MHDoom finished

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Re: MHDoom finished

Post by revelator »

Hmm fixed the offset shadows but there still not right :S unfortunatly for me its a no fix since it happens with every vanilla doom even the original.

im getting triangle shaped shadow bleeds all over the place and it also happens in prey so it seems its a driver bug (using 14.4 atm) which also breaks Rage "chekerboard textures all over and no setting can kill them"

strangely enough wolfenstein the new order runs great Oo and it uses the same engine... but maybe the devs snuck in a fix :S would be nice if they also put it in Rage.

RBDoom3BFG runs fine also though im using shadowmaps.

Atleast its playable on radeons without hacking the living crap out of catalyst AI but it kinda breaks the feeling.
Productivity is a state of mind.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

this shadow bug is really weird. It would be best if someone could try it with an Nvidia card. Did you try (I read on Doom3BFG GitHub page that is possible) to run it on Linux with Wine? Maybe it's an Ati bug only for Windows
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
revelator

Post by revelator »

Dont have access to a nvidia card but if someone has im interrested in the results :)

A rather peculiar update, it seems with sikkmod that its the HDR shaders that break shadows if i turn HDR off they look fine argh.

vanilla without mods works if i use humus fix by changing vanillas shaders from using the cubemap to math based instead.

so it seems its shader related on ATI.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Thought i was going crazy and that i broke something again but heres a shot with dhewm3 and its the same problem.

not even sure if its related to shadows at all it looks like a texture bug because it does not interact at all with lightsources.

its annoying as hell to say the least cause every damn texture tile seems to have this dark plotch down the middle.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Oh crud something i havent thought of turned out to be my problem with Rage atleast.
I got rainmeter installed for a custom desktop and it interferes with some games... should have thought about that (facepalm with rocketlauncher) :oops:

So im using game booster to turn it off before i start the game and now rage works like a charm, strange though that it does not affect wolfenstein the new order albeit using the same engine WTF.
Does not however fix the weird black traingles in Doom3 damn @%(/#(?
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

yeah, I always hated those desktop widgets. That's why since Windows 95 on my desktop there's practically nothing (at that time maybe the word widget was not even invented!)! :D
For the shadow on the texture: does it go away if you change camera pitch? I mean, if you look around, is it still there?
revelator

Post by revelator »

yep totally static :/ if i light those areas with the flashlight they are still dark also, so no interaction. I tied debugging it with the shadow debug tool built in and according to that its not a shadow at all.
Thats why my guess is that its a texture problem. I suspected my updated image loaders at first but dhewm3 also does it and i havent touched the code in it.

So last ditch would be trying an unmodified vanilla Doom3 and if its fixed there then it must be one of the patches from dhewm3 that breaks it, since i use the same code minus SDL and the dll changes.
revelator

Post by revelator »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvan ... z/download

test executable + game dll's if someone could try them out and tell me how they work on both radeons and nvidias :) also take notice if they have the same weird behaviour on your pc's.

compare them to a vanilla executable also if possible.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Ok tested 5 different engines and the original doom3.exe and they all have this bug :( its also getting worse it seems, my cards are not overheating though so i can rule that out.
Hmm i guess i wont be able to make this any better than it is currently.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Ok this is weird :shock: reinstalled windows + drivers etc. at first run my Doom3 runs great at next run it starts showing those weird triangles again, compiled a vanilla Doom3 and it runs perfectlty fine now.

dhewm3 shows the same as my own engine though not as bad, and i tried a version with glsl interactions based on vanilla and it ran fine to.
So i started moving it over to glew recompiled it and guess what it does it again :shock: something tells me that glew has a bug :(
weirdly enough the glew based version runs great on nvidia cards (borrowed my neighbors PC for a test) but breaks on AMD cards.
Since the first run was fine i suspect a leak somewhere in the glew code.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Fixed it it seems, moved my code from MHDoom over to a fresh codebase for testing http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvan ... z/download

ARB_map_bufferrange seems to have trouble on AMD cards with latest drivers, so i created a fallback that uses the old MapBuffer instead.
MapBuffer is not as fast as MH's but still plenty good compared to the old code.

Glew also has a few things that needs sorting for one i cannot use Barnes code for getting info about graphic card memory without having to resort to using the old calls from glext.h.

This is a test build and it includes all the editors, has a GLSL backend for interactions + shadow volumes but uses ARB2 path as standard,
else you might think i gone nuts in case you try sikkmod with the GLSL backend on things would look mighty funny ;) if you want to try it use r_renderer glsl followed by a vid_restart.

You do not need my special game dll's for this one it works fine with vanillas.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Fixed MH's version for AMD newer drivers, seems you need to flush the buffer as soon as it has uploaded or it will overflow rather unceremoniously.
Updated curl to latest version and now the game browser works again (thought all servers where dead seems im wrong hehe).
Moved things to a fresh codebase so my current version has all the bells and whistles (editors included) it also plays vanilla game dll's again ;)
Made Curl link statically again.
Made glew a static lib to check if theres any difference in regards to barnes VBO mem code seems its still broken though oh well :/.
Fixed precompiled headers.
Used parallelization on the heavy render calls, runs upto 8 threads now if your cpu can handle it.
Fps wise you wont see much if you are allready capable of running Doom3 at 60 fps, its locked at that refresh rate and changing it causes things to behave really nasty.
You can go a bit higher with vsync off though.

P.s big freaking huge warning if you got comodo internet security it breaks Doom3 and not only that game ;)
my lga2011 corei7 with 16 gig 1600 mhz ram stalled when it was running causing windows to think that the driver had crashed and bluescreening my ass off ouch.

TODO:
Move over to a cmake or premake system.
GLEW also works on linux mac and other systems and many of those allready come with devpackages ready to compile against (no need for SDL only OpenGL and X or whatever screen server you are running).
Removing EAX and move to EFX instead (OpenAL soft).
Updating ZLib for pk4.
Get someone to help porting the internal editors to WxWidgets (i HOPE).
revelator

Post by revelator »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvan ... z/download

So heres something to toy a bit with :)

updated game dll's with many fixes for Doom3 - Classic Doom - SikkMod - Ressurection of evil.

Engine had a rather hefty cleanup, what many might not have checked is that a rather large chunk of Quake 3 code still resides in Doom3 and much of it was newer used,
still some has posted bugfixes for those functions hehe. I removed the lot minus a few functions that may come in handy some day for someone planning a total conversion (mostly image functions).

MH's VBO code has been changed rather much, it still serves its intended purpose but i made a fallback in case MapBufferRange fails i still Map the buffer using the older MapBuffer.

I included Classic Doom - In_Hell - and sikkmod for Doom3 SikkMod for D3XP will come later as im updating it to use his 1.02 codebase.

There are wrapper executables to each mod included so no need to make special shortcuts.

Hope you will enjoy it.
revelator

Post by revelator »

I hope someone likes this ;)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

thanks for sharing this revelator, great stuff!
I detect some bloom on shiny metallic surface on player, am I right?
what many might not have checked is that a rather large chunk of Quake 3 code still resides in Doom3 and much of it was newer used
:shock: I heard somewhere about that, but I never tought it could be useless! Great work man!
I removed the lot minus a few functions that may come in handy some day for someone planning a total conversion (mostly image functions).
:cry:
MH's VBO code has been changed rather much, it still serves its intended purpose but i made a fallback in case MapBufferRange fails i still Map the buffer using the older MapBuffer.
Cool!