Release: Hellsmash 0.4a

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Release: Hellsmash 0.4a

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Kind of a messy release, but what the heck.

Are there bugs? yes.
Is it fun? Hell yeah.

Features over Beta3:
1. There's a female player model by leileilol (prototype mind, needs some more anims I think)
2. TNT Paranoia (secondary fire almost didn't make it in!)
3. Revisions to hse1m1.

Tips for hse1m1:
If you want to live, get the machinegun from the beginning arms locker. The red key is nearby with the exploding barrels.

You'll need find the gold key, destroy the forcefield generator, and open the maintenance closets (from the reactor core in the bowels of the base).

The yellow key can be found near the silver key.

You can't miss the green key.

Also, not quite the final I was planning on, it has nevertheless reignited my quake modding fire. Plus, Inspiriation caught up to me with an aluminium bat, so I now have a much better vision of where I'm headed with the mod now than I did six months ago. :lol:

Screenshot:
http://www.quaketastic.com/files/screen_shots/qsr04.jpg

Download link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/klqqkq

Sorry about the sendspace download link, I tried to upload it to quaketastic, but it didn't work for some reason. I'd appreciate it if somebody could try uploading it to quaketastic and posting the link here, if possible.

Anyway, have fun. I'm gonna take a quick break before working on the next release which will have:
BFG-314
Helga / Miss Snu-Snu boss fight
Scythe Knight boss (I'm getting him a new scythe for Christmas :wink: )
More maps!

Have fun!

(Also, if you made a suggestion before for the mod, don't worry, I didn't forget about you, I just haven't had time to get around to it yet.)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: Release: Hellsmash 0.4a

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Oof...:(

Quick Patch to fix female player model skins / carbon-freeze skin and removal of some testing bprints with the cryobow and tnt paranoia missile pod:

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/misc/qsr04apatch1.7z

Just extract the above into your qsr directory.

Still can't figure out what's causing fitzquake mark v final to crash at the gold key door of hse1m1...Engoo seems to handle the mod the best with FTEQW coming in second so far. Gonna try fitzquake 0.85 next...

Edit: Fitzquake 0.85 handles gold key door fine, just noticed that the ogre at the top of the stairs skin was set wrong though. d'oh.

Also just noticed that machinegun tracers are not appearing right in FTEQW. Something for spike to look into, doesn't look like frames and skins for spike.mdl are being set by the engine...

Edit2: Nevermind the FTEQW, just sv_nailhack 1.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Will be sure to check it out asap :-)
sock

Post by sock »

What sort of feedback are you after for this MOD?
What direction is this mod going? SP? MP?

First impressions
I found the mod very confusing at first, I could not start the first map from the menu (your start map should be called start.bsp) and there was signposts all over the place in the start map. I even started the original id levels by accident and could not get back. I also found out by accident that you have loads of new functions bound to keyboard alias but no keys, this does make getting info from the PDA objective system difficult. The first map was fun once I got over the setup hurdles but its a lot of effort to get working.
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

sock wrote:What sort of feedback are you after for this MOD?
What direction is this mod going? SP? MP?
Both! I've currently got enough map layout running around my head to put into about 4 more SP maps. It's also meant to be fun for MP play though.
sock wrote: First impressions
I found the mod very confusing at first, I could not start the first map from the menu (your start map should be called start.bsp) and there was signposts all over the place in the start map. I even started the original id levels by accident and could not get back.
This is the kind of feedback I need. :D

Start map is called hs_skill.bsp because I didn't want to override the original id campaign feel with the original start map. I'll definately be redoing the start map though, so perhaps I'll just remake the original id1 architecture all into the same start map... Infact, that probably would be for the best.

Note that "Operation Counterstrike" IS the original id1 maps, named as such due to it being what id called the original four episode campaign.

Also note that you can set your player character / skin via the changing room...I'll be doing some changes there so that you can actually see what character you're selecting. (note that the female player model can also be accessed here, though it's probably quicker to just use the aliases)
sock wrote: I also found out by accident that you have loads of new functions bound to keyboard alias but no keys, this does make getting info from the PDA objective system difficult.
Part of the price of admission. :D I didn't bind any keys by default because I didn't want to mess up someone's config... FWIW, the readme has some info on the aliases, there's also some outdated info accessible via ingame f1 help...
sock wrote: The first map was fun once I got over the setup hurdles but its a lot of effort to get working.
Thanks for the feedback! :D

The next version is in development right now; I'll probably use CSQC via fteqw, so I'll have to ask Spike if there's any way to shove the extra bindings into the config menu or not.

If I can figure out how, maybe I'll also try to hack up a version of Fitzquake Mark V Final as an alternate engine as well...
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I havent had a lot of time to test this yet, so I'm still at it.

But from what I saw so far, yeah, it really needs default keybindings and some sort of ingame tutorial, even if its just centerprints.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I agree wholeheartedly with the need for either default bindings, or an unset bindings prompt.
I believe that was one of my criticisms for v0.1. It's a good mod though.

with that, i present to you...CRUD!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/albn31znd220l ... sprogs.zip

I wrote this a good while ago. It was a test to see how I would do keybindings in csqc.
As such it is NOT good code, it is not even in good shape for BAD code.
It should NOT Be used as is. But if you take a look at it, it should be enough to get you most of the way there.

I actually havent looked at it since i shoved it in the recesses of my dropbox. So I'm going to take a peek now : )
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

OR I'm a complete asshat and linked a progs.dat instead of the source.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1759mfiw5zhh ... dsMenu.zip

ammended.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Hmmm, this means I probably should move up the csqc stuff in priority.
goldenboy wrote: I havent had a lot of time to test this yet, so I'm still at it.

But from what I saw so far, yeah, it really needs default keybindings and some sort of ingame tutorial, even if its just centerprints.
Hmmm, hazard course on order then! :wink:

Wonder if I should make it mandatory on the start map, or make it optional...(/me pictures walking into empty base lobby and seeing a sign with incoming PDA message directing new recruits to the obstacle course)
gnounc wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with the need for either default bindings, or an unset bindings prompt.
I believe that was one of my criticisms for v0.1. It's a good mod though.

with that, i present to you...CRUD!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/albn31znd220l ... sprogs.zip

I wrote this a good while ago. It was a test to see how I would do keybindings in csqc.
As such it is NOT good code, it is not even in good shape for BAD code.
It should NOT Be used as is. But if you take a look at it, it should be enough to get you most of the way there.
Thanks, I'll check it out. :D
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

There is a hazard course? As a matter of fact, I didn't see any start map. I eventually remembered that the first map is called hse1m1, this is how I started playing Hellsmash...

start map being accessible from the menu might be a good thing.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

goldenboy wrote:There is a hazard course? As a matter of fact, I didn't see any start map. I eventually remembered that the first map is called hse1m1, this is how I started playing Hellsmash...

start map being accessible from the menu might be a good thing.
No, not yet there isn't. Hence, why one is now "on order". :P

There is a start map, hs_skill.bsp.

I've started finishing the new gfx for the CSQC hud. (there was at one time a screenshot of the prototype IIRC, probably gone now...)

gnounc: Just took a look at your keybind thing, looks like this will help a lot. :D