MHDoom finished

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Re: MHDoom finished

Post by revelator »

HDR light + bloom + color grading :) if you dont overdo it sikkmod looks great. That shot was from ressurection of evil with some of the 1.02 codebase.

Useless is probably an exaggeraiton but the code was either dead or broken so no need to keep it in.

Example a rather hefty chunk of code was for the Quake3 script debugger but it was excluded from the build because it lacked some functions that where newer ported to C++ from Q3 (mostly msg functions).
then theres the FPU state checking which only works on windows due to missing ports to other OS (most of it was also disabled).
Or a rather hefty chunk of code for removing degenerated vertexes / indexes (defunct).
And many more like the dmap compiler still having its standalone code for drawing besides using Doom3's render for that now :lol:.

MH's VBO code works rather well on nvidia and according to him it also worked on ATI at the time, but newer driver releases broke it,
so it took me quite a while to hunt down that on ATI atleast you need to flush the mapbuffer before sending the data on its way,
or it will owerflow causing some rather nasty looking black areas / flickering shadows and a whole bunch of other problems.
So it works on ATI now i just hope i didnt break it for Nvidia along the way :).
Productivity is a state of mind.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Great work dude. Any chance you put the source on GitHub?
PS: Revelation is a great name for an engine! :)
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
revelator

Post by revelator »

Uploading it now to my sourceforge site :)

Included are the game dll sources for Sikkmod - Grimm and Classic Doom fixed to work with revelation.

Hexen edge of chaos seems to have some problems they need to fix in there game dll sources
(its a patch and im not sure if its version applies to 1.3.1 since the GAMEAPI is 6 not 8 ) so its not included as it crashes revelation.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvan ... p/download

I have also included vcproject files for msvc2010 and msvc 2012 so those who dont have one of the newer versions can still work on this.
Small note the pragmas for msvc's vector compiler do not work on msvc2010 so you get warnings where they are, you need atleast msvc 2012 to use the parallel optimizations.

Revelation just followed my nick ;) im a big fan of depeche mode hehe.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Btw if someone looks to upgrade there old gfx card this is the one i use ( well actually i use 2 :P )

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon- ... iew_125979

besides amd sometimes making a mess with there drivers its a great card that runs pretty much anything at max res.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Something came up so i better post the fix here.

The code i use for defering interactions was capped at 1000 interactions which is fine for Doom3 but as i noticed its far from enough for some mods.

so change the define to this in tr_light.cpp

// default was 1000 which is fine for Doom3 but thats far from enough for some mods like grimms quest.
#define MAX_INTER 4096

thats it :) now grimms quest for the gatherers key will run like it should.

Next update will allready have it.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Stumpled upon an interaction shader for parallax mapping that does not have the sliding texture bug that sikkmods has :shock: its not as detailed as his pom shader but it works on every surface :)

Only downside is that its rather hefty on the gfx card, sikkpins seem to be better optimized though i wonder why this one does not have the texture sliding bug :?: hmm.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Removed a ton of dead and unused code from Revelation, mostly editor stuff.
Fixed a whoopsie from ID which i wonder why noone else has noticed ? the declmanager used a mix of enums + defines DECLTYPE vs DECL which ment they newer got used cause they where marked as enum number 126 and 127 but the DECL enum only went to 32 :shock: so essentially they newer worked ergh.
r00k

Post by r00k »

Just picked up D00M_3 at the half-priced book store for $5.99!
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hehe have fun ;)

Scrapped the internal editor to many things missing or not done, brought the engine size down a fair bit in the process :)
Only crappy thing is that unless i want to use stubs to the missing functions unmodified Doom3 game dll's will crash the game erf :evil:
Well the mods i can get the game dll sources for i can make new game dll's that work with Revelation atm i got classic doom - grimm - sikkmod the InHell mod uses the game dll from Doom3.
Atleast many users are starting to add the code for there game dll's so i can fix a lot of mods if needed but i still occasionally run into mods that dont :(

Source is pretty clean now so if someone wants to pick it up as the engine of choice let me know.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Well the shadow bug is indeed an ATI driver bug cause im also getting it in dead space 1 2 and 3 and there not even opengl engines :( its also affecting a few other games.
Strangely its not affecting Doom3BFG atleast not the version from trebb (hmm i wonder if the shadowmaps he uses have anything to do with it ???) stencil shadows atleast seem to break with the later drivers.
Kinda hate having to go back to the old driver but i might have to :S
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I'm triyng to buy Doom 3 and Doom3 BFG on Steam but apparently it doesn't like my pre-paid credit card. As soon as possible I'll buy them (they're both in sale till 30 june btw) and I swear I'll debug your engine with my ATI card
revelator

Post by revelator »

Will be nice to have some help :) its a rather large source compared to quake and finding those pitfalls is a fulltime job.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

eh, I know, it's quite huge! I think it's 4 times quake 1 engine's length
revelator

Post by revelator »

Removed the internal editors and stumbled upon a few nasties.

ReadFromDemoGame and WriteFromDemoGame are just stubs they dont do a thing and seem to have been part of an older gui editor id was using, Check WRITE_GUIS define.
Removing them breaks the engine though as they are virtual functions they inherit functionality from other ReadFromDemoGame etc. Removing them still compiles but you will get a rather weird error about pure virtual function calls. if you step the debugger you end up with a heap error and it exits gracefully so dont touch for the moment.
The old editor code cannot even be reenabled as its incomplete :( .
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hehe more i know atleast one of the source files have allmost the entire lenght of all of quake source code :shock: 5000+ lines.