OpenSmash Project Design Doc

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: OpenSmash Project Design Doc

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

leileilol wrote:Isn't that green/yellow/red texture supposed to be the waterwarp fragment shader effect? It's like the water texture shader and screen warp shader are conflicting up somewhere.
Dunno. Tried this on my alternate laptop with a supposedly inferior GPU, no problem. I'll just use the one for model / art asset creation, and the rest of the development on the alternate laptop.

Anyway, Q2BSP format is a go. It's actually rather cool to be able to quickly compare BSP formats, I've never actually appreciated just HOW nasty Q1BSP's lighting can be until I compared it with Q2BSP's lighting.
Spike

Post by Spike »

I've tweaked the under/surface warp slightly to be more robust. This won't affect the scaling of it though.
I can see only one possible way for that weird colours quad, and that requires drivers which don't follow glsl specs properly where errors are concerned. The error in my code is fixed so should now use slightly better tested pathways through your drivers so will hopefully work properly now, but no guarentees.

lighting-wise, q1 vs q2 comparisons are mostly down to the tools rather than the formats.
I'm sure someone could fairly easily write a radiance tool for q1 bsps also (using .lit support), I'm just not aware of any real public version of one though I am sure there have been such efforts in the past.
q3map2 probably has even nicer lighting though, but this requires q3bsp/rbsp/fbsp so would be noticably harder for software renderers to implement. To be fair, its enough work for gl-only q1 engines too, such that widespread support is unlikely with either q3bsp or q2bsp regardless of whether its a software engine or not - especially if your mod has other dependancies/requirements also.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Spike wrote:I've tweaked the under/surface warp slightly to be more robust. This won't affect the scaling of it though.
I can see only one possible way for that weird colours quad, and that requires drivers which don't follow glsl specs properly where errors are concerned. The error in my code is fixed so should now use slightly better tested pathways through your drivers so will hopefully work properly now, but no guarentees.
Okay, waterwarp / underwater screentint / underwater caustic shader is working perfectly. (and looks absolutely beautiful I might add)

As for the wierd colors, I looked around and found some drivers to try, (didn't actually expect them to work straight out of the installer, which was a pleasant surprise) which seems to fix all the problems completely, aside from the engine complaining about a vertex shader not being supported by the hardware. (which is wierd as this GPU is supposed to support them.)

In short, all is now right in the world. :D
Spike wrote: lighting-wise, q1 vs q2 comparisons are mostly down to the tools rather than the formats.
I'm sure someone could fairly easily write a radiance tool for q1 bsps also (using .lit support), I'm just not aware of any real public version of one though I am sure there have been such efforts in the past.
q3map2 probably has even nicer lighting though, but this requires q3bsp/rbsp/fbsp so would be noticably harder for software renderers to implement.
Dunno about radiance tools for q1 bsps, you would think that if they worked, func_msgboard would have heard about and p1mped it already.
Spike wrote: To be fair, its enough work for gl-only q1 engines too, such that widespread support is unlikely with either q3bsp or q2bsp regardless of whether its a software engine or not - especially if your mod has other dependancies/requirements also.
True enough, though I would prefer to make the dangling fruit be more reachable, rather than be totally out of reach. (and thus further motivate more engine programmers to lift their engines out of the stone age of engine features) Besides, how many open source freeware projects are there that are as ambitious and oldskool (singleplayer focused, Whee!) as this one is? :wink:
Spike

Post by Spike »

lol, fair enough.

glad to hear stuff is working.