fte bug / problem

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Spiney

Re: fte bug / problem

Post by Spiney »

Erh... not to start an argument, but XP is 12 years old. That's like 2 centuries in computerizelated time. If they shouldn't drop it now, then when?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i have no problem with them updating their OS, but they need to support ALL older software. otherwise they need to find a way to continue have updates for these older OS's. its annoying buying a game and not being able to play it, because ultra 1337 new OS cant even run it....
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Spiney wrote:Erh... not to start an argument, but XP is 12 years old. That's like 2 centuries in computerizelated time. If they shouldn't drop it now, then when?
Riiight. So you're saying that you should base your OS choice on how long ago it was released, not on whether or not it actually works well?

Seems kinda silly to me to upgrade to something that does something stupid (like totally change the interface from what your users are used to, or attempts rather badly to mimic Android, an OS pretty much designed for use with mobile touchscreens, not desk / laptops =P)

Personally if I was Microsoft, I'd just keep the classic XP interface and update the core / engine to extend support for new equipment while providing legacy support for refurbs and older software, etc.

(if its not broke, don't fix it. And if you REALLY need to mess around with it, at least TRY asking the people who are ACTUALLY gonna use it what they would like to have before screwing something up)

Then again, Microsoft is in the business of selling OSes. (Mandatorily forcing obsolescence, and thus selling more OS IS their business)

Full disclosure: I still use Win 2k and WinXP.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Is dropping XP support for the sake of it supposed to be a hip thing now? "haha its 13 years old haha loser"

I still support Win9x in Engoo and I had to resist the suggestions to drop assembly and VC6 for 2012... and I still want to support Win9X in OA, especially since I'm trying to make that more compatible with older hardware that does not have drivers for XP (i.e. PowerVR PCX2 - Despite Carmack's .plan, it can be done)

I do not think it's realistic to drop support for an operating system that's younger than the game by many years. Sometimes there's even a side of linux promotion to it, which I don't agree with since distros have even shorter life cycles, and suffer a worse magnitude of obsolete dependency hell.

Because if a game just needs ddraw.dll and opengl32.dll...... why make it worse?

Also I wonder if the scare-mongering will repeat like it did for Win9x after XP came out, the whole 'compromised-in-seconds-connecting-to-the-internet' thing that never happened to me.
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Well XP is still there in some way in win 7 but its a virtual machine addon (XP mode) :) i use it mostly for older compilers like msvc 6 and dos games. Sadly 3D accceleration is a nogo with XP mode
so gaming in XP mode is a bit meh :P .

Btw XP was released 25. oktober 2001 so allmost 13 years :) but lets not split hairs about that.
And i agree that support for older games would be nice, sadly i doubt microsoft will invest the time supporting that.

Win 8 is in my eyes a disaster allthough i like its speed i hate being forced into metro whenever i try to open something, i could live with it if microsoft let me have the option of selecting what
interface i want when installing that would probably save it for them also.
Besides that im actually impressed with how well it runs on older machines :).

Besides that i fully support having multiple OS like XP / 98 / Win 7 just keep in mind that the older ones might have flaws so be sure to have adequate protection if you insist on using them online.
Biggest problem with say 98 is that no modern security solution will run on it :S so its rather exposed.
Productivity is a state of mind.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Ironically, wine is a pretty good windows XP emulator by now :mrgreen:

Another argument to have a Linux install somewhere.
r00k

Post by r00k »

I agree with GB, recently i installed Debian 7.x on my old Sony VAIO, (has xp media center dual boot option).
In comparison to Micro$oft, the Linux community offers 99% more support for older machines, I'm perfectly happy with that.

I have no idea how this relates to FTE, other than with SteamOS and new home-brewed steamboxes crawling out of the woodwork, having a stable linux port would seem important.

Also, using MSVC v12, I can target specifically for XP machines, with an option for the Platform Toolset.
"Platform Toolset
Allows the project to target a different version of the Visual C++ libraries and compiler. Visual C++ projects can target either the default toolset in Visual Studio 2012 (v100) or the toolset that creates executables that can run on Windowx XP
"
revelator

Post by revelator »

Indeed linux might be a good option :) ubuntu is pretty easy to get around in in case your not to familiar with linux, and wine runs pretty well with it.
Productivity is a state of mind.