OpenSmash Project Design Doc

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

OpenSmash Project Design Doc

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

What follows is very much wall of text. You have been warned.

This is by no means complete, but should serve as a nice starting point for the general direction I want to go in for the Standalone version of Hellsmash. Feel free to point out anything you don't particularly like, or suggest something you'd like to see. Also note that monster names are internal references and will probably change as development continues.

edit1: updated to better clarify tag support, added clarification of animation type in proposed engine specs and player faction, added powerup items

Code: Select all

Hellsmash Beta 4 (OpenSmash) Design Doc

Goals in this version:
Standalone Game.  (GPL if possible)

Proposed Engine Specs at this time:
.IQM support (uses premade / canned animations, no plans at this time for CSQC skeletal controls)
DP style (.iqm attach to bones) tag support (QC Functions)
DPExtensions (unknown how many at this time)
CSQC (Primarily for HUD, MAY be used for certain effects)
Input / Output functions for HUB Support, etc.
Q2BSP Format (To allow easier support by software engines)

FTEQW is currently target engine.

Plot:
Sometime in the not so distant future, beneath a nameless city a secret military weapons experiment goes terribly wrong scrambling up the various time periods and dimensions.  Now the fate of the past, present and future of earth shall be decided in the ruins of this shattered reality.

Textures (original quake vs. hellsmash):
1. idbase -> Human Base and Urban textures.
2. idmetal -> Alien Starship (Illithids)
3. idmedieval -> hsmedieval WW2-era and stock castle textures.
4. idroman (okay not really id, more like hipnotic / raven) -> Hell textures (think classic doom hell meets Greek, Roman and Medieval, only with less of the cliche hell items such as heads on sticks / corpses dangling.  Think later Castlevania games.)
5. idmayan (again MP stuffs) -> from scratch Mayan textures?
6. idegypt (see above) -> from scratch Egyptian textures?

Locales:
1 - Ruined City: The starting point of the game.  A major combat zone where you may encounter friends and foes from all factions, largely due to the number of portals and access points to and from the other zones.  Also has a sewer and subway system to fight in.  (Textures: Base / Urban, Hell, Alien Starship)

2 - Military Base: Found underground, this is ground zero for the Space Time oscillation disaster.  Expect rather unusual architecture where parts are missing and replaced with bits from other time periods and places, sometimes smoothly, other times roughly.  (Textures: ALL)

3 - Alien Starship: Home of the Illithids and their Mother Brain. (Textures: Alien Starship)

4 - WW2-era european village / Castle: Cliche Nazi mad scientist in medieval castle stuffs. (Textures: Medieval)

5 - Hell: 'nuff said. (Textures: Hell, maybe some tech)

6 - Forgotten ruins: Mayan and Egyptian stuffs. (Textures: Mayan / Egypt)

Weapons:
Mighty Foot: Always availible via a quick-kick key.  Can perform the mighty "norris" kick if you move properly.

1 - Gauntlets: Multi-combo Punch, Charging Punch.

2 - Automag: Looks like a Desert Eagle with a charging plasma weapon underbarrel. (Powered by a radiological decay battery guaranteed to last approximately 75 years under any usage level) 8 round magazine, packs a punch.  Primary fires low power plasma bolts if no regular ammo is availible.  Charged bolts do double damage.  Bolts do x2 damage to enemies and objects with the mech flag.

3 - Riot Dominator: looks like a SRM1216 autoshotgun, only with a pump-action reload.  (uses retractable ballpoint pen technology to change cylinders)  Fires highly damaging single scattershots or autobursts (from 1 to 4 depending on how many rounds are left in the current cylinder.)

4 - Assault Rifle: looks like a XM-8 with a grenade launcher.  60 round magazine, API bullets for maximum armor pentetration. Fires fragmentation grenades with secondary.  (uses grenade ammo)

5 - Impact Cannon: Three or Six barreled minigun that fires explosive bullets.  Secondary fires an exploding slug that throws fragments on impact.  (you can bounce fragments around corners)  125 round belts for heavy firepower.

6 - Hand Grenade: looks like a smaller version of an old WW2 stick grenade, with hinged spikes for attaching to things and a little blinker light on the end of the handle.  Remote and proximity detonation modes only.  Does roughly x3 damage within it's blast radius.  Autoattaches to certain objects.  Proxies stick to anything, Remotes can be bounced around.  (unless you throw them at destroyable terrain, or monsters.  Then they just stick to the target.)

7 - TNT Paranoia: looks a little like EF2s Quantum Torpedo Launcher.  Fires cluster grenades.  (5 grenade ammo per shot) primary fire shoots a grenade that almost immediately breaks up into a MIRV, secondary delivers a single bomb that explodes into 4 submunitions after 3 seconds.

8 - Plasma Rifle: looks mostly unchanged from HSB3.  Twin barrel plasma gun with rapid fire, or exploding plasma sphere.  (1 cell per rapid fire (2 shots per cell), 5 cells for a plasma sphere.

9 - BFG-314: looks like the Doom Movie's BFG.  Normal fires out plasma spheres that explode in a massive sphere, secondary charges up a plasma ball that zaps stuff with lightning.

10 - Carbonizer: Odd flamethrower like weapon that turns stuff into neat easily broken statues...or severly charred bones.  Can be used to create temporary platforms across water, slime and lava.

Powerup Items:
1 - Force Belt: Gravity based item that boosts defense slightly and attempts to deflect / divert slower moving projectiles.  May also be used in overload mode as a gravity well to suck in enemies and projectiles.  (you lose the belt if you do so)

2 - Icon of Hate: Grants 30 seconds of quad and invulnerable.

3 - Fury Breaker: Grants 30 seconds of regeneration, boosted defense, allows you to put the hurt on Icon of Hate holders.

Responsive Enviroment: Use vending machines / storage lockers, eat food items, use toilets.  (This goes for female player characters as well.  Do I dare become the first to do what no other has yet dared??!?!11!)

Factions:
1 - Player
  This is you.  Finding yourself trapped in the lockerroom of fate with nothing but the gauntlets, you are to kick ass and chew bubblegum through all the various localities in your quest to restore things to their proper place by finding X parts, assembling them at y and then flipping switch z, etc, etc...

Armor:
1. Helmet - Allows extended diving without running out of air, among other things.
2. Body Armor - Protects against 30% of damage even without energy.  (Stacks with shield defense, 60%)  (May impart Jetpack?) (May Impart Autodoc?)
3. Gauntlets - Functions as a weapon, houses AIDA, Hammerspace Storage System, Personal Forcefield, Remote detonator, etc. (when shield is powered, provides 30% damage protection)
4. Boots - Protects against slime. (May impart super jump?) (May increase run speed?) (May increase swim speed?)

Slime protection only goes up to level of armor.  Boots will protect against standing in it, boots and armor protect against waist, you'll need boots, armor, helmet to dive into slime.

Skill Cards:
1 - OfficeNerd: Reduced cost when using vending machines / opening storage lockers.
2 - Postalman: 1.2x damage in first few seconds of monsters seeing you.
3 - Hax0r: Warp into cyberspace from computer terminals and pop out in brand new places!
4 - ???
5 - ???
6 - ???
7 - ???
8 - ???

Comments: Requires IQM, DP style tags.  Interchangable heads / bodies, ideally has movable torso so that shoot skating can be removed.  (Q3 Style)This is the only faction that has access to the Power Armor and the Skill Cards.

Notes on non-player factions:
Non-player factions cannot strafeshoot, the more mobile foes / NPCs should recieve unreal style scarrj rolldodges, leanshots, and shoot-duck moves though.

2 - Civilians / Military
  Survivors of the crap hitting the fan.  Sometimes friendly / neutral, othertimes hostile.  Seems like everybody's out to get their asses.

Types: (Quake equivelent listed)
1 - (Grunt) Normal: Uses fists / feet, and firearms up to assault rifle. (includes the hand grenade)
2 - (Enforcer) Heavy: Heavy Weapons dude.  Frequently uses heavy and advanced weapons.
3 - (Dog) BombRobot: Chainsaw?  Maybe some guns on a turret?
4 - (Scrag) Drone: Looks like a mini HK from The Terminator series.  Has a weak rapid blaster and flies around shooting.  Maybe carries a pair of rockets or something.

Comments: Requires IQM, DP style tags. (heads and vwep) Interchangable heads should be all that's needed.  Character design is more like what you would expect from half-life rather than quake.

3 - Alchemy Cult
  Wierdos, Hybrids (pig and sharkmen)  Found in sewers / subway and Mayan / Egypt ruins.

Types:
1 - (Grunt) Acoylte: Basically like normal type civilian / military.  Only wierder / gangter dressed.
2 - (Enforcer) Hybrid: Pig / Shark Hybrid.  Guns and melee.  Shouldn't pose a Duke3D conflict because other games have pig hybrids.  (Including games that actually pre-date DN3D)
3 - (???) Maggot: Disgusting little worm creature that squirms and hops around trying to eat you.  Weak as hell though.
4 - (Scrag) Fire Elemental: Looks like the Chthon scrag from HSB3.  Dies the same too. (can't survive long outside of lava see next entry)
5 - (Zombie) Zombie: Undead corpse motivated by Fire Elemental or Peon.  Sometimes infested with maggots.
6 - (???) Mag-Mag Tree: kinda like a wak-wak tree.  Spawns maggots and does little else. (stationary)
7 - (???) CabbageMouth: Nasty little cabbage monster that spits acid, bites, and may serve as a tentacle controller.
8 - (???) Tentacle: Whether it's a root, or a plant vine, it'll try to grab you and kill you.  Destroy it's brain.
9 - (Spawn) Blob: Sometimes big (shoggoth), sometimes small (bounces around).
10 - (???) Sand Elemental: Because the egypt theme needs some monsters.
11 - (???) Mummy: See Previous.
12 - (???) Alchemist: Runs around in monkrobes, screaming obcenities, sometimes dualwielding automags or crosspikes.  Can summon Peons / Fire Elementals.  Maybe even revive fallen foes? (Archvile)
13 - (Chthon) Lava God: More or less like Chthon.

4 - Illithids
  Planned to invade earth in the '40s, mothership hit an asteroid and crashed on the darkside of the moon.  Have been rebuilding their forces for an invasion ever since. Largly uses stolen / reverse-engineered human weapons, and psi powers.  Magic and Zombies disturbs the heck outta them.  Controlled by the Mother Brain.  (you are so gonna hellsmash this thing's brains out =P)

Types:
1 - (Ogre) Lithoid: Fat beastie that looks like an ogre with a beard of tentacles.  Wears futuristic technoknight armor.  Has no psi powers at all due to power shortages during embryo gestation prior to implantation in host creature.  Uses heavy and advanced weapons.
2 - (???) Snaker: Snakeman / Ophiuchian like creature.  Bioengineered terror weapon.  Standard Weapons.
3 - (???) Unnamed: Looks like an octabrain-cacodemon transporter accident.  Psi powers, tentacle whips, and tooth choppers.  Oh My!
4 - (???) Illithid: Full fleged monstrosity with psi powers.  May use automags.
5 - (???) Spiderdroid: Mechanical terror weapon.  (HSB3 Cybervore)
6 - (Shub) Mother Brain: Large, nasty, stationary thingie that attacks with various psi powers.

5 - Hell
  Remarkably diverse place, though the diversity can sometimes tend towards the extreme.  Got its ill-fated name from the fact that the first outside visitors ended coming in via the volcanic prison pits. Things were quite pleasant and peaceful for the denizens of this realm, until the space-time ocsillation disaster.  Horns and impressive physique are often an employment requirement in this place.

Types:
1 - (???) Peon: (See wingskull)  Indigent hell creature.  (Hell's Starlings)  Flies around and tries to ram you like 
lost souls.  Quite frequently summoned by other enemies.  Very unintelligent.
2 - (???) Spider: Ugly little bastard.  Can burrow into the ground for suprise attacks from behind.
3 - (???) Robospider: Think Arachnotron.
3 - (Scrag) Imp: Wimpy bat winged gargoyle creature.  Think Heretic Gargoyles.
4 - (Fiend) Lesser Fiend: Raptor headed armored Lizardman.  Three versions, version 1 acts like a fiend jumping, clawing, and biting you, version 2 carries standard guns, version 3 is a cyborg with shoulder mount rocket launchers / laser-monocule.  Remarkably agile.
5 - (Knight / Death Knight) Minotaur: Knight Armored bullheads.  Carry swords, lances, bows and shields + Magics.
6 - (Shambler) Megataur: Like minotaurs, only bigger.  Bigass Hammer, Magics.  Cyborg version with builtin heavy weapons.
7 - (???) DarkSorceress: Hell Leader.  Female monster.  No further information available.

6 - Nazi Mad Scientist (temporary name for group)
  The later days of WW2 necessitated...interesting R&D projects....

Types:
1 - (Grunt) Soldier: Basically like group 1's normal type.  Only with era-specific clothing.
2 - (Enforcer) RoboSoldier: Tough knight armored zombie cyborg with builtin blades, rockets, chainguns, etc.
3 - (???) The Master: Large robot designed for mass destruction.  Piloted by Zee Doktor.
4 - (???) Zee Doktor: Expert in mechanical, organic, and occult science.  Watch out.  (can summon peons, fire elementals, and maybe even worse things)
leileilol

Re: OpenSmash Project Design Doc

Post by leileilol »

I wonder how hard it is to beat Engoo into having iqms and tags in software

Don't forget FTEQW deprecated its software renderer, which is still actually quite advanced
i should not be here
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

leileilol: it shouldn't be too hard if you follow the same path I did (QF's sw renderer does iqm, even to converting the skins from RGB to paletted).

The basic design of the sw support for iqm is just to bypass the high-level alias mdl code and feed the triangles from each mesh to D_PolysetDraw().

In fact, feel free to use QF's iqm code (it's fairly self-contained). Since finding anything in QF can be a chore (generally not for me, I know QF's code like the back of my hand), here's a little "map":

Code: Select all

include/QF/iqm.h (iqm defs)
libs/models/iqm/model_iqm.c (generic iqm loader, used by all renderers)
libs/models/iqm/sw_model_iqm.c (sw specific: converts textures and triangles, makes matrix blend palette)
libs/video/renderer/r_ent.c (various entity related stuff. blending function hides here)
libs/video/renderer/r_iqm.c (generic iqm support: frame blending and stuff)
libs/video/renderer/sw/sw_riqm.c (sw specific iqm rendering: feeds transformed triangles to the alias triangle renderer)
I think that's everything. Certainly the most important stuff. Anything to do with model loading and generic manipulation (eg, skins) is in libs/models, and anything to do with render-time stuff is in libs/video/renderer, with shared code at that level, and renderer (gl/glsl/sw/sw32) specific stuff in sub-dirs from there.

Note that things like r_funcs, m_funcs, r_data are for the renderer plugins. for the most part, the symbol names were copied as-is into the structs.

One thing to note: even on my desktop, iqm rendering is sw is... ouch. Mind you, that was with Mr Fixit with his default skins at their default sizes (but converted to 8 bits at load-time). Scaling the textures appropriately might help (the gl renderer seemed to handle the sw matrix blending ok (glsl does it on the card :))).
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
qbism

Post by qbism »

I like that this is single-player, and the idea of civilians as more than scenery/ fodder.

Does IQM support tags?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

qbism wrote:Does IQM support tags?
No, but generally Darkplaces supports attachments to bones with the same QC tag functions
taniwha wrote:One thing to note: even on my desktop, iqm rendering is sw is... ouch. Mind you, that was with Mr Fixit with his default skins at their default sizes (but converted to 8 bits at load-time). Scaling the textures appropriately might help (the gl renderer seemed to handle the sw matrix blending ok (glsl does it on the card :))).
LOL, was he testing it woth 2048x1024 skins?
If I utilized IQM i'd have it load paletted PCX files if available, with 3dfx friendly sizes of 256x128
Also does it support multiple surfaces?

Also bruteforcing IQMs through the polydraw code could have a similar application to Q3BSP, maybe... </brainfart>
i should not be here
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

1024x1024 for the body and 512x512 for the head.
Also bruteforcing IQMs through the polydraw code could have a similar application to Q3BSP, maybe... </brainfart>
I prefer to think of it as "finessing" :). Other than having to calc vertex transforms on the fly, it was a very natural fit. And really, if you're not worried about QC control (ie, use only canned animations), they can be cached.

As for Q3BSP... uh? Wouldn't they take a different path? (mind you, I'm sure a similar concept could be applied: massage the data into something the renderer expects rather than bashing the renderer into shape for the data).
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

taniwha wrote:As for Q3BSP... uh? Wouldn't they take a different path? (mind you, I'm sure a similar concept could be applied: massage the data into something the renderer expects rather than bashing the renderer into shape for the data).
Yeah, and there's the thing about splitting chunks of the map for vis/pvs and lighting it with vertex lighting. I'm sure the required Warsow Q3BSP is possible to hack into the software renderer in a similar fashion, even if it will look like a bit Playstationy with the lack of perspective correction for offscreen vertices.

MAYBE even a idtech3 softw...ok i'll stop there, getting way too offtopic I think.
i should not be here
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

leileilol wrote: MAYBE even a idtech3 softw...ok i'll stop there, getting way too offtopic I think.
Don't worry about it, part of the reason for posting the design doc is to encourage discussion about neat stuff like that.

As for Warsow BSP...now that I think about it, one of the primary reasons for Warsow BSP is to enable custom hull sizes. (Though I must admit, each texture being allowed it's own palette, and other freaky cool things is somewhat seductive from a development standpoint) Doesn't Hexen 2 BSP allow more hulls? Anybody have more detailed specs on what you can and can't do with H2BSP vs. Warsow BSP? (IIRC, FTEQW also supports H2BSP)
Spike

Post by Spike »

the issue with using model rendering code for bsp objects is that you'll need to render lightmaps too. if you can precompute those, good for you.
you can convert-on-load an iqm to mdl format if you really want, just like fte's software renderer did with md3, but you'll loose support for bones, and I recommend you extend the precision... If you also retain the animation data, you can use it for attachment support, though there'll be a lot of bones which are simply not useful as tags. That said, if you're retaining all of the animation data anyway, it should be as easy to transform the verts as it is to interpolate the verts, just slightly higher cpu usage but no higher than would be needed for glsl-less iqm.

hexen2 bsps use 6 hulls (space for 8)
0 0 0 0 0 0
-16 -16 -24 16 16 32
-24 -24 -20 24 24 20
-16 -16 -12 16 16 16
-8 -8 -8 8 8 8
-48 -48 -50 48 48 50

q2+ bsps support any size collisions. textures are all external.
q3 bsps provide support for triangle soup for correctly lit static meshes etc, but removes support for lightstyles (and good luck with software rendering). q3map2 provides more realistic lighting routines too.
rbsp re-adds support for lightstyles by using 4 lightmaps and scaling them by the lightstyle value on the gpu (mh was toying with this style of lightmap rendering on q1bsp).
fbsp just adds higher-res lightmaps.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Okay, so basically the options are:

1. H2BSP = Theoretically very easy to add support for due to largely being based on Q1BSP. FTEQW supports this format.
2. Q2BSP = More difficult to add, but probably still doable. Superior to H2BSP. Don't know of any other engines aside from FTEQW that support it.
3. FBSP = Extremely difficult to impossible for software support. DP and FTEQW support this format.

I tried loading up some sample maps of H2BSP and Q2BSP. So far, all roads seem to be leading back to Q2BSP as being the best compromise of the three.

The only problem is that for some reason Q2BSP is not working properly in FTEQW, everything loads up properly and the maps look beautiful, but the player falls through the floor! (items and rockets fired against map geometry seem to work right though.)

I even tried making a quick box testmap with GTKRadiant, same thing happens. (stock id1 progs.dat) Is there some cvar or something that I need to turn on?
Spike

Post by Spike »

o.O
q2bsp is basically the same collision code as q3, just without patches. brushes are all the same code.
I'll be sure to check that tomorrow, all I can suggest in the mean time is that maybe sv_nomsec 1 can work around it by using different physics (although not collisions). that's a temporary hack-fix only, of course.
I've no idea why the same code would work for q2+q2bsp and qc+q3bsp but not qc+q2bsp. tomorrow is gonna be 'one of those days'. :P
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Spike wrote:o.O
q2bsp is basically the same collision code as q3, just without patches. brushes are all the same code.
I'll be sure to check that tomorrow, all I can suggest in the mean time is that maybe sv_nomsec 1 can work around it by using different physics (although not collisions). that's a temporary hack-fix only, of course.
I've no idea why the same code would work for q2+q2bsp and qc+q3bsp but not qc+q2bsp. tomorrow is gonna be 'one of those days'. :P
sv_nomsec 1 seems to work. Also, probably not related, but noticed two other oddities:

1. If I start FTEQW and load a q1bsp then load a q2bsp liquid textures are scaled properly. If I start FTEQW and load a q2bsp the liquid textures are shrunk massively, and if I load a q1bsp afterwards the liquid textures are also shrunk.

2. Water warps and screen tint in water doesn't appear to work in q2bsp?
Spike

Post by Spike »

nomsec 0 should work now. turned out to be a missing model size value. any entity other than world would have been culled too. should now be fixed.

shrunk massively? o.O
I can't reproduce that myself, neither with nor without glsl.
so...
Are you using .wal files for your water, or just directly using a .tga (or other 24bit file)?
if I recall correctly, the surfaces specify texture coords, and texture sizes is in the wal (in order to generate 0-1 scale). If the qbsp and engine disagree on the size to use when there's no .wal file then you'll get messed up texture scales (and this is quite likely in all honesty). The solution is to stay true to q2 and always make .wal files available, even if the image inside is replaced.
What I don't understand is how that could affect q1 bsps with the same texture name.

transparent water surface textures don't warp, that's a known issue that I couldn't think of a clean fix for at the time. The shader system should make that a little easier to do now.
The missing underwater screen warp I hadn't noticed, its probably just not setting the contents flags.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Spike wrote:nomsec 0 should work now. turned out to be a missing model size value. any entity other than world would have been culled too. should now be fixed.
Downloaded and tried the fresh SVN. Fixes the q2bsp falling through floors problem, but now I have some wierd new problems. See below.
Spike wrote: shrunk massively? o.O
I can't reproduce that myself, neither with nor without glsl.
so...
Are you using .wal files for your water, or just directly using a .tga (or other 24bit file)?
if I recall correctly, the surfaces specify texture coords, and texture sizes is in the wal (in order to generate 0-1 scale). If the qbsp and engine disagree on the size to use when there's no .wal file then you'll get messed up texture scales (and this is quite likely in all honesty). The solution is to stay true to q2 and always make .wal files available, even if the image inside is replaced.
What I don't understand is how that could affect q1 bsps with the same texture name.
For testing I extracted the original .wal files from my quake2 pak files, so there shouldn't be any problems there.

In addition to the texture problem from before, now I'm having some wierd palette thing happening when I pick up items / dive into water. If I change the waterwarp setting, it fixes the wierd palette screentint issue, but the liquid textures go all wonky, and the problem comes right back again upon exiting, then starting FTEQW again.

Here are some screenshots I took of the problems I'm now having with the updated SVN:

http://br0gspot.files.wordpress.com/201 ... arbled.jpg
This shows the texture problem.

http://br0gspot.files.wordpress.com/201 ... iquids.jpg
This shows what it should look like.

http://br0gspot.files.wordpress.com/201 ... nt_o_o.jpg
This shows the wierd screentint palette issue.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Isn't that green/yellow/red texture supposed to be the waterwarp fragment shader effect? It's like the water texture shader and screen warp shader are conflicting up somewhere.
i should not be here