Retron 5

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Retron 5

Post by ceriux »

so... just curious... does anyone think it would be possible to get quake to run on the Retron 5 console? there's a port of doom which you can play but its just the snes version of doom.

however the console is android based and has also been rooted.

http://hyperkin.com/Retron5/

im having trouble finding actual hardware specs atm... but if i find anything ill post it?
mankrip

Re: Retron 5

Post by mankrip »

If it's been rooted, people should be able to get the regular Android ports of Quake running on it already.

Given the machine's target audience, the GPU may be weak, and there may be not much RAM. But I guess FTEQW may run.

The hardest part may be the controller support. Or maybe not.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

doesnt quake engines already have controller support already built into them?

found this so far...

Dual core 1.6 Gigahertz processor
Spike

Post by Spike »

fte's android input code is currently limited to api level 8 or so, which ensures it runs on more (read: old) devices. this limits it to touchscreens and/or keyboards.
for true controller/joystick support, someone would need to boost that to 12 (android 3.1).

dp also has an android port, but I don't know any details, nor do I have an actual android device to test either engine with.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Spike wrote:dp also has an android port, but I don't know any details, nor do I have an actual android device to test either engine with.
The DP port runs rather well as FTE on my cheap android phone with very modest specs:

Processor Cortex A9
Processor Speed 1 GHz
Processor Cores 2
GPU Adreno 203
RAM 522 MB

Acording to Hyperkin they are trying to keep the Retron 5 hardware specs secret as to thwart other companies from cloning their efforts.:roll: I've heard there is 1.2gb of internal storage.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

it does have internal storage , im not sure how much but it also allows you to use a sd card for saves , ips patches, and screenshots. i'm afraid to modify my retrons firmware/os and root it. i cant seem to get anyone active on the retrons community forums, at least not anyone active who's interested in any thread iv posted.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Darkplaces is very robust, but it's way too heavy for Android devices.

The Android port of Steel-Storm suffered from this. Slow performance, slowdowns during battles, missing effects and crackling audio all the time.

The Android port of FTEQW is less mature, but it performs way better. Improving it is a much better bet.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube