John Carmack to work primarily on Oculus Rift

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
frag.machine

Re: John Carmack to work primarily on Oculus Rift

Post by frag.machine »

leileilol wrote:oh shit.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Yeah I read that.
I hope they stay the fuck out of carmacks way. :/
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

John Carmack is working for Facebook?

Consider my soul crushed.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Now Facebook holds not only the top facial technology (98% accuracy, same as a human being), but also the best VR solution out there and 2 top renamed programming geniuses. Last year Google acquired 8 robotic companies (including Boston Dynamics) *and* another handful of AI startups. They already had huge map databases, half the web indexed and unmanned cars. I don't know if this will end up either in Skynet or in the Matrix or something else in the middle, but we're screwed anyway. Time to learn how to make nitroglicerin with corn syrup and mothballs...
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

"whos abrash" - the internet
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

Snowcrash? Not likely. Nobody under 30 uses Facebook, and 3d makes old people nauseous.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

qbism wrote:Snowcrash? Not likely. Nobody under 30 uses Facebook, and 3d makes old people nauseous.
Maybe not in the USA anymore, but here in Brazil this isn't true. And I suspect the same still happens in other countries.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Phonechat apps, snapchat and Google products are making a dent in US. My own spawn use YouTube /g+ as a chat system and do not FB at all. They do not snapchat but group-text, eating up dataplan, grr. G+ was an awkward intrusion at first, but not so bad now in context of YT. Google has spread many tablets and chromebooks throughout schools in my area, requiring students and teachers to have g+ accounts.

Anyway, fb purchase may turn out to be a good thing for vr. But vr has always been a niche market. How will they earn back those billions on this particular gear?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Time will tell though. I think the buyout is all for making a "google glass killer" and maybe there's going to be some future corporate drama about Michohn Carmacbrash's efforts being dismissed for some outsourced switcheroo backstabbery.

We'll see. I do still find it funny that fate put Abrash with Carmack again trying to leading another technical revolution like the software lightmapped 3d polygonal/surfacecache rendering in 95-96.
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Facebook in yer face for real this time :lol:

Btw on the odd chance that were really screwed i do know the real formula for nitro (gramps was a demolition man in WW2) sorry no pointers hehe, probably for the best also since blowing yourself up is hazardous to your Health :twisted:
Productivity is a state of mind.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I used the news of Abrash as a filter at work for those who know anything of FPSes. A lot of "Who's Abrash?", a lot of "Yeah okay." and two forms of "holy" excrement. Appreciating the impact of Carmack and Abrash working together again is my little acid test. Still hesitant about Facebook, but who knows, they might stay back. Just have to wait and see.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

I don't think Facebook is the final piece of the puzzle.

VR technology still have to deal with problems that I haven't seen any VR project be even aware that they exist. Have any VR project ever considered researching into the kinds of eye diseases and injuries that their users may already have? I haven't seen any VR project ever mention anything about image adjustments for people with torsional strabismus (which I do have a little of) or any other kind of heterotropia. Some examples:

If they never thought of solving such a problem which would be dead easy to adjust the image for, what about problems like Infantile Esotropia, which I did have and still happens to me when my eyes get really tired?
(image from EyeWiki)

VR research still seems to be at the same stage that gamepads and keyboards were before ergonomic issues became a serious concern. Millions of people may already have small degrees of conditions like those and haven't realized it or been properly diagnosed yet. I predict this becoming a big concern after VR headsets have become really popular.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
qbism

Post by qbism »

An alternative approach with OS IDtech. Re: eye conditions, this might lend itself to custom lenses and/or calibrated views on the smartphone:
http://youtu.be/-n1nr9C6JMk
http://www.durovis.com/sdk.html
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:96878
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

I like how he's just playing the default Quake2 demo and acting like he's controlling it.