quake games on android

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

quake games on android

Post by ceriux »

So we all know quake runs on android and I just had prydon gate working on my phone.so I was curious if it could be a good idea to use quake to make and sell games on the play store?
qbism

Re: quake games on android

Post by qbism »

qi4a (darkplaces port) runs well on droidx. FTE also but doesn't have the adjustable interface. Quake monsters are a good speed for touchscreen, doable on easy skill.
Spike

Post by Spike »

tbh it depends on your definition of 'mere amalgamation' (or whatever that phrase was) as to whether you can sell it without needing to let *others* sell it and not give you any of the proceeds.

I've had a few reports that fte manages to vsync nicely at 60fps, so performance isn't a real concern (any better performance will just preserve battery power (instead of improving gameplay), and the recent craze of phone batteries only lasting an hour shows how much people actually care about that).

First-person shooters are supposedly generally quite poo / annoying with touch screens. I don't actually have a phone/tablet on which to test FTE properly, so I expect its interface could do with improvement (certainly its menus can be comically small).
If you want to make a game that isn't an fps, you'd likely want to use csqc and provide entirely your own user interface. csqc should let you do just that.
Last edited by Spike on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Does anyone know a (working) link to qi4a source? I downloaded the apk but no source. I'm quite curious
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

the source would be nice, but spike the controls for ftedroid are horrible. you cant aim with out expending all of your ammo, its setup for a lefty. you should look into an android emulator something and see if you can check out the darkplaces port to see how hes setup the controls (and how you can customize them). but i do agree csqc would be awesome for this as well. i think the only problem with this is that like with prydon you still have to click the fire button to make actions happen. so we'd need an extension for the touch interface in csqc i think, or maybe you could make every pointer movement a "fire" which might kind of suck. either way if it would be ethical or what ever to sell games using the quake engine i was thinking about making a top down type game similar to how the legend of zelda was on gameboy.
qbism

Post by qbism »

toneddu2000 wrote:Does anyone know a (working) link to qi4a source? I downloaded the apk but no source. I'm quite curious
Source is contained in the APK. I installed qi4a and ES file explorer from the play store. ES can backup an app into sdcard, then open the apk to see contents.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

csqc on fte already supports multitouch.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

qbism wrote:Source is contained in the APK. I installed qi4a and ES file explorer from the play store. ES can backup an app into sdcard, then open the apk to see contents.
Thanks qbism. Found it.
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Also I didn't read back up and remember someone say shooters were bad on the phone?

I actually play this one. It's okay

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XxLL8sdkyE4

And default quake isn't too bad I kind of am liking the movement on that better than the example I posted above.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

How would I disable ftedroids default controls so I could make my own with csqc ?
Spike

Post by Spike »

if your CSQC_InputEvent function returns true, the engine will not do anything further with the input.

a touch event will appear as:
IE_MOUSEABS+IE_KEYDOWN(mouse1)+IE_MOUSEABS+...IE_MOUSEABS+IE_KEYUP(mouse1)

vector fingers[8];
float(float evtype, float scanx, float chary, float devid) CSQC_InputEvent =
{
if (evtype == IE_MOUSEABS)
{
fingers[devid&7][0] = scanx;
fingers[devid&7][1] = chary;
}
else if (evtype == IE_MOUSEDELTA)
{
print("Oh noes! everyone panic! Its a mouse! Quick! Kill it!\n");
}
else if (evtype == IE_KEYDOWN && scanx == K_MOUSE1)
{
print(sprintf("finger %f was pressed at %f %f\n", devid, fingers[devid&7][0], fingers[devid&7][1]));
}
else if (evtype == IE_KEYUP && scanx == K_MOUSE1)
{
print(sprintf("finger %f was released at %f %f\n", devid, fingers[devid&7][0], fingers[devid&7][1]));
}
else return FALSE; //don't handle the event if we don't know what it is. note that this includes non-mouse1 keys, so binds for the volumeup/volumedown keys on various phones will still function as a standard key bind.
return TRUE; //stop the engine from doing any binds or whatever.
};

touch events are implemented using the same api as mice (really it should use K_TOUCH instead of K_MOUSE1 or something). all touch events use absolute coords.
you can track each finger separately by using the 'devid' value. from the down event to the up event, a single finger moving across the touchscreen will retain the same devid value. It will be recycled on the up event.

If you return false, the engine will carry out its default behaviour. you may still receive movement and release events while the menu or console is visible, but press events will be swallowed by whatever has priority focus over the game. Be careful with blocking keys as killing apps can be a pain on android - you might want to do your prototyping using '_windowed_mouse 0;vid_fullscreen 0' on a desktop instead, where shift+escape cannot be blocked and will always get at the console if you break your menu somehow.
on windows, you can additionally use 'in_simulatemultitouch 1; in_rawinput 1; in_restart' and that should result in one cursor for each mouse plugged into the system.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Thnx spike this is really useful! :D