General Discussion! *salutes*

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

General Discussion! *salutes*

Post by scar3crow »

Here, it's a throwaway thread within the catch-all subforum. I wanted to share a random thing, but didn't think it justified its own thread, and realized we don't quite have a subject dump. Theoretically this should stay gaming related in some way.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Re: General Discussion! *salutes*

Post by scar3crow »

Browsing RockPaperShotgun, because, pain. And I spotted this bit in an article:
During the heyday of Half-Life modding, there seemed to be a new, experimental multiplayer game to play every week.
I'm sure there were a lot of experimental mods for HL, but mostly what I recall were remakes of Quake and Quake2 mods, and the standard Slight Changes to the Basegame for Silliness mods. Then I remember that a lot of people got into gaming with Half-Life or Halo, and thus attribute a lot of things to those games.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

scar3crow wrote:Browsing RockPaperShotgun, because, pain. And I spotted this bit in an article:
During the heyday of Half-Life modding, there seemed to be a new, experimental multiplayer game to play every week.
I'm sure there were a lot of experimental mods for HL, but mostly what I recall were remakes of Quake and Quake2 mods, and the standard Slight Changes to the Basegame for Silliness mods. Then I remember that a lot of people got into gaming with Half-Life or Halo, and thus attribute a lot of things to those games.
Damn kids! I played CTF on E1M1 on modem!
Yeah, it sucks to be an oldfart. :)

In totally unrelated news, I just came out of an maxillofacial surgery to finish an extensive dental treatment I've been doing for 2 years. I was looking like Popeye after some serious beat up, but now recovering well. :P
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Somehow, I don't think there's going to be a throwable human head sentry gun that shoots lasers for UT4.
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Old ?!? i started browsing the internet on win 3.1 with the mosaic browser :P and spent my social hours on mirc networks hehe that was times :)
Oldest game hmm anyone remember the pingpong game you could code up in basic for the amstrad zx80 ? :mrgreen:

Duked it out on my 386 and got quake on my first 486 also played a lot of hexen on lan with buddys (not the lan of today old style coaxial type forgot the name) no mouse either before my first pentium.
Still play hexen from time to time :) also heretic 1 and 2.
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Post by revelator »

got one of these babies :)

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... .492883150

No need for an emulator ;)

By todays standard it stinks but back then this was probably the fastest machine any of us could afford (only barely even) mines got 2 gig rambus ram and dual voodoo2's hehe.
Productivity is a state of mind.
Spiney

Post by Spiney »

Antialiased Nearest Neighbour Filtering. Would be cool if a Quake/Doom/Retro-ish engine could do this...
http://csantosbh.wordpress.com/2014/02/ ... fications/
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

s3 virge emulation :P
i should not be here
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Some of the tech used in this game seems really interesting. Specially the sprite-based 3D shadows and the integrated Sprite Lamp normal map editor.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

>Dreamcast
>(We are crazy enough to attempt resurrecting the Sega Dreamcast, after all!)

might as well make a DOS version too if someone's obsessed with beating a software pixel buffer for some technological glory thing. PVR CLX2 has already seen its suffering limits.

Now the real question is, is it going to be a game people would want to play? A lot of the hype I read is purely about its technologies and the platforms it'll be on, and also the term "nextgen", as if Hexplore and Nox never existed.
i should not be here
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

leileilol wrote:>Dreamcast
>(We are crazy enough to attempt resurrecting the Sega Dreamcast, after all!)

might as well make a DOS version too if someone's obsessed with beating a software pixel buffer for some technological glory thing.
It seems to be not just a matter of technological challenge, but also of history:
Elysian Shadows: Das große Interview wrote:I (Falco) began developing for the Dreamcast at age 14 as soon as I found out there was a homebrew community of crazy people out there who discovered how to develop their own software for the platform... This was before mobile app stores, indie markets, OUYAs... Back then console development was something reserved exclusively for big companies, and here was this awesome console with all these cool accessories, all this horsepower, and so many good games that I could now personally develop for... It was literally a dream come true for me, and I taught myself to code in C and C++ just for that console... To this day I continue to support it as part of realizing my childhood dream of releasing a game for my favorite console.
leileilol wrote:Now the real question is, is it going to be a game people would want to play?
The gameplay description doesn't go into much detail, but the mechanics described in the campaign sounds like a mix of TLOZ ALTTP with The Lost Vikings, which sounds fun to me.
leileilol wrote:A lot of the hype I read is purely about its technologies and the platforms it'll be on, and also the term "nextgen", as if Hexplore and Nox never existed.
The lighting system in Elysian Shadows is more advanced than in both, thanks to the normal maps created with Sprite Lamp. Also, Nox has nice shadows, but they aren't pixel-perfect like the ones in Elysian Shadows. It's like lightmaps versus stencil shadows, and at least in this aspect, Elysian Shadows is raising the bar.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
qbism

Post by qbism »

Think about dynamic lights and normal maps in software Quake.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

qbism wrote:Think about dynamic lights and normal maps in software Quake.
That would require replacement textures everywhere. I can't see shoehorning normalmaps in Quake's standard textures looking good, so the way to go would be using replacement textures created from scratch. And in that case, why not use any of the dozen hardware-accelerated engines that are already able to do that?

The main point of the software renderer is to keep the visual identity of the game intact, by improving only on the features that didn't let the original visual content of the game look as good as it could have been.

It could be useful for making new games from scratch, but in that case, I don't see any reasonable reason to keep using the software renderer either.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
qbism

Post by qbism »

Low-res normal maps with standard Quake textures in 8-bit is the more interesting question aesthetically. What would it look like? It might be easier to shoot for a gloss-like map used to scale dynamic light intensity, close enough for 8-bit walls.

So far, hardware simulation isn't quite the same, as far as generating banding and interesting artifacts.