Windows 10 and Quake

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Windows 10 and Quake

Post by ceriux »

hey so I updated to windows 10. one of the first things I did was test quake. I booted up steam and downloaded quake, so far the original quake (software quake?) and the original Quakeworld runs however GLquake does not.

ill be testing the obvious Darkplaces/FTE but if there are any other quake engines anyone would like me to test let me know!
ceriux

Re: Windows 10 and Quake

Post by ceriux »

tested 64bit version of Darkplaces seemed flawless. then I tested all 64bit versions of FTE, not so good.

fteminglqw64 seemed to work okay with graphical issues in the menu.

fteglqw64 graphical issues in menu and game, crashes.

fted3dqw64 graphical issues in menu seemed to work okay.

fteqw64 worked the best, graphical issues in menu.
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

thanks for the info ceriux, i will buy a little pc soon, i wanna know what about the quake tools with windows 8.1 and windows 10 (i mean; quark, fteqcc, q3map2 and differente compilers, etc...)
And a question: anyone did test mingw with windows 8 or windows 10 ?
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

about a little computer with windows 10 I heard raspberry pi (the new one) will run it.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Tested Msys2 MinGW MinGW64 all work if you remember to run the msys shell as admin :) or use conemu for that.

Havent tested quake yet but most other programs work fine except a few like unlockit which does not work anymore since its driver gets blocked.
I suspect there might be problems with atleast some opengl programs untill AMD or nvidia gets all the bugs ironed out of there preliminary win10 drivers (AMD's win10 drivers are actually beta even though they are not listed as such) i suspect nvidias drivers also have a few things to iron out.

btw if you want to use the new edge browser dont turn of uac as it wont run without it on.
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Post by revelator »

a bit further testing and a few troubles with mingw64.
Seems win10 broke some gui apps like tcl/tk atleast the git gui is not working just flashes very quickly, insight seems to work though hmm strange ???.
qtcreator 64 bit version works 32 bit version broke erf :( rest of the QT tools seem to still work so i suspect some broken code in qtcreator.
blender works.
gimp works but is very very slow to start.

building works just fine from the msys shell, and seems to work well from codeblocks also.
revelator

Post by revelator »

:)
r00k

Post by r00k »

i just upgraded mymobo/cpu/gfxcard, 2 weeks before windows 10 release; though i had been running the preview beforehand.

I havent had any problems thus far, yet all my MSVC installs just complain. I guess ill dedicate an older machine to just quake coding :)