Tenebrae lite

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Tenebrae lite

Post by revelator »

Some work i done on the old tenebrae engine :)
Still needs a lot of love but works mostly.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Problems that need solving;

Shadows are mostly ok but sometimes clip with certain objects like hidden doors (yeah it actually causes you to notice them, just have a look at the wall in the last screenshot).
Model push back so that the model does not clip with walls when near them is broken (original tenebrae also had this bug).
Engine most likely needs a major overhaul in some places the code is old as sin itself minus the parts done by me ofc :P .
I broke the cubemap reflections in haze when i modernized some of the code :S i newer figured out what broke it.

The engine has some potential though and is a good learning piece so if anyone wants to take over the source for it ill upload it somewhere.
Productivity is a state of mind.
krigs

Re: Tenebrae lite

Post by krigs »

Needs radiosity normal-mapping and of course good bump maps.
revelator

Re: Tenebrae lite

Post by revelator »

Got the bump maps but the textures are from a pretty old texturepack compatible with tenebrae :)
Code could do with an overhaul atm it supports gloss bump normal and luma maps.

The texture loader code had a rather hefty overhaul so its not bad but not super either,
the luma texture loader is completely seperated from the main textureloader,
and its generally a mess but its better than what was there originally.

One thing that could be nice would be sprite32 support for some more realistic sprite effects (underwater bubbles etc)
atm they look really crap but atleast they are the only ones still used so room for improvement.

Also a lot of the old backends should be removed, most cards nowadays should support ARB2 extentions,
so really no need for all the specialized stuff anymore unless you target people with retro computers.

And then implementing matrix functions, the engine also uses a lot of old OpenGL crap so its slow even on modern cards,
converting everything to vertex arrays or vertex buffer objects might take some work because of the way the engine is put together, but it would probably be worth it.

the Edo parser was completely rewritten by me but may still need work.
Productivity is a state of mind.