Darkplaces on Android

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
motorsep

Re: Darkplaces on Android

Post by motorsep »

n0n3m4 wrote:If DP was already ported to Android (I haven't ported it, right?), just send me an APK of that old version, please.
It's on SVN, no one is hiding it. It's broken, but everything one needs to run it on Android or iOS is there. Wait for LordHavoc to come down here, he will definitely clarify it for you. The port was already done when Tegra 3 was coming out.
n0n3m4 wrote:I'm not against a standalone game based on QI4A, but "Quake Touch" is an attempt to sell engine ;)
And they can. GPL doesn't forbid it. You can be as much against it as you want, you can't do much about it.
n0n3m4 wrote:И да, раз уж ты русский, разберись для начала в вопросе прежде чем плакать здесь. Речь именно о торговле движком и ее я могу свести к нулю в полном соответствии с GPL.
Я не плохо разбираюсь в сабже. И к нулю ты ничего не сведешь. Может разве что испортишь настроение другим людям :) GPL разрешает продажу GPL софта и только требует выпуска исходников на момент релиза (и естественно указания всех авторов). Вон Блендер бесплатный, GPL, так некоторые умудряются его продавать. И ничего сделать с этим нельзя.
n0n3m4

Post by n0n3m4 »

motorsep wrote:
n0n3m4 wrote:If DP was already ported to Android (I haven't ported it, right?), just send me an APK of that old version, please.
It's on SVN, no one is hiding it. It's broken, but everything one needs to run it on Android or iOS is there. Wait for LordHavoc to come down here, he will definitely clarify it for you. The port was already done when Tegra 3 was coming out.
n0n3m4 wrote:I'm not against a standalone game based on QI4A, but "Quake Touch" is an attempt to sell engine ;)
And they can. GPL doesn't forbid it. You can be as much against it as you want, you can't do much about it.
n0n3m4 wrote:И да, раз уж ты русский, разберись для начала в вопросе прежде чем плакать здесь. Речь именно о торговле движком и ее я могу свести к нулю в полном соответствии с GPL.
Я не плохо разбираюсь в сабже. И к нулю ты ничего не сведешь. Может разве что испортишь настроение другим людям :) GPL разрешает продажу GPL софта и только требует выпуска исходников на момент релиза (и естественно указания всех авторов). Вон Блендер бесплатный, GPL, так некоторые умудряются его продавать. И ничего сделать с этим нельзя.
I've seen an iOS port only, the only possible way of Android support was SDL which is not perfect on Android for now.
I know that GPL allows to do almost anything (when you provide the source), but it is probably amoral to sell opensource engine that's why I say that it is bad. I've never said that it is illegal.
А вообще, SEO + бесплатность продукта могут творить чудеса и выпнуть платных конкурентов из верхушки поисковой выдачи, что вполне равносильно сведению продаж к нулю. Другой вопрос, что мне лень. Но если автор тронет хоть немного моего кода (да-да, те "небольшие" исправления), мне точно не будет лень, это станет делом принципа.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

Some parts of the official Android port were never finished due to performance issues at the time and the porting was abandoned, though it appears to be adequate to play Quake, it wasn't up to my standards at the time. So I did not check in the relevant bits and pieces of the ndk build process for it (which is a bit hairy), however much of the code was shared with the iOS port and both were built on SDL 1.3 (which now became SDL 2.0) so that both will converge to a solid code-base with shared handling of platform events, touch screen input and other considerations like GLES2 rendering.

Since those porting attempts, I have learned a great deal about optimizing the OpenGL geometry processing parts of the engine, including especially valuable insights from my time at Valve where discussions with vendors provided much insight (in both directions) about how to optimize a Quake-derived engine on Linux and elsewhere, and have started implementing many of these insights (in particular the new R_BufferData_Store function is the heart of a high performance rendering design for OpenGL on all platforms) and I see that Doom3 BFG Edition contains much the same pipeline for high performance OpenGL (although it takes the step of threading all the geometry processing which requires major architectural changes for best effect).

For iOS and Android porting I highly recommend using SDL2 (which is what SDL 1.3 became) because it has momentum in the right direction, it has rough spots but it's worth fixing the SDL2 implementation rather than avoiding use of SDL2, in the long run SDL2 is going to be the backbone of great multi-platform game development and warrants serious consideration.

Regarding the selling of GPL engines, I think this is more or less a self-solving market problem (for people to buy something it has to demonstrate significant advantages in usability and presentation over no-cost alternatives), selling commercial games with the engine included makes perfect sense to me however.

It's all too easy for people to think "hey I deserve some royalties" when they hear that their favorite project is being sold on an app store, but it's rarely going to be any significant sum of money at the best of times and a lot of good-will can be lost in fighting over shares of very little.
Julius

Post by Julius »

Cool that you provide some input, and great to hear that you are back into improving Darkplaces. Any approx. ETA when the SDL2.0 and those render speed-ups will arrive (for the PC version)? Would be great to have them ready for the next big Xonotic release.

P.S.: Any plans to merge the Android changes back into the main code base to have it all nicely in one repository?
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

Julius wrote:Cool that you provide some input, and great to hear that you are back into improving Darkplaces. Any approx. ETA when the SDL2.0 and those render speed-ups will arrive (for the PC version)? Would be great to have them ready for the next big Xonotic release.
The changes I speak of have been in place for some months, there are more that can be done.

SDL2.0 is already supported and has been for a long time.
Julius wrote:P.S.: Any plans to merge the Android changes back into the main code base to have it all nicely in one repository?
I lack the time presently to promise any such thing. These are not in general going to benefit desktop speed at all, they are more general cleanup.
Julius

Post by Julius »

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. All the better then :)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

so i got my g/f a android tablet for christmas and i recently put https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .Q4A&hl=en (qi4a) on it. the engine seems to run really smooth, but aiming and movement seems really weird. iv played other shooters on her tablet and it felt much better. does anyone know who develops this so i can contact them directly and give some feedback?