Open Watcom 2.0 Beta

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Open Watcom 2.0 Beta

Post by revelator »

Been helping out a bit on Open Watcom Development and v2.0 is quite good now, it does have a few drawbacks but there being worked on.

For people working with Dos or Win9x support this compiler is allmost a must as its one of a few actively developed environments still supporting those architectures (djgpp being the other).
C++ support is still a bit flaky but its getting better by the day, however Open Watcoms STL does not yet support lazy instantiation so you need to have default constructible code atm.
WxWidgets 2.9 and greater does not build with Open Watcom because of this, 2.8 is fully supported though. The STL code is being worked on though so expect to see improvements over time.

Open Watcom now also sports a 64 bit to 32 bit crosscompiler so if youre on a 64 bit platform its encouraged to use the 64 bit version of the tools.
You can not make 64 bit code with it yet though (api only supports 32 bit or lower targets atm).

The C compiler is fully working though, and qbism has a version of his engine that works with Open Watcom.

Im MainTaining a version built with the intel compiler hosted on my Sourceforg site, it should be a little faster due to better optimization than the msvc built version.
I try to keep it up to date with current trunk, so it should be quite recent.

You can find those builds here https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadva ... s%20build/
Productivity is a state of mind.
qbism

Re: Open Watcom 2.0 Beta

Post by qbism »

Thanks, I plan to check this out. I'm currently using an OW2 build from April 2014 http://sourceforge.net/projects/openwat ... ent-build/

Is there a way to change the directory for executable output, and use that same directory for debugging? Preferably from the IDE. I can manually change it in the generated makefile include (mk1) but that gets overwritten and debug still can't find it. Something like this- sourcecode in c:/quake_src/ and output exe in c:/quake/.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Should absolutly be possible but i may not be the best help on how.
Try asking pchapin or jiri malak on the github site :)
pchapin is the current maintainer of the open watcom source and knows pretty much all that is to know about its capabilities :).
qbism

Post by qbism »

It turned out to be easy to configure for C:B IDE, and there's a tutorial for setting up the debugger
http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Con ... de::Blocks

So, mingw and OW from a single IDE. :)

Biggest challenge was setting up the compiler switches.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Aye watcom has a ton of switches :) nice find though.