AtomicGamer is shutting down July 2015

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: AtomicGamer is shutting down July 2015

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Looks good, feels good. :-D

And yes, that was lightning fast.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

are you guys going to get all the tutorials transferred over? i know i wouldnt know anything about qc if it werent for them.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

It's all being worked on. The goal is to not lose anything.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

There's this http://www.insideqc.com/qctut/, but those are all the ones pre-database and site redesign.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Can someone please tell what the hell is going on? What happened to inside3d forums? Why there was a link to this new site? And, has it something to do with AtomicGamer shutting down stuff?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

It's 100% to do with AG shutting down. As the notice was sudden, and the fate of the domains was unclear, FrikaC nabbed InsideQC (the original name of the site) and migrated the forums to avoid data loss. With a new domain, owned by the admin, we can hopefully fix some things up and restore a lot of lost functionality. I personally like this change.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

AtomicGamer is stutting down for reasons undisclosed so far. AtomicGamer was the host and domain provider for Inside3D forever. Due to this happening, the I3D staff has taken it upon ourselves to secure a new alternative. We aren't 100% sure if we can obtain the origin domain, but a good bit of us have wanted to break away from AG for a while and change the name to be more Quake-centric. The hopes are that we don't lose anything, but you never know when hosts go down. We hope for continued support for and from this awesome community that most of us have grown up with.

FrikaC has been kind and done all the work so far. We all owe him our gratitude. Thanks Frik! <3

I'd recommend everyone replaces their bookmarks with this new site as the other will most likely go down in July.

Thanks.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks scar3crow, now it's more clear! If insideqc staff needs some help I'm here! :-D The only issue I noticed is that smile emoticon is not : + D anymore! :lol:
Great work guys, so fast! Now it could be the right time to re-structure quakec tutorials sections, maybe with a documentation-like style
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I made a front page post explaining things: http://www.insideqc.com/?p=17
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

The emoticons got a little messed up. For some reason several emoticons had paths in them when stored in the database. When the database was transferred to the newest version of phpbb, the paths didn't match and they broke. Tbh, I think they all look kind of ugly and I'm in favor of just redoing the whole lot of them.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I'm for it. I recall the awesome home brew emote icons from Cliffs of Insanity. Those were good times. Need Quake inspired ones.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I just want to congratulate all of you guys (FrikaC, Error, Spirit), thanks to your efforts and fast response the site continuity not only is secured but the transition was really smooth. :)
Yeah, I agree it's a good moment to shake things up a little... Some custom icons would be a nice touch.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I really hope you will get the domain. Keeping URLs alive is important.

The AG guys were nice and gave me access to their file archive which I am currently in process of mirroring and archiving to https://archive.org

It's not as huge as Fileplanet but still about 9 Terabytes. I hope that I can get it all. To speed up things I rented a server, if it takes too long, I might need to invest more. I might ask for some donations (nothing big, <100€) but let's hope for the best. If someone has Terabytes of space with >100MBit/s lying around for temporary storage, please shout. Right now I have 8TB available, but only paid for a week for now.

Your masochistic Spirit

PS: quaddicted.com, quakewiki.org and quakeexpo.com are currently down as a maintenance reboot went into some networking trouble. Nothing to worry about but I am sorry...
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
revelator

Post by revelator »

Got plenty of speed on my line 100+ mb as for space im a bit more pressed atleast on my local PC but i could hold about 1 TB if need be, since i got a few spare drives laying around from back when i worked for the government.
Productivity is a state of mind.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

do you guys think you could make the forums a tad wider? its a bit too thin for me.