FrikBot 0.10.2 (FBXb) Released.

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
FrikaC
Site Admin

FrikBot 0.10.2 (FBXb) Released.

Post by FrikaC »

A new version of the FrikBot has been released. This is a bugfix update that removes serious problems discovered throughout the bot's last 3 years in the public eye. I can't believe I'm updating it after all this time. The new version can be downloaded from the FBX homepage at http://www.inside3d.com/frikbot/fbx/ .
Megazoid

Hmmm

Post by Megazoid »

:shock:

I guess it needed doing.

(QT news updated)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Just out of curiosity, what's been fixed?
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

*gasp*

*choke* Wha... wha....

/me passes out from surprise and lack of oxygen...

It... It's true! AWESOME! Thank you, FrikaC! Downloading right now!
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I'm going to give this a very thorough trial over the Thanksgiving Break, and I'll report back my findings.

From what I've seen, Frikbot uses FRIK_FILE, if available. However, you should mention in your instructions that any mods that are using dpextensions.qc will need to comment out frikbot's redefinition of strcat.

Cheers, and thank you for releasing this!
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Tei

Post by Tei »

/me downloading.....
Last edited by Tei on Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Thyme »

Wazat wrote: From what I've seen, Frikbot uses FRIK_FILE, if available. However, you should mention in your instructions that any mods that are using dpextensions.qc will need to comment out frikbot's redefinition of strcat.
I'm using DarkPlaces. Can you please be more specific on what needs to be done? The bots work ok, but map cycling with maps.cfg locks me up.

Thanks!-
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I am SO sorry it took me so long to do this. I've been bogged with homework and Conquest, and haven't had the time. And I kept forgetting... Oye! I appologize, FrikaC. I know how it hurts to release something important and not get any real feedback on it.

I played a normal vanilla Quake DM game against one frikbot at skill 1 and won 15 to 5. My therapist and I are still working on helping me to cope with what happened on skill 3, but he assures me that, given time, the shaking should stop. :) Basically, the frikbot won 15 to 3.

My greatest aggravation was that once he got a rocket launcher, I'd die every time I turned a corner. A human would notice a flash of movement or something and have to let the message from his brain order his hand to move and fire, but a frikbot has fired before that message even gets sent. It gets quite maddening.
That's why in Jeht & Ace of Nails I toned down the skill levels, giving bots worse aim and lower response delays with lower skills. Skill 3 was un-touched, though.

Anyway, I played on DM5 and the bot didn't seem to get stuck in the water AT ALL, which is awesome. He did occasionally get stuck on the door frame between the switch and the door that opens to the rocket launcher & megahealth, trying to run through the wall toward the switch. He also discharged in the water a number of times, but I'm thinking that was a calculated move... ;)
He also got stuck a couple times coming out of the teleporter toward the Super Nailgun and yellow armor: he ended up in the corner on the right side of the door frame, as if trying to run straight toward the super nailgun or armor, oblivious to the wall in the way.

Playing in Skill 1 was enjoyable, but I won quite easily. Skill 2 seemed about right, and I'm going to need some practice before I can start winning again in skill 3. I can win in my own mods against FBXa in skill 3, but in normal quake my pride just got hurt real bad. :)

I'd like to test FBXb further, both in normal quake and a mod or two, probably in Jeht. I'll let ya know!
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I've just tested it against skill 2 frikbots in Jeht, on maps dm6, dm2, dm3 and dm1. I forgot how fun Jeht was to play against bots. ;)

So far as I can tell, the bots are better fighters and they get stuck waiting much less often. I forgot to mention ealier, sometimes bots will start bunny-hopping all over, neurotically, and it seems like they can jump a whole lot highter than they should be. I noticed this in normal quake and in Jeht.

Frikbot continues to be a lot of fun, and they seem to be a lot better at avoiding the lava (dm2 & dm4), and navigating water. I applied the same changes to FBXb in Jeht as I had for FBXa, namingly a little aim offset and lower response time at lower skill levels, so frikbots couldn't respond unfairly-fast (except in skill 3, which remains untouched by that code). I found this to be more fun for me back when I was coding Jeht, and for people who try my mods, who always complained that the skill 0 bots were kicking their butts.

The waypointing of DM1-6 is tight. The only discrepancy I noticed was that frikbots will still wait patiently forever on DM1 for the bridge to be extended by someone else so they can reach the yellow armor, when they should just move on. Beyond that, they play really, really well! Almost too well... Skill 2 bots kicked my trash in my own mod on DM6. My ego and I are so glad I got them back later. ;)

Thanks for releasing this, FrikaC!
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Thanks for the feedback. Needless to say, this is how FBX was meant to have been released, but last minute changes caused last minute bugs - some of which I only recently noticed.