QUAKE MOD SHOWCASE

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Cobalt

QUAKE MOD SHOWCASE

Post by Cobalt »

Was not sure where to post this but I sent Scarecrow a PM just now.

Maybe this could be a new topic / forum area where lets say you picked up an old abandoned Quake mod like Killer Quake pak and continued where the orig author left off. This could be the place where you go to look for answers directly for the latest
news or post mod specific questions on something like Frikbnot that DRS and Lightning Hunter seem to be picking up on in Friks absence...or on the Quake 1 Arena mod Electro originally made that I am now picking up and working on.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Re: QUAKE MOD SHOWCASE

Post by scar3crow »

Don't take this post as a decision, as right now we're kind of acting in a tribunal form.

I like the subject matter at hand, but I don't feel a new sub forum is necessarily the best solution. In my opinion we have an excess of them right now for the number of active users. There is also a bit of granularity for such a small forum. If some of the others were consolidated, this could get its own - and I'd like to see it taken further by having threads for as many mods as possible with short summaries and download links.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Well there is a "what are you working on" thread thats got to be several years old now and likely is the longest running ongoing thread I have ever seen on my travels on the web !

Not that thats a dig, but its one hella thread to skim through now and find out what, if anything going on in it would be something that would interest me with what Im doing now or if any of it could help me.

This idea just narrows things down a bit to Quake C specific mods, but I suppose you could have Total conversions area and WIP (work in progress). Quakeone.com does have a WIP area which I have used w some success , but personal wars seem to have scattered alot of users away from there and the really serious coders seem here mostly.

Also nice job on the new look to the site. At some poijnt the "inside3d" name was sort of broad and opened up areas for other games to be subjects I suppose, but being Q was the first real 3d FPS, I am glad to see people here still honoring these original concepts and promoting Quake C as I guess the biggest interest here.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I agree that browsing thru years of messages can be a PITA, and maybe it's past time to convert that thread into a board area.
We could even define a pattern for its topics like in the Independent Game Development area ([engine][project name][status]).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

"What Are You Working On" is an active thread concerning current activity, it is to share any sort of action, research, fiddling, or what not. It allows people to show that they are engaging in productive activity that need not be a major product. You don't skim through it, you read it every other day or so. I find "What Are You Working On" to be my favorite part of the forum, because it is so open ended. I would oppose branching it off into its own section, General Discussion is a great home for it, and it provides a functional introduction to any new members, as they can very quickly see what people are currently up to.

I will be looking into the Quake Mod Showcase, I'm not shooting down the idea, I just don't want a ton of subforums. Things are already a bit too granular.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I agree heavily with scarecrow. We have a qc area. We have a csqc area.
We have an engine area, and a modeling area. throw your works there, thats what theyre there for.

More importantly, I also agree that what are you working on is not supposed to be easy to skim.
Its the daily mail. You post your minor progress there, and its very communal and social.
When you have a release, you post your own thread for the project in one of the subforums, or when you're gearing up for a release if you so desire. I read the entire backlog on that page, its old news. Most of it is not relevant to anything anymore, and if it is, the subject has its own thread. If you really want to read the entire thread, bookmark it and take it a chunk at a time like I did. You'll be finished within the week, with zero reason to skim through it again.

If you DO need to find something, ask in the forums, or irc, or better yet, use the SEARCH button.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Glad that thread works for some people. Me, I prefer reading about a mod in one location, then its easier for me to check up on that mod because it has its own specific locaiton.

Also this could be useful if an interest generates again in an abandoned mod and someone else or another group want to collaborate together and revive or update it for a newer engine etc.

Model or engine or code specific issues could be bought out into the corresponding existing locations, or if a board programmer wants to get fancy here they could maybe associate other topic areas related by maybe a "tag" type system.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

dont we have a standalone section? whats wrong with a mod subforum?
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I would be cool with retasking the "Independent Game Development" section to include this, however I suggest that people use a tag like [mod] to differentiate between the standalones and mods.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

sounds good just make a sticky about it in there !
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

IDG has been renamed with a new summary.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I'm kew wit dat.