John Carmack leaves ID software

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Nahuel

John Carmack leaves ID software

Post by Nahuel »

hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
jitspoe

Re: John Carmack leaves ID software

Post by jitspoe »

"i"t's "d"ead software. :\
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

This was a blow to me. Though I think IGN should include a disclaimer on the article about their efforts to destroy his legacy through their abuse of community content inherited through acquisitions.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

It was dead when they sold it, I think. They should have done something more creative, like scale everything back down, sell that render farm and do a kickstarter. People would have flung money at them.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

please, someone tells me it'not true. :(
id software IS videogames
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

oh shit.

It was a sinking ship from that point on anyway, and look on the bright side - Carmack's contributions to VR headsets will be more important than Bethesda's overhyped piece of elder trash. :)

Condolences to anyone affected by the brash actions of this corporation... which are a lot, sadly. A lot of people can't make a living under the Zenimax brand unless it's Bethesda internal or what one game they bless their marketing budget on when they don't have an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game in the year...
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

TBH this doesn't surprise me at all. It was clear to me Carmack's mind and heart wasn't at id for a long time. Better to him (and for the gaming scene) he's so passionated about VR, somebody so gifted as Carmack can surely bring to reality many things that currently belongs to scifi (personnal holodeck FTW yay !). And Engine John was always about tech challenges. While things in 3D engines were a technological impossibility or challenge he was on it. Nowadays anyone can write a pretty decent 3D engine just reading a couple books, the challenge value is gone, so it was time to him to move to something else. I can understand this feeling.

As for id as a brand, I wish Bethesda could let it fade in the dark as a sign of respect to the brand's past, but I'm pretty sure this won't happen. :(
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Ah!

Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

i should not be here
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Well that was distressing to read, but... id was once small enough to run without much of a corporate structure and through the personalities of those present, but at their current size, process trumps personality, as process is hard to politicize or ignore, especially as more people follow it and thus become productive enough that they just stand out through basic competence. I find it interesting that the writer commented that the atmosphere cost them Carmack, rather than just he was too busy - yeah, Oculus is an interesting project to him, but something had to have happened to get him to consider leaving id in the first place.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

leileilol wrote:Not a good idea.
Wow, that's bad... :(
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

Ouch :S

Looks like the zenimax aqusition broke whatever was left of the old id, might not have been intentional since it seems that they normally get quite well along.
Managment however .... oh my god.
Productivity is a state of mind.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

reckless wrote:Ouch :S

Looks like the zenimax aqusition broke whatever was left of the old id, might not have been intentional since it seems that they normally get quite well along.
Managment however .... oh my god.
But that's the strange part: at least the 3 first comments I read were clear cut about Bethesda/Zenimax not interfering at all, and being actually very patient with the studio constant missed deadlines and failures.
The problem seems to be the people in the (lack of ?) management.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

frag.machine wrote: The problem seems to be the people in the (lack of ?) management.
This is the cause of 99.9% of company failures.I worked in some companies with stupid managers/chiefs and the ending was always the same: shutdown.
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
revelator

Post by revelator »

Was talking about id's old managment :) i read it the same way that zenimax actually was very patient.
Id is iconic in many ways and it seems some in the upper circles couldnt handle the fame :S sucks to be a developer who actually gives a damn then.

Sad to see them breaking up, zenimax should take the reins and try to get them back on track.
Productivity is a state of mind.