Tarbaby Quake

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
SusanMDK

Tarbaby Quake

Post by SusanMDK »

You are the Tarbaby, Spawn, Elastic Blue Blob with intent on taking over Shub-Niggurath's empire. The other Tarbabies have agreed to help you on your quest.

The Tarbaby's abilities are Jumping/Bouncing from any surface, leeching health from enemies when bumping into them (mmm.. zombies), firing purple rockets and proximity mines, and self heal/explosion/teleportation combo. Most items are there just for decoration, but it's possible to pick up keys, powerups and runes. Also the Tarbaby is immune to slime, lava and can stay underwater indefinitely.

Player can also develop the Tarbaby stronger after gaining some Character Points from damaging or killing enemies.

===============
Controls: Most of the new actions can be changed from the customize controls menu.

Fire Rockets = Next/Change Weapon.
Fire Proximity Mines = Previous Weapon.
Jump Move = Jump.
Heal/bomb/teleport combo = Attack/Fire.
Character development done with numbers from 1 to 5 (can't be changed from the menu). 5 activates the "Character development menu".

Forward/Back/Strafe/Run keys don't do much, but can be used to stop movement a little and some other fine control. Note: FTE allows regular movement for player with these keys.. that is not how it should be. Are there any settings in FTE to have "buggy" MOVETYPE_BOUNCE on player? Or is it some air control? (player isn't exactly on ground)

===============
HUD:
ammo_shells = Speed
ammo_nails = Defence
ammo_rockets = Attack
ammo_cells = Energy
ibar weapon items = Current level progression (LG flashes when near level up)
armorvalue = Rocket Ammo
currentammo = Proximity Mine Ammo

Other things are same as before.

===============
Download Tarbaby Quake 20150227

Tarbaby Quake ModDB page

Gameplay Video

Image Image

Image Image
zbang!
Spike

Re: Tarbaby Quake

Post by Spike »

In FTE, use sv_nqplayerphysics 1 for compat with nq mods that do odd things with player physics (will disable prediction, hence why its not default).
qbism

Post by qbism »

Great concept. An indigenous creature with cool movement abilities who has had enough of the system.

Multi-jump action is fun for hopping out of pits and up to ledges. First impression was to also want finer control at landing or maybe faster arrow key movement (crawling). It was difficult to stay on catwalks or jump into narrow passages.

The character development is easy to grasp and feels rewarding, like the simpler days of D&D.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Thanks, sv_nqplayerphysics 1 works. Then noticed another thing.. the ibar weapon icons aren't flashing when they appear, which kind of makes the leveling/level up progress less noticeable.

I played entire Quake through with this last night. I was able to level up to 36 and half (just before the shub-telefragging). Maybe I use my monster spawning code to spawn more monsters into the levels, based on player's character level. Then player could level up some more.

I also thought I change the Quad and Pentagram. Quad could be like Quad Speed, and Pentagram would be Pentagram of Destruction (unlimited ammo). Maybe I change the Ring too, maybe it would be the Invulnerability. Biosuit was already changed.. it allows player to walk, could remove the automatic forward+bob up/down while in the Biosuit.

Or maybe I just have player in walk movetype normally, and only use the bounce movetype while jumping?
zbang!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I just made a fool of myself thinking that being teleported after exploding was a bug 8)
Nice mod, it's quite fun but also pretty stressful.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Update...
Yea, that teleport was a bit weird.. now it's a different key/action, and only teleports back to start. Otherwise some levels would allow player to teleport right in front of the level exit. That's a bit too much skipping.

Now it's probably not necessary to use sv_nqplayerphysics 1 in FTE anymore. EF_BRIGHTFIELD effect is missing from FTE. I use it on powerups and when Sidekicks are spawned by the Monster Masters and Player.

===============
Some Changes
* Player is now MOVETYPE_WALK when not doing a turbo jump
.. no auto forward/bounce up/down
.. movement is a bit slowish, unless doing the turbo jump
* Powerups were changed
.. Super Speed
.. Pentagram of Destruction
.. Ring of Invulnerability
* Runes give some magic power
.. each give different stuff
* Rocket/Prox controls were flipped with Heal/Jump
* Monster Masters (spawn sidekick monsters)
* Sidekicks (you can also spawn sidekicks)
* All spinning items can be picked up
.. boost your stats
.. give health/ammo
* Monsters can drop items (randomly)
* Shub-Niggurath is active!
.. can't telefrag it anymore
.. the telefragport takes you back to the start of the level instead
* Can play completed episodes again
* Can play game again after completing it
* Don't lose character stats after completing episode or game

===============
Download Tarbaby Quake 20150303 - ModDB (if unavailable, try the link below)
Download Tarbaby Quake 20150303 - Mediafire

Gameplay Video - The Ebon Fortress

Image Image

Image Image

===============
You are the bouncing baby
Blue and nasty
More than seventy
Bouncing baby
Feel the speed from the trampoline
You can bounce
You can bump