Q2 ref_soft replacement with colored light

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Re: Q2 ref_soft replacement with colored light

Post by leileilol »

Just to make things clear to Qbism

i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

The code I showed is indeed from d_polyse.c. Must have been a brain fart. Also I see Spiney is referring to world lighting. The colored light noise I was talking about would be a similar lookup in DrawSurfaceBlock functions. This light dithering option not implemented in engoo, but it is in super8. Engoo doesn't really need it. In super8 extreme blocking occurs due to 8-bit colored light and simple ordered dither is not enough. Needs very sloppy noise to smear it around.

I noticed that in the previous update I uploaded, the palette can get messed-up the pcx screenshot files. It needs to use 'thepalette' (global palette) rather than generating one. That will be fixed in next build.

Re: Ground Zero, wonder if that's an openGL effect only?
dwere

Post by dwere »

Well, it works fine in software mode with r_coloredlights 0.
qbism

Post by qbism »

dwere wrote:Well, it works fine in software mode with r_coloredlights 0.
Are you using Knightmare's 3.24 exe and the game dlls? There's a separate download on kmq2 site for rogue and xatrix.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

The problem's more in the fact BuildLightmapRGB doesn't have negative lights in there IIRC, being a direct port from Engoo code.
i should not be here
dwere

Post by dwere »

The 3.24 archive I downloaded has all the files, including dlls for mission packs.
qbism

Post by qbism »

leileilol wrote:The problem's more in the fact BuildLightmapRGB doesn't have negative lights in there IIRC, being a direct port from Engoo code.
That's the ticket, actually up in R_AddDynamicLightsRGB. I tested this with EF_TRACKER (negative dynamic light effect) but not GZ. But doesn't always work yet, sometimes the light gets brighter. I updated the download files anyway.
dwere

Post by dwere »

It works in GZ with r_coloredlights 2, but the effect is inverted with r_coloredlights 1.
qbism

Post by qbism »

dwere wrote:It works in GZ with r_coloredlights 2, but the effect is inverted with r_coloredlights 1.
When toggled, r_coloredlights is always in 'overbright' mode now (the mode that works). Colored lighting looks better in that mode anyway.

Also attempted to speed up a few loops by pulling out variables that can be static. Download is updated.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Yeah but it doens't always look better when in the palette, which is why I put in the option to shift so it can be at the level with the crappy way Q2 GL treats lighting, id software unknowingly divided the Q2 player community from that :P
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

'In the palette' referring to lack of high-value colors available? Q2 palette is quite dim. Fortunately even with overbright on, colored lighting is seldom strong enough to get washed-out. Normal mono lighting is still shifted into Too Dark! as normal.
qbism

Post by qbism »

While looking for bright/intense/not-orange lighting to try out, found this map:
Maric's 'The Blue Devoid'
Last edited by qbism on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

qbism wrote:'I Normal mono lighting is still shifted into Too Dark! as normal.
Normal mono lighting isn't supposed to be "too dark" - it's meant to have overbrights.

still against the removal of a preference cvar for the miniscule staticizing performance gain btw. I originally started off the colored lighting Q2 driver with colored overbright (which turned out ugly w/ Q2's palette) and decided to add shift options to allow visual consistency with the GL driver as well as a gamma hack for the lookup table for matching the 3dfx MiniGL driver appearance, both options that seem to get along with the palette better.
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

What can't be achieved with gamma and the new color saturation cvar? These give more control and work with negative lighting.