fte bug / problem

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

fte bug / problem

Post by ceriux »

so, im having a problem with fte its a bit difficult for me to explain, so i just took a screenshot. some help?

basically i try to load it up and this is how it loads.

i can hear everything from the menu, but it doesnt seem to completely switch over.

oh and darkplaces runs with out the error.

frag.machine

Re: fte bug / problem

Post by frag.machine »

Maybe unrelated to the problem, but any reason to be stucked to XP ?
When did you last update your video drivers ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
qbism

Post by qbism »

If fte is built with the latest gcc (otherwise I'm totally off-base): newer versions have quietly dropped XP support :(
This seems strange because XP has more desktop share than Linux, but maybe it was becoming a pain.
I reverted back to gcc 4.7.3.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

its not that im stuck to it. but i have an old laptop that i put it on. so i could use some of my older tools and not have problems. max 9 doesnt exactly get along with 7 or 8. plus a couple other tools. so i have my 8 machine and this xp one, that id like to hopefully dedicate to modding quake on ( and emulators of course ) .

also all of my drivers are the latest. this is a fresh install with latest updates/drivers installed.

qbism - if thats so i should be able to try an older version of fte? but what would be the best version to revert back to? and how would i obtain it?

i'm normally a darkplaces guy... but id really like to get into using fte.

-----

okay i found a fix... i started fte with the command -window. then i changed it back to full screen with direct3d mode... however... why is opengl working fine while in windowed mode? opengl looks much nicer and isnt all bright...
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

qbism wrote:If fte is built with the latest gcc (otherwise I'm totally off-base): newer versions have quietly dropped XP support :(
This seems strange because XP has more desktop share than Linux, but maybe it was becoming a pain.
I reverted back to gcc 4.7.3.
Well, AFAIK XP stills relevant mostly in China. If this is where your target public is then makes sense to support it, otherwise time to move on.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
qbism

Post by qbism »

Continuing to mess with 'Quake 1' is not about moving on... :lol:
But there are some who are into retro machines, or on a perfectly functional old XP box with little benefit to upgrade. Might as well support them if it takes almost zero effort?

Try the FTE build from the website to see if it is a gcc issue? Or actually could even be a dependent library that has dropped XP.

Personally I've been using Linux Minty on a couple old Dell Pentium boxes and it's working well. 3.4Ghz pentium does fine on software Quake.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i am using the build from the website ( latest stable ) =/ fte seems to be the only engine with this problem too =/
Spike

Post by Spike »

the latest stable build is really old, and probably not worth using.
try http://triptohell.info/moodles/win32/fteglqw.exe instead
(or http://triptohell.info/moodles/win32/fted3dqw.exe if you want explicitly d3d only)

the binaries on triptohell are cross-compiled from gcc on debian. Because its debian, you KNOW that its not the latest gcc. :P

I don't know why you'd get a black screen in fullscreen mode and not windowed mode.
one possibility is hardware gamma ramps getting messed up somehow (certain drivers break things, or block gamma changes for windowed programs). make sure you have gamma 1; contrast 1; brightness 0. current svn builds use glsl instead of hardware gamma while windowed, and hardware gamma ramps when running fullscreen.
if you still have problems, you can try adding '+set gl_blacklist_debug_glsl 1' to your commandline. This can work around drivers that can't handle glsl as used by fte (fte requires that the preprocessor supports macros properly/fully), and can fix issues where the actual game is black. It shouldn't normally affect the console/menus though, as I think those avoid glsl unless they have to.
try '+gl_clear 1 +map start' on the commandline. if the screen is red then you know that the gl context is running and rendering, but the draw commands are bad (like miscompiled glsl). if its black then its some system incompatibility thing... which would make no sense.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

spike +set gl_blacklist_debug_glsl 1 fixed the problem thank you for that and the more recent build of fte =)
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Honestly, I don't understand why everybody is dropping XP support. Seems like forced obsolescence to me. What do Windows 7 or 8 get you over XP? For me, there was almost no improvement, and some things (ex: sound driver support) are much worse.
Spike

Post by Spike »

jitspoe wrote:What do Windows 7 or 8 get you over XP?
compatibility with recent versions of msvc. its a bit hard to support something when you have to use different tools in order to do so.
hurrah for mingw... so long as they don't do something stupid.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

jitspoe wrote:Honestly, I don't understand why everybody is dropping XP support. Seems like forced obsolescence to me.
A fresh install of XP has so many updates to download, that it makes sense to install an already more up-to-date OS.

Also, a XP with all updates, drivers and runtime libraries can get slower and heavier than Windows 7.

The only thing I really miss from XP is the classic Start menu, and being able to use exactly the same view configuration for all kinds of folders in Windows Explorer.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

mankrip wrote:A fresh install of XP has so many updates to download, that it makes sense to install an already more up-to-date OS.
No problem.
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Mostly better security, and way better support for modern cpu's + hardware.
A good security solution might keep you safe for the most part but the OS is 13 years old now :S many still like it im one of them because it still to some degree supports 16 bit code but id advise against using it for anything online in the future.

And aye most newer compilers have dropped XP support but msvc 2012 with SP2 can actually still build XP compliant code :) (can set it in the project properties).
Productivity is a state of mind.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hello Spike,

I didnt want to create a new thread, so first of all sorry for misusing this one.
I discovered some issues while testing a mod in several engines when I used yours.
They are not serious of course, but I wanted to at least let you know, so that you can look into it if you have time.

- weapon bobbing stuttering hard (skipped) on stairs / slopes
(try beginning of start or e1m1 maps)
- when entering console, first character I type is always ^
(that makes it necessary to always type any character, then press backspace and start typing again)
- config is not saved when exiting game via menu. Only via "save all settings" ?
- fov 108 is default ?

- This one is only seldom reproducable (didnt find the real preconditions yet):
when binding a key via console, example:
bind r restart
then pushing r will crash to windows

Thank you for your great engine Spike and always having an open ear to the users !

PS: I am using Win XP and your fteglqw build from 13-04-2014