then there's the marketing, licensing, etc. At the end of all that, we're talking large sums of time and money. (ESPECIALLY since it's the big HL3 we're talking about.)

One way forward might have been the "episode" release paradigm, save that that too takes time and money but produces less upfront content, which means less profit margin per sale. (to say nothing of the inevitable complaints when releasing all episodes in one package later on for cheaper than buying each episode was) Also CorporateBorg[Valve] could always pull the rug out from under the project, if the latest episode doesn't meet sales projections.

Gabe could try and finance the development via crowdsourcing I guess, though profit margins again may not meet projections, and also Gabe likely isn't the sole owner of the IP either.

From the view of CorporateBorg[Valve] it is much easier and more profitable to just play middleman publisher / delivery service instead, especially since they more or less have a monopoly in said service.

Well, that and Gabe is already a billionaire so he probably doesn't really care if its simply about making money. :/

I do find it somewhat abhorrent and disgusting the trend towards exploitation of the "children of the mind" has become in regards to the commercial game industry, however. Churning out crap games every 6-12 months (puppy mill) for teh profits and then abandoning the game / churning out replacement for said game...it just doesn't seem respectful to the IP and fans, though I certainly can understand the business model. (Model relies on "planned obsolescence" -> "Replacement" -> "Repeat Process" income stream...)

But that's just my opinion, maybe I'm just seeing things wrong.

/me sighs

And now I try to imagine what "Linux: Teh Game Universe" would look like... It's all open source, where the universe is terribly fragmented and based around star systems and or pocket universes, everybody can make their own weapons and monsters based on certain rules, but it all follows the basic "Kernel" / Story premise...But then the the inevitable parallel dimension conflicts of Android invasion, etc. To say nothing of the great calamity of the great galactic civil war of SystemD. Just think! First Person Shooting, Third Person Giant Robot / Tank fights, and Epic Space Battles with Missile Massacres and Huge Beams of Insane Proportions(tm)!

Meh, you guys ended up making me think up weird, silly stuff. :shock: :wink:

Anyway, sorry about the giant offtopic rant everybody.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

/me stares wide eye opened
Dude, I don't know what are you smoking but... Can I have it too ? :)

EDIT: OK, sorry, I was - well, I AM - a bit drunk when I wrote that. Bear with me. Seriously, now.

About Microsoft: yeah, I know them for a really long time (long enough to remember this and this and also this among several other examples) to NOT trust anything - ANYTHING! - coming from them. Make no mistake: they trully are the archetype of "evil corporation" that you saw in every flick Hollywood coughed up in the last decades. TL;DR = GabeN and Tim are right. period. Free Windows 10 ? Yeah... no, thanks. But I digress...

About HL3: IMHO Gabe is hostage of the "flat management" bullshit he created at Valve. Consider this: it's not a matter of lack of money (HA!) or authority (Valve stills a closed capital, sole owner company). It's really nice to be able to join a project - or even start one, from scratch - of your personnal choice, as long people are aware they HAVE to do what the boss wants FIRST (see Google's "20% of work time available for personnal projects" politics). And I think he's just unable to force people to do what he wants because it would be against what he preached in the past. The sad reality is: just paying people sometimes is not enough for them to do what you want. You need to make it clear you are the boss, and if people wants that fat check in the end of the month they better please you, and just do as you say. Yup, sounds nasty, but hey, omelet and breaking eggs - you know what I mean. So, in a nutshell: right now the only chance of HL3 to exist is if GabeN opens another studio, totally unrelated to Valve and their flat management pipe dream, hires a bunch of talented people, throw money at them and say "I command thee to bring Half Life 3 to life". Heck, he doesn't even need to create a studio from scratch - buy MachineGames! Give them the money and the IP and they would make a kick ass Half Life 3.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

frag.machine wrote:So, in a nutshell: right now the only chance of HL3 to exist is if GabeN opens another studio, totally unrelated to Valve and their flat management pipe dream, hires a bunch of talented people, throw money at them and say "I command thee to bring Half Life 3 to life". Heck, he doesn't even need to create a studio from scratch - buy MachineGames! Give them the money and the IP and they would make a kick ass Half Life 3.
Well, then Gabe needs to hurry up and get with it. It looks like a pretty good time to bring out HL3, and the fans are all waiting for Gordon... :wink:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Apart from every person point of view regarding Valve's business model (btw if you look at Valve company spreadsheet you see that Gabe is a little step among every other employee, so.. it's not completely flat)..imo the only disappointing move Valve did was not to make things clear in 2007, after Episode 2 release. They could have written a post on their projects page or new page simply saying:

"Due to business overhaul, Valve company has changed its core business. We're now focusing on releasing a more powerful, better platform to gather gamers and developers, blah, blah....(imagine millions of useless good words)... Game development became not our priority anymore and now, after Half Life episode 2, we decided to shut down game development sector. A talented small group of artists and programmers will remain to continue giving support to CS:GO and DOTA2 (CS::GO and DOTA has been released after 2007 (2012 and 2013) but you know what I mean) but NO new Half Life episode will be produced. We definetely think Half Life path comes to and end. Sorry to probably disappoint someone but's that's the way we see it. Good bye mr Freeman and Good luck"

Instead, they do this,
and this
And, honestly, this kind of ***king prankster acts by a billion company makes me piss off a little. Just a little.

If someone wants to punish Valve for this behaviour, probably best thing to do is to stop buying steam apps until Gabe clearly speaks about Freeman's future! ;)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Plus, I've never noticed they already talked about ep3!
revelator

Post by revelator »

Can't say i disagree with the comments about microsoft :( windows 10 could have been a killer if they adopted some of the linux philosophy like opensourcing non critical system components, instead they opted for big brother by taking your entire PC hostage. Granted you can get around some of the incessant spying but even at the lowest level it still sends heaps of data to MS and that's just telemetry. What is really appaling is that you basically have to give them the keys to your bank account and forfeit any work you consider copyrighted because the eula specifies that they can read anything you type if they so please :evil: i mean W...T...F.... :shock:

To me this all smells like NSA has had a rather large finger in regards to MS writing holes they can exploit, atm it seems atleast only XP and older OS'es are hit, but i would bet a million dollars against them if they think it wont affect newer versions of windows in the future, especially with the money involved.
Productivity is a state of mind.