question about licences

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Nahuel

question about licences

Post by Nahuel »

well, Can I use GPL content and Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license in the content of a free game? if this is possible I will not mix gpl and CC BY-NC-SA content in a single file, i will just release some models, textures and sounds with the two differents licences in the package of a free game. CAn i do this?
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
Spike

Re: question about licences

Post by Spike »

the GPL requires that 'derivative works' also carry the GPL license.
if you can avoid your CC stuff from being a derivative work then the gpl-incompatible parts won't matter.

the precise definition of 'derivative work' is somewhat fuzzy.

if they're just random models you pulled off the internet then they're clearly not derivatives. you're using gpl software to view them, but they're not gpl themselves.

if they're models made explicitly for your GPLed work that only your GPLed work can correctly load+display, then arguing that they're non-derivative is much harder.

law is pretty much all about arguing, imho...
Julius

Post by Julius »

Yes should work (IANAL), but the "non-commercial" part really goes against the idea of FOSS. If possible at all you should try to avoid that.

Edit: http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

Edit2: cc-by-nc-sa licensed stuff can't be put into most Linux repositories for example.
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

Julius wrote:Yes should work (IANAL), but the "non-commercial" part really goes against the idea of FOSS. If possible at all you should try to avoid that.

Edit: http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

Edit2: cc-by-nc-sa licensed stuff can't be put into most Linux repositories for example.
So, is inconvenient but it is not illegal .... I always hate CC-BY-SA stuff, if the work is altered : why should I mention the original author? I'd rather be everything to GPL 2!! Well, I will use NC content, however, will be a small game in windows ...
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.