Lets get ? bloody

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Lets get ? bloody

Post by revelator »

http://www.moddb.com/games/bloodcm

Just tried it and its probably the total conversion closest to the original :)

so rather enjoyable if you like blood, not lets cook with gas :P
Productivity is a state of mind.
Julius

Re: Lets get ? bloody

Post by Julius »

IMHO Transfusion is cooler: http://www.transfusion-game.com/
Edit: Darkplaces based but sadly lacking active development since a few years.
Last edited by Julius on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Supercool man, Blood was one of my favourite games back in the 90s. Imagine it has been an huge amount of work to rebuild it under eDuke32!
Good stuff man, congrats!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Doesn't this have all kinds of legal issues?
Julius

Post by Julius »

Transfusion got official permission to use it non-commercially and without mentioning the name "Blood". Other projects seem to have since assumed it's fair game to use in the same fashion, but strickly speaking only the Transfusion project can use the assets legally (IANAL).
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

wow, didn't know that existed this kind of permission
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Julius

Post by Julius »

Well... would be awesome if someone skilled with Darkplaces programming would pick up Transfusion's development again :)

Multiplayer is pretty functional, and it was (and is) always a blast to play with friends on a LAN. I recently tried running it with a newer Darkplaces build and it still more or less works. But obvioulsy some CSQC love and other modern features found in Xonotic these days would make it much cooler. Per-pixel lit pixel art can look surprisingly cool ;)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

the 'abandonware' eternal september chain is to thank for the unauthorized blood ports treating the game as public domain under the guise that it can't be bought and needs a "#1 blood master", assuming no one has known about the game prior to being added to some warez sites in the mid 00's. ever. There's always an ambitious quest to 'port blood to engine x' that isn't Transfusion thinking they'll gain a sudden savior status for porting it to something unfaithful and providing the game's copyrighted contents for free at that. Zblood even makes an excuse about this in a quit message, paraphrasing "you can buy it oh wait you can't!!!! it's abandonware!"

(though in reality it was buyable all along, and is more legally available than ever before, however there's always whine about it being available for $5 because it's running with DOSBox... give me a fucking break)

and with the behavior on postmortem in the aftermath of it all, I wouldn't want to associate myself with that fandom anymore. It's a scary overlap with pretentious Brutal Doom fans that discovered the game Blood because it has... blood. and probably believe the true soundtrack to Blood is metal similar to the 'superior beta setup music' or something. No one has the true passion for Blood anymore.

and SPOILER: this community has been aware of Transfusion since the beginning. Telling the community to work on it just to add 'modern features from Xonotic' is also missing the point. (also, I wonder where I have heard this before?) Perhaps the lack of enthusiasm with the points I just addressed has to do with the stagnancy, especially since coincidentially Transfusion's development slump started when HOTU (once a major popular warez site) added Blood and Blood 2.

It's easier said than done. Maybe you should quit being the 'idea guy' and actually try developing a 'pointless' project yourself, you might get a sense of burden on how the demand of telling a community to make something takes. I'm not doing it because i've already got a pointless project targeting a pointless computer (< OpenGL2 hardware)and not using a pointless switch to FTEQW and OGRE pointlessly losing the compatibliity support it aims for pointlessly not looking like the original game. It makes perfect sense to abandon this and work on Transfusion, since it deals with existing content and creative work, it's not pointless. Wow this is sounding very very familiar indeed
Last edited by leileilol on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hmm not sure it uses any copyrighted material atleast the dev making it claims he wrote it all from scratch, cant be certain though.
I would have loved blood to be complete on the transfusion engine, but development has taken ages not that its the authors fault, atleast i got that from reading the forum posts on the transfusion site.
The dev from BloodCM does not ask any money for it but if push comes to shove he could ask monolith for permission to use the assets (if he uses any from the original) and change the name to something not including blood in the title.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Julius

Post by Julius »

leileilol wrote: and SPOILER: this community has been aware of Transfusion since the beginning. Telling the community to work on it just to add 'modern features from Xonotic' is also missing the point. (also, I wonder where I have heard this before?) Perhaps the lack of enthusiasm with the points I just addressed has to do with the stagnancy, especially since coincidentially Transfusion's development slump started when HOTU (once a major popular warez site) added Blood and Blood 2.

It's easier said than done. Maybe you should quit being the 'idea guy' and actually try developing a 'pointless' project yourself, you might get a sense of burden on how the demand of telling a community to make something takes. I'm not doing it because i've already got a pointless project targeting a pointless computer (< OpenGL2 hardware)and not using a pointless switch to FTEQW and OGRE pointlessly losing the compatibliity support it aims for pointlessly not looking like the original game. It makes perfect sense to abandon this and work on Transfusion, since it deals with existing content and creative work, it's not pointless. Wow this is sounding very very familiar indeed
Yes I like you too :mrgreen: