Darkplaces on Android

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
motorsep

Re: Darkplaces on Android

Post by motorsep »

If that was the case, Dungeon Defenders would not be ported to Android. Yet, there they are. While it's true that Android users buy less than iOS users, they do throw money on stuff that they feel worth spending money on. Not to mention userbase is huge.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Well ... here's the Quake shareware license agreement:
SHAREWARE VERSION: QUAKE LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT
2. Commercial Use is Prohibited. Under no circumstances shall you, the end-user, be permitted, allowed or authorized to commercially exploit the Software, or any portion thereof, such as a screen display or a screenshot. Neither you nor anyone at your direction shall do any of the following acts:

a. Rent the Software;

b. Sell the Software
This isn't the first mobile Quake port and it hard to see them getting into a reputable app store to begin with. Most of them are Russians that don't really understand copyright law until later on when things don't go according to plan.

It really isn't getting worked up about.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... k.DoomGLES strongly disagrees
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... quaketouch too (uses FTEQW)

Though of course I do not know their pricing history.

I guess they do the same as other tools did. Not bundling the shareware but downloading it later on.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Baker

Post by Baker »

That Doom port had a whole ton of comments. :!:
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Baker

Post by Baker »

LordHavoc wrote:I admit being a little miffed if someone is going to sell it on Google Play but I have no control over that..
Should you ever have a DarkPlaces in an app store I'm sure the logo @ q1.com could extended to say "Now at Google Play" or whatever with a direct link if you like. Just pointing out the obvious and making it known, you've invested more than a decade in DarkPlaces.
Max_Salivan

Post by Max_Salivan »

Hey,guys,good news.
1)This app in google play,now :) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... QuUTRBIl0.
2)"Tegra has graphical artifacts due to the small depth buffer."-fixed
3)Download link(just in case) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycub5zhlazyytha/QI4A.apk
Source code is in QI4A.apk\assets\source
Sorry for my english :)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Great news, thanks a lot.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
n0n3m4

Post by n0n3m4 »

Sorry for my English, I'm russian.
Hi all, I'm the author of this port and I'll answer some questions (even if they haven't been asked =)
First of all, I've never sold my ports of GPL software because, as all we know, selling GPL software is not only amoral, but it is obviously senseless also (although, tech support for GPL software can be sold).
Some people have tried to sell my ports without any modifications and finally that content was removed: I know how to defend my apps even it the case of GPL, I've simply packaged my own MSPaint-drawn pictures in APK and any usage of them IS violation because these pictures are not GPL (because APK package is NOT a derivative work, it is just a ZIP archive, only classes.dex and native libraries are).
BUT I don't like GPL and I will not follow it before publishing app on Google Play. Well, you can try to sue me but these ports are initially published on the websites where you can find a lot of real pirated apps, so nobody cares.
The reason why I don't like GPL is that anyone can just sell my work as his own what is probably amoral. You can find a "Quake Touch" port in Google Play, he have banned the whole Russia to block my source code requests :lol: (but he doesn't seem to use any code from QI4A, if he will, I'll just republish his app for free). This "Quake Touch" port is in a trademark violation also, "All trademarks are used under the terms of Fair Use" is a lie, because the only Fair Use of trademarks in commercial products is a nominative usage (to REFER original product).
And I don't use shareware datas, because I've read a license agreement.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Are you talking about https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... quaketouch ?!

That port is using FTEQW so I highly doubt it is violating your works.

I also got the source from him by simply asking nicely.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

gpl can not be changed, if you do not like so gpl doesn´t code taking gpl code from base :P
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
n0n3m4

Post by n0n3m4 »

Spirit wrote:Are you talking about https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... quaketouch ?!

That port is using FTEQW so I highly doubt it is violating your works.

I also got the source from him by simply asking nicely.
I've already said: "but he doesn't seem to use any code from QI4A, if he will, I'll just republish his app for free", read carefully please.
Obviously he must send you the source code, I'm talking about that I just can't buy his app to request the source because Russia is just blocked for a strange reason... He mustn't send the source code if I haven't received a binary from him (by the terms of GPL), so he is probably trying to use that.
Nahuel wrote:gpl can not be changed, if you do not like so gpl doesn´t code taking gpl code from base :P
Nope, I'll just violate it before publishing app on Google Play. And if you will try to force me to comply with license BEFORE release on Google Play, I will laugh at you ;)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I did not buy the app, I just asked nicely. Maybe you should try that too. :wink:

And please do not get it, compile and publish for free. There is nothing wrong with selling GPL software. The license explicitly allows it, it is even encouraged.
n0n3m4

Post by n0n3m4 »

Spirit wrote:I did not buy the app, I just asked nicely. Maybe you should try that too. :wink:

And please do not get it, compile and publish for free. There is nothing wrong with selling GPL software. The license explicitly allows it, it is even encouraged.
As for now, I've got the code already (but not from the dev).
If he won't use any of my code, I won't republish his app.
And selling others' work is probably wrong btw =)
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Others' work? You used DP engine, which already had GLES2 rendering path and other implementations for mobile platforms. All you did was fixing it. That's all your work in it - fixes. So claiming porting DP to Android was your work is wrong.

If you don't want people using DP Android, which includes your fixes, for commercial purposes, you should have never ever touched DP in the first place. And if people do, all you can legally do is obtain their source code, repackage DP app, and release it for free. If someone used DP Android with your fixes for commercial app, you can not threaten them to release their entire app for free, nor you can release it for free. Only the engine is GPL, not the data they supply with it.

Не тупи, учи язык и внимательно читай GPL лицензию, по ходу спрашивая у знающих людей что и как.
n0n3m4

Post by n0n3m4 »

motorsep wrote:Others' work? You used DP engine, which already had GLES2 rendering path and other implementations for mobile platforms. All you did was fixing it. That's all your work in it - fixes. So claiming porting DP to Android was your work is wrong.

If you don't want people using DP Android, which includes your fixes, for commercial purposes, you should have never ever touched DP in the first place. And if people do, all you can legally do is obtain their source code, repackage DP app, and release it for free. If someone used DP Android with your fixes for commercial app, you can not threaten them to release their entire app for free, nor you can releas e it for free. Only the engine is GPL, not the data they supply with it.

Не тупи, учи язык и внимательно читай GPL лицензию, по ходу спрашивая у знающих людей что и как.
If DP was already ported to Android (I haven't ported it, right?), just send me an APK of that old version, please.
I'm not against a standalone game based on QI4A, but "Quake Touch" is an attempt to sell engine ;)
И да, раз уж ты русский, разберись для начала в вопросе прежде чем плакать здесь. Речь именно о торговле движком и ее я могу свести к нулю в полном соответствии с GPL.