Half-Life is 15

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Half-Life is 15

Post by scar3crow »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11 ... -15-today/

This just reminds me of many of the reasons why I loathe Half-Life. The first big push toward the trend of linear levels where the player exists more like a game show contestant than a protagonist, where set pieces and NPC exposition are more important than decisions and gameplay. All to justify a story that was Doom with a sprinkle of BlakeStone, but shoved down your throat at every other turn. Don't even get me started on the comments about how it had this Revolutionary Mod Scene, considering most of its successes were continuations of Quake and Quake 2 mods.

Feel free to join me in a bitter frown, 15 years later and I still don't like it.

P.S., I did want to like it, but it was the first game to deeply disappoint me, it was the first game to take away some of that gaming magic that had defined my adolescence and childhood.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
frag.machine

Re: Half-Life is 15

Post by frag.machine »

TBH I like Half Life... Except the Xen part. It just doesnt work to me, it looks too goofy. OTOH the Nihilant was a disturbing vision for a final boss.

I think that attaching a plot to a FPS will always require the price of putting it on rails at some degree. That said, Unreal was a story driven FPS sharing the same problems and I dont see many people complaining...
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

Also one of the likers :) and i actually liked xen hehe.

Probably i was fortunate in having a voodoo2 i remember some stuff like water looked dreadfull in the software renderer (couldnt see shit) and the d3d renderer had a nasty tendency of crashing all the time :evil:

And im still waiting on episode 3 valve!!!! get cracking.
Productivity is a state of mind.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

reckless wrote:And im still waiting on episode 3 valve!!!! get cracking.
About 4 years ago:
Scientist: Shouldn't you be in the test chamber half a year ago?
Scientist: They're waiting for you in the test chamberrrr...
Barney: Hey, catch me later and I'll buy you a beer!
Valve: Allright! Let's go! Barney buys beers for all!
Barney: I have a bad feeling about this...
Valve: *drunken singing, yodling and dreaming about cheese*

Yea, I'm waiting for it too. I got episode 1, then I saw episode 2, but didn't buy it, thought there's going to be some mega pack with all of them together half a year later.. Of course that's not happened, now it's been 4 years or something. I blame Barney.
zbang!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I feel Half-Life could have had a lot of potential, but pissed it all away by making things too linear and scripted. The maps are boring. Nothing feels spontaneous, or unexpected. Even the fights feel over scripted. End result pretty much kills replay value.

Xen wasn't all bad, the platforming stuff is what ruins it.

Opforce and Blue Shift were more entertaining, but also suffered greatly from the original game's primary issue.

I refuse to try Half-Life 2 because of all I've heard about the "loiter and we will kill you with grenades from nowhere", and the same issues that kill the first game.

Seriously, if they were just gonna make me play SmashTV in fps form, they should at least be upfront about it. (come to think of it, that was Serious Sam. Which was crazy. In a GOOD way. :D )

Unreal differs from Half-Life in this regard because Unreal feels and behaves more like Quake. The level design is also much better for replay value.

So yeah. HL is the best game evar. :( Bitter frown here? Very much so.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Unreal differs from Half-Life in this regard because Unreal feels and behaves more like Quake. The level design is also much better for replay value.
"Replay value" is highly debatable and more of a personnal opinion. I think Unreal boring in general, but I concede that there are cool things on it. I always remember the moment I got out the crashed ship and saw that huge alien world with the bunnies-like small critters running, it was one of my first "OHHHH SHINY" moments with an FPS. But level after level I found the gameplay boring, and never finished it. I have replayed HL and HL2 some times, and I never get bored.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hilarious jim thanks for the laugh :lol:

But yeah not sure what the guys over at valve are thinking :?: its ok to iron out bugs but the timeframe is nearing Dukenukem "forever" style.
And im quite sure they hit the same snag that put that game in release hell, new shiny tech stuff and devs going crazy to show of there uber skills.
Well listen to an old customer i like shiny stuff like the next guy but id rather play the game :) your engine looks good enough in its last incarnation.

Story wise i quite like half-life its a crazy mix of war of the worlds mixed with other dimensional baddies and a rather unlikely hero (me scientist go hulk smash with crowbar) :P whats not to like hehe.
Productivity is a state of mind.