FPS game. Need input.

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Error
InsideQC Staff

FPS game. Need input.

Post by Error »

I'm going to deliberately keep this vague, but what do you look for most in a multiplayer FPS game (arena style shooter)?
r00k

Re: FPS game. Need input.

Post by r00k »

team management / communications
valid physics; yet a rough-edge towards the absurd; not cartoon physics!

stats stats, and more stats.

the yourngerds prolly like character customizations but, as long as effort equals reward through skillful endeavors your game will succeed.
:mrgreen:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

fast pace, powerful weapons, superb netcode to avoid lagging(this is important) and nice graphics and fx(not necessarily photorealistic).
In one word: this.

If you're gonna use FTEQW, you could use my fteskel code as a base, I never released last version (which has solid client server relationship and fully skeletal animation support)because I saw that people weren't interested in my project but if you like I could upload it
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
mh

Post by mh »

Properly unlocked framerate, with network transmission properly decoupled from screen refresh updates.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Gameplay wise, more cooperative/PvE modes. I think there is more than enough options of deathmatch/competitive shooters out there.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I'm thinking Unreal Engine 4... so you know. And how many people would be butthurt if I didn't include bunnyhopping?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

theme wise i personally like fantasy mixed with guns. fantasy guns lol
Julius

Post by Julius »

You are probably asking the wrong crowd here, if its UE4. Either people are here because of real open-source (GPL) or because they computer is to old to run UE4 games :p

I think the most important thing would be asking yourself: "Is this sufficiently innovating a stagnant genre that it can attract new players without watering it down to an overly casual style?". I doubt you will be able to come up with a solution to that, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i'm here because i actually like late 90's - early 2000's graphics and quake was easy enough to learn how to mod for .
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Julius wrote:You are probably asking the wrong crowd here, if its UE4. Either people are here because of real open-source (GPL) or because they computer is to old to run UE4 games :p

I think the most important thing would be asking yourself: "Is this sufficiently innovating a stagnant genre that it can attract new players without watering it down to an overly casual style?". I doubt you will be able to come up with a solution to that, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.
I'm aware, but this has to do with games in general. This question would be the same for Quake engine games. Though I'm debating going back to Quake for this.
r00k

Post by r00k »

The UE4 engine would be easier to manage for tools and modern artists, etc i think.
Plus if you plan on starting small and migrating to a huge title Quake isnt gonna be on the hit parade for people to flock to help your project. ?
do you need to tweak the engine to finalize your goals? If not the UE4 would suffice.

side note: I was simply thinking of releasing a new version of my "arena-style" quake mod for the expo but now im seeing more and more 'arenaFPS' style mods coming out of the woodwork, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dks06yYvCZE ) albeit to create a kickstart from all the popularity.
But i have all the game code created; porting to fte/dp might help gain viability.
Baker

Post by Baker »

> "FPS game. Need input."

My unwanted suggestions:

I would stick with the standard methods: keyboard, mouse.

Maybe joystick and extra controller support if you want to be a hipster.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

I think the two key things for me are movement and skilled shots. Having a system such as (but not limited to) strafe jumping where you can outrun/dodge/catch up to other players and things like slow moving rockets that you really have to predict where players are going to be in order to land those awesome mid-air shots are what define the term "arena shooter" in my mind.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Cheats. Or lack thereof.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Innovation. Skill. Immersion.

Look, we've all played the hell out of UT and Quake, there is no point in making a clone of these games without some updates in both game play and visual appeal. That seems to be the pitfall I see looking at most arena FPS games. We already have these games, so do something that takes it to a new level in some way. Major studios aren't going to give you what you want because they are catering to today's generation of gamers who are quite frankly, lazy. They are catering to the "everyone gets a trophy" crowd. UT3 failed, and every single arena FPS since has had no traction whatsoever. Some have tried to be innovative, but all have "dumbed down" the experience. That's been nearly 10 years now...

Health regeneration, auto bunny hop, no strafe jumping, etc, is just plain stupid. I get the whole "but newbs get pwned" thing, but when you dumb down a game, people eventually get bored and the game dies. Skill is an important part of the addiction process. Newbs who are cut out for it wil stick around, and become loyal fans/players.

I detest the notion of full bright skins, textureless maps, minimalistic effects/approach. If I wanted that I'll play pong. I want my games to be beautiful, with great theme and atmosphere, and awesome weapon/player animations, and worlds that suck me in. I want effects that dazzle my eyes, and make me excited to fire a weapon just to see how it shoots. I want my weapons to be big, with lots of moving parts and cool animations/sounds, something that makes me feel like this thing is *significant*, and gritty. I want my levels to have varied themes - and varied pallettes. I don't mind seeing old ideas rehashed, especially levels. I actually love seeing classic levels and ideas redone in modern ways(I know that sounds contradictory to my first statement, but really it's not).

That all said...I'd love to see a medieval arena style FPS game :D
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine