Quake Confessions

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ajay

Re: Quake Confessions

Post by ajay »

I hadn't finished all of Quake without cheats until 2 years ago, and even then only on Normal.
I don't like Quake 2 and have never finished it. Though I did finish Quake IV for some reason (mainly 'cos it was easier, I think) I'd pay stupid amounts of cash for a new Quake "universe" SP game
My lack of enthusiasm for MP is mainly due to my lack of skill at it (more than my story-telling pretence)
Due to having so many extended breaks from modding, I basically have to relearn everything from scratch. (Obvious, I know #1) - this is particularly problematic when restarting a mod - I know I'll struggle to get to grips with the Gate/"Horde" type code in eQ if/when I ever get back to it.
I still have pretty much no idea how the fundamentals of QuakeC work (Obvious, I know #2)
I never use the grid or any numbers for working out geometry when mapping. It's all by "eye". (Obvious, I know #3)
I'm always reluctant to release qc code or .maps for mods due to how crappy they are.
The only reason eQ uses Quake monsters is because I can't model new characters to use.
Orion

Post by Orion »

I've started playing Quake when I was 4 or 5 years old LOL. My older brother showed it to me, back in 1996 or 1997 iirc.
I only managed to finish vanilla Quake on normal skill without cheats. I've finished on hard but in coop mode (only me playing but respawning), without cheats but dying sometimes, on nightmare i died often.
Some monsters on fan-made maps still scare me, especially on dark areas or when they appear out of nowhere.
Nowadays I rarely play MP, and I don't know why. I used to play a lot of MP a couple years ago. Now I prefer playing SP or TF/FFA with bots, and I also have an unreleased SP mod with converted Q2 monsters (almost all of them including Makron), which mixes Q1/Q2 monsters or you can choose playing with only Q1 or Q2 monsters handled by a cvar, with improved AI also, so they're much more challenging than vanilla Quake monsters.
I've never played Nehahra as well.
I particularly liked Quake 2, but not anywhere near as I liked Quake 1. I only managed to finish it *last year* :o and I needed a fucking walkthrough, because I got lost on the last city/palace levels.
I've never finished Doom nor Doom II. Doom 3 sucked, I've uninstalled it after like 45 minutes of play.
Quake 4 was kinda boring also.
I loved HL and HL2, too bad they aren't in QC. Lol.
And lastly, I found it an absurd that vanilla Quake cell boxes only contain 6 for small and 12 for big :evil: and the LG comes with 15 cells (which is also ridiculous IMO), and they were very scarce on vanilla SP levels, that I used to save the LG for shamblers only.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

scar3crow wrote:Wherein I shamelessly rip off a Doomworld forum thread about Doom confessions.
  • I've never played Nehahra or watched Seal of Nehahra. I got twenty minutes into the movie and got bored. I got through a few levels of Nehahra but couldn't take the crazy strafing monsters and quit.
  • I've still not tried Travail.
  • I never played Zerstorer deathmatch, and only discovered that it had its own maps for such in 2007.
  • I loathe bunnyhopping and what it does to games, I consider it a bug and if I could, I would stomp it.
  • I've never played all of Quake without cheats, when I first got the game (Dec 25 1996) I considered myself too bad to survive without god mode.
  • I was still scared of the monsters anyways.
  • I don't trust any remake project, at this point I'd rather leave Quake be and see new things in the same spiritual style.
I've played Nehahra all the way through once. Watched the Seal of Nehahra numerous times from start to finish.
Played most of Travail.
Never played Zerstorer deathmatch either, though I knew of the existence of the maps.
I too hate bunnyhopping. It's an exploit that quickly turned into a feature that makes for unfair games.
My buddy from long ago use to challenge me to how fast we could beat Quake on nightmare. I won.
Never been scared of the monsters.
Remake projects ruin Quake for me. None of them have the same "feel".
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I just recently played through Quake (on hard).. and for the first time ever played The Nameless City. Although I checked a walkthrough on how to get there. One time before I warped to the level and looked at the beginning, but didn't play any further.

This playthrough I went into noclip mode after I had reached the exit and fly around the levels and checked what secrets I missed. I think I missed a few in noclip mode too.. but what's the point for looking secrets if I already have all the weapons, ammo, health and red armor...

Also it seems I've never patched my Quake... maybe it's time to do that. Really dislike picking up cells when I have 100 of them.
zbang!