Formatted wrong drive :S

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Formatted wrong drive :S

Post by revelator »

As the topic states i had a small accident when i went back to windows 7 from windows 10.
So i lost all my installed games and unfortunatly also my folder for testing Doom 3 and with it the new HD menu i been working my arse of fixing.
So if anyone has a copy of my latest doom3 upgrade package (revelation) i would be extremely happy if they could upload it somewhere.

Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Re: Formatted wrong drive :S

Post by revelator »

noone ? :( a slightly older version is also ok if it has the fixes for skill settings not working.
im also interrested in the hd menues for sikkmod included in my update.
qbism

Post by qbism »

I've got revelation.exe and revelationded.exe in my messy doom3 folder, but not original download file. I don't know if anything else is in there. Was the menu in a pk4?
revelator

Post by revelator »

aye it was actually in several seperate pk4's where some are pretty huge because of HD models and textures.
i think the paks in question were named pak008.pk4 and up from there.

the sikkmod modified pk4 files had the same name as the original but are a bit larger so if you have the directories sikkmod and sikkmodd3d i could recreate the standard hd pack from those.
qbism

Post by qbism »

I've got a 1.2Gb and a 0.6Gb pk4, but a week or so before ability to upload.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Sounds like the ones i need :) thanks m8.
The bigger one should contain the HD textures and models the smaller the menu if its from the base dir.

Atm the more crucial of the two is the smaller one as i can allways make a new HD pack but the fixes to the menu system would be rather sad to lose.

Drop me a note when you are able to upload them :).

And merry x-mas
Baker

Post by Baker »

Revelator, use DropBox or Google Drive or both or something.

If you put a lot of work into it, it's important enough to make sure it gets backed up.

I've never lost anything because I've read other people losing things, so I backup anything slightly important once and anything vital a few times.

What I don't completely understand, you've had this happen before.

If a week of work is worth 40 hours, why not take a few minutes of downtime when you aren't coding to back that stuff up and give yourself peace of mind!

And DropBox or Google Drive is one method and it's lazy. Set up an extra mirror on an old computer and then have multiple copies in addition to the "cloud copy".
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
revelator

Post by revelator »

Actually i had it backed up on an usb drive which i seldomly used and gave to a friend because i forgot i had some stuff backed up on that drive, i did contact him but unfortunatly he had
ripped out the drive as a replacement for his PC so it was formatted bummer :S.

I have dusted of an older PC which i now use as a HTPC / backup machine, its been years since i had any data loss, but sadly you can allways get hit by some kind of fluke even with the best precaution. In this case it was sheere oversight on my part.

Ill backup my work on dropbox also just to be sure.
Baker

Post by Baker »

I used to back up to a terrabyte drive. That pretty much stopped after using dropbox.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
revelator

Post by revelator »

Funny thing, the old machine i dusted off got boosted with SSD and 2 geforce 560 ti and runs bf4 on ultra with a core2 quad rofl :mrgreen:

Food for thought i would say if an old msi P7N diamond goes to town as a modern gamer PC allmost 10 years after i bought it just by upgrading a few components.
qbism

Post by qbism »

My machine is a 2009 Gateway 17" gaming laptop with core2 duo, 9800, and an SSD upgrade. Fast enough for almost anything in the Quake world. I upgrade the core2 to the fastest available for the motherboard for $15 :smile: I like the keyboards on those big honking laptops from Gateway and Dell.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

If it is "repod" feel welcome to add to https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/quake-code-archives no matter how big. I am not strict about Quake in that, there are some Q2 and Q3 repos in it already I believe as well as generic game dev tools. The more the merrier, space is virtually unlimited.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
qbism

Post by qbism »

Much appreciated, Spirit. Each year a few IDtech sites and original code references go 'poof' forever. Recently I could not find Blinky's Q2 tutorials or the Afterwards Q3 source files. As a civilization we are making little use of the distributed/redundant capabilities of electronic data.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Aye also google has turned into some horriible abomination that for the most part only shows sites with little to no meaning in regards to what you search for :S the old tricks to search for a specific term do not work anymore either, not that most other search engines do it better these days here in europe. I guess some new law
forced search engines to get lobotomized to be considered clean here in EU.

And thanks spirit :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

revelator wrote:Aye also google has turned into some horriible abomination that for the most part only shows sites with little to no meaning in regards to what you search for :S the old tricks to search for a specific term do not work anymore either, not that most other search engines do it better these days here in europe. I guess some new law
forced search engines to get lobotomized to be considered clean here in EU.

And thanks spirit :)
Google isn't what it used to be, that's for sure.

And on a side note: This insideqc.com site doesn't seem to be indexed at all! Makes searching for old topics here via search engine rather ... well, it's impossible actually. The PHPBB forum search blows.