I think i broke my pc... :(

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
r00k

I think i broke my pc... :(

Post by r00k »

Sorry to post this over here but i thought I'd start with people I know instead of random yorks on the internet.

Last night I, i decided to pop open my case and do a little routine cleaning.
Just used a little compressed air.
Decided to install a 12v dc fan on my chipset's heatsink. (There used to be one that came with the mobo but it died a year ago)...

The system was fully working. All I did was shutdown, remove the powercord, laid it on the side, opened the case, blew out some dust, connected a fan, put it back together...

The INITIAL powerup, it stayed on for maybe 2 seconds, just as the fans started to spin it quickly shut itself off.

Now, when i start it up, all the fans spin, the drive lights go, led on the mobo but no video no POST beep.
I've spent a few hours on the net reading same probs from others. Kinda frustrating.

the system is
asus p5n-d motherboard
intel 8500 core 2 duo
antec psu 650w
etc..

So, I'm thinking...

i shorted something out installing the fan..
screwed up something blowing the dust around...
pressed on my chipset heatsink too hard seating the fan.

So, I took out everything not even the CPU installed and no POST BEEP.
I even made a benchtop setup with just the speaker, psu, mobo, 1 stick ram.... :(

Is it unreasonable to assume that maybe I killed the BIOS eprom?
I hope thats all cause thats only $15 ;)

luckly i installed my HD on my old system so ALL my quake stuff is still here!!! :D

Thanks for any help or suggestions...
leileilol

Re: I think i broke my pc... :(

Post by leileilol »

I'd think it's the PSU kicking the bucket. Also check for capacitors that have blown.
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

1) remove the just installed fan and check if the machine comes back;
2) if not, try a minimal configuration (just PSU + mobo + the bare minimum RAM to boot + CPU, all the rest - including but not restrict to disks, keyboard, display - disconnected from PSU and/or mobo). If it comes back, go plugging everything back, one piece at time, until either you find the culprit or the problem disappears (you can blame a bad contact on this case);
3) if not, it's very likely you burned the PSU and/or the mobo. Sorry :/
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
r00k

Post by r00k »

thanks for the replies.
i hope its just the psu or mobo only they cost the same to replace
as long as the cpu didnt get fried

rule of thumb i suppose is to wait 30 minutes bfore dusting to allow everything to cool down
especially since it was the psu i sprayed first
revelator

Post by revelator »

Check if ram are seated correctly if they are pull out all but one block now try and boot, if it fails pull out the remaining block and try one of the others. If it still fails its probably not the ram but you can only be sure if you have another PC to try them in. Not all mainboards will post an error with a bad ram block :).

next pull out anything else (harddrive, dvd, usb connections) leave the gfx card and one block of ram in and try to boot up with one block of ram at a time, if it still fails i hope you have a spare gfx card try with that.

reset your mainboard bios by switching the small pin connector for it to the reset position without current on the mainboard, wait 20 seconds then switch it back (if you cannot find it you can pull out the bios battery and wait for 20 seconds before putting it back in).

If it still fails its likely the PSU or mainboard that has hit the fan :S
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Post by revelator »

if its the mainboard i can vouch for this board as your new replacement "MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming"

it wont take a core2 though and you might not be able to find a board that does unless you go for a used board, it does however take core i3/i5/i7 processors with the 1150 socket :)
performance wise any of those will blow a core2 away (majorly so).

The board itself is in the midrange but has been known to outperform much more expensive boards.
Productivity is a state of mind.