wadseeker

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

wadseeker

Post by ceriux »

so doom has wadseeker how come quake doesnt have a tool like this? probably because we dont have anyone who actually plays... but it would be a useful tool.
frag.machine

Re: wadseeker

Post by frag.machine »

Quake Injector ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

but isnt that only for maps?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Still, we aren't completely uncovered, right ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Solve https://www.quaddicted.com/random/addin ... quaddicted and there will be mods. Well, someone would need to step up to continue development of the Quake Injector itself too.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i guess. too bad wadseeker has a server browser / mod downloader. it would still be cool to have something with features like this.
Spike

Post by Spike »

In reply to spirit:
I don't personally see a difference between modern maps and mods. quite a lot of 'maps' are distributed in their own gamedir with a collection of bsps all stored in the same pak. add some qc and a few models and there's really no technical difference as far as some installer/3rd party program is concerned. the only technical difference is that you can potentially combine maps with mods, but really that's as simple as just installing both at once - just make sure dependancies are supported. the rest is political.

engine-exclusive mods is just a dependancy. an especially problematic one as people are far too lazy to test which versions of which of the multitudes of engines actually work with their project, but just a dependancy none the less (one that users are likely to want to attempt to override should an engine be forked or enhanced). yes, this does somewhat imply that you need the capability to install engines (and dlls) to satisfy dependancies. yay native code... :s
even In The Shadows had issues with bugs in various engines, despite otherwise being fairly universal. dp/fte-specific mods are not really the major headache here - single engine support is much easier to aproach.

why is 'measure the amount/scope of a mod' even desirable to the larger community? if quaddicted's policies prohibit certain mods, and someone wants them to be allowed, let that someone maintain their own repository and allow easy affiliation with the quake injector, much like apt-get allows you. add a file association too, much like downloading a .deb works (and one for additional sources for updates too, and include .dem file associations just because).

just needs decent categories.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

ceriux wrote:i guess. too bad wadseeker has a server browser / mod downloader. it would still be cool to have something with features like this.
What do you mean with "too bad"? Quicklook shows wadseeker not being a server browser but that is doomseeker?

Quaddicted currently only hosts maps because that was what I am personally interested in and thus what I designed for. I open-sourced the site, so please contribute? Scope is a temporary thing. ;)

Technically there often is no difference. But neither Quaddicted nor the Quake Injector are file dumps. There are categories and you have an idea of what you get. I would not want to present "filea" and "fileb" to the user where "filea" is a stock Quake map and "fileb" is a star wars racing mod.

There is also the issue that I prefer files to be original and mods are often in RAR or 7Z format, how to solve that?

There is no prohibition and I wish you would not go that linguistic youknowwho route. As I said, it is not a "dump everything in a directory and call it done" project. On the other hand, I would really appreciate if someone dumped a collection of mods at me, that would be step 1... I doubt you would prohibit the addition of some random feature to FTEQW but you would not integrate some badly written, insecure and slow code, right?
Spike wrote:just needs decent categories.
Bingo? :P :(

For engine exclusive/specific things the Injector would need per-package user-configurable settings that include the engine (portable, the QI is not Windows only poop). How would you extend that to versioned engines (if a feature is not existant in older/newer versions)?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Spike

Post by Spike »

there are features that I would prohibit being added to fte. mp3 codecs come to mind. ezquake's console particles is another (/me vomits). I'm very tempted to strip the ^b feature too. I'm also likely to refuse to accept features that will require too much maintainence, eg server addresses would not be acceptable (but hardcoded default master servers are somehow fine), though I suppose most such things would be covered by the 'badly written' clause.

regarding engine dependancies, you could do it based upon exclusions. make some sort of script/list that excludes the various different engines+versions and let the user prioritise the installed engines based upon personal preference. then just run whichever engine has the highest priority that was not excluded. at least it avoids per-mod settings everywhere. if the user doesn't have a suitable engine installed then you can display a list or point them towards the mod's recommended engine website. I don't know how you're going to determine which engines+versions are currently installed though (require that engines support 'engine -printversion +quit' or something? at least if different versions are supported, or hash the binary to compare against known versions?).
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

well i mean wadseeker doesnt look in one location for a mod/download. basically it just downloads the .wad(s) which i assume is a lot like a pak file. on joining a server it sees weather you have the original doom/2 .wad then if the server is playing a mod it detects which one and downloads the .wad(s) from different ftps/urls. so maybe adding download locations from http://quakeone.com/files/4-mod-files/ and maybe http://www.quakewiki.net/quake-1/mods/ would help. i mean as long as they were okay with people downloading from their hosts through the quakeinjector. also it would be cool if someone smarter than i am could collaberate with you to add a dp/fte server browser similar to wadseeker to quakeinjector. thats all i ment about too bad. quakeinjector is really cool. i do like it. but i dont play a lot of single player. since all the servers have died back iv sorta stopped playing quake unless its on my psp...

also isnt quakeinjector written in java? cant java be used to extract zip files?
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

One thing to keep in mind is that while Doom uses WADS ("Wheres All the Data") for maps and mods (sometimes they use pk3...), with Quake a map can be a BSP, or a BSP with external textures or resources, or a pak file containing that BSP and external resources, or a progs.data with a BSP... Mods however are often just a progs.dat, sometimes a PAK containing a progs and resources, but no BSPs.

Clearly everything should be in a tar.gz. Go forth and compress everything, we will unpack on load!

That is my useless contribution to this discussion. For Doom they can simply look for matching PWADs and if there is the required IWAD. For Quake, we are talking many more scenarios.

As an example as to how different these situations are, I have all of the Quakes in their respective folders. I however have a DoomEngine folder, containing Doom/2/Final/Masters along with Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. I dump all the mods and engines for those right in there and it works out hunkydorey.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

a lot of the downloads from wadseeker are just zip's
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

while this thread is active. iv been curious what are the requirements to make a free standalone version of quake? like if all content that was replaced. i mean i know you cant just remake the quake guy and stuff the same. but could it still be a space marine or?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Spike and I talked on IRC for a bit and shared some good ideas. Adding mods looks more possible now.

ceriux: Ah, nevermind. I was getting a wrong impression due to a missing comma.

The Injector is Java and it does extract ZIP files, yeah. The Doom community has their idgames directory still alive and they have enforced standards for packaging and many mirrors. Also what scar3crow said. They have it much easier. The Quaddicted database includes instructions for the Injector where/how to extract files as they are not packaged in a standardised way. Hell, some mods bring their own engine. I had to repack many zip files to make them possible to install automated.

I would not be too keen about a server browser in the Injector. It is primarily meant for Singleplayer and before the scope is changed so much, there are much more important issues/features to add. It could be used as "installation companion" though I guess.
ceriux wrote:while this thread is active. iv been curious what are the requirements to make a free standalone version of quake? like if all content that was replaced. i mean i know you cant just remake the quake guy and stuff the same. but could it still be a space marine or?
Please make a new thread (or search as this should have been talked about earlier).
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

either way it would be cool to see the quakeinjector get updated and new features added.

also sure ill try a search for the other topic.