Anyone here wants to make commercial DP game ?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
motorsep

Anyone here wants to make commercial DP game ?

Post by motorsep »

While I have moved to idTech 4 from DP for the current project, I still have a ideas for DP based commercial game projects. Kot-in-Action has a bigger picture behind all commercial projects using DP or idTech 4, so it's a good chance for a small team to break through into a fully fledged independent studio with zero initial investment.

Therefore I am wondering if there is a team or individuals in this community who would like to make commercial game using Darkplaces engine, possess required skills and will power to go through with a small project, and have time to do it.

If such people exist, please step forward and we can talk about the details (I can post requirements here where there is an interest).

A word of encouragement - don't underestimate your skill level. There are pretty weird and weak games coming out everyday, and yet they sell. So if you can code, if you can put levels together, we can make that game happen and keep growing from that point.
ceriux

Re: Anyone here wants to make commercial DP game ?

Post by ceriux »

you should discuss more of what you're ideas are. so the people you're trying to reach know what they're investing time into.

maybe start sending pm's to people who you might be interested in recruiting.
r00k

Post by r00k »

I'm a QuakeC coder, but my weak areas are in monster IA. I could contribute pro-bono for any task that's focused on a single area.
Like user interface logic, client/server code, gameplay logic (weapons, effects, cinematic cameras. etc ).
I have recreated several multiplayer mods so i can work with a team , (which usually was me an the rest of those playing the mod)...

I'm just interested in the whole aspect of game development and would help any way i could.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

The issue is that I don't know who is capable of what in the community (I do know several people, and I know their skill level; however due to various reasons they can't participate or already engage in something else). This is an idea of sort of an incubator for aspiring developers who know the tech and understand that they don't have to use UDK to break into the commercial development.

The basic idea is top down (a bit on the iso side so to speak) game, sp/coop (4 players), either point'n'click or directional movement like Steel Storm or another control scheme, inventory, objectives. I'd describe it as goal oriented action adventure game. Quake's QuakeC is a must as base code. Some csqc (mostly drawing GUI and effects), menu qc code. DPM models, q3bsp maps. 6 month timeframe (short game, episodic content, maybe 4 - 6 hours of singleplayer gameplay).

Kot-in-Action will publish it on Steam, generous profit share for the team. This isn't for Kot-in-Action per se, this is a potential ticket to fully fledged full time game development business in the nearest future for the new team. In other words, if you think "eh, I'll help them", it would work. It has to be "I want to make it happen for me, for my future". Think of it as royalty based business of game development with Kot-in-Action, where you will get bigger profit share. An opportunity to learn commercial game development and get paid at the end.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

r00k wrote:I'm a QuakeC coder, but my weak areas are in monster IA. I could contribute pro-bono for any task that's focused on a single area.
Like user interface logic, client/server code, gameplay logic (weapons, effects, cinematic cameras. etc ).
I have recreated several multiplayer mods so i can work with a team , (which usually was me an the rest of those playing the mod)...

I'm just interested in the whole aspect of game development and would help any way i could.
Cool stuff. Quake already has AI, just need to organize it into Hierarchical FSM. Pathfinding is lacking in Quake/DP, but that's not important for this particular project. I would urge not to mess too much with client/server code either, specifically for player (csqc prediction, etc.), as we simply need to reduce bandwidth usage.

Do you have something to show for GUIs, menu, effects and camera cinematics ?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I am in a similar situation to rook: I have a good grasp of QuakeC (and my preferred area *is* AI), but I can help with some basic mapping/low poly modelling.
I'd like to know more about this project, if you prefer to discuss it privately PM me for my e-mail.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
r00k

Post by r00k »

motorsep wrote:The issue is that I don't know who is capable of what in the community (I do know several people, and I know their skill level; however due to various reasons they can't participate or already engage in something else). This is an idea of sort of an incubator for aspiring developers who know the tech and understand that they don't have to use UDK to break into the commercial development.

The basic idea is top down (a bit on the iso side so to speak) game, sp/coop (4 players), either point'n'click or directional movement like Steel Storm or another control scheme, inventory, objectives. I'd describe it as goal oriented action adventure game. Quake's QuakeC is a must as base code. Some csqc (mostly drawing GUI and effects), menu qc code. DPM models, q3bsp maps. 6 month timeframe (short game, episodic content, maybe 4 - 6 hours of singleplayer gameplay).

Kot-in-Action will publish it on Steam, generous profit share for the team. This isn't for Kot-in-Action per se, this is a potential ticket to fully fledged full time game development business in the nearest future for the new team. In other words, if you think "eh, I'll help them", it would work. It has to be "I want to make it happen for me, for my future". Think of it as royalty based business of game development with Kot-in-Action, where you will get bigger profit share. An opportunity to learn commercial game development and get paid at the end.
Ever play Gateway to Apshai? Image
that would be a fun remake.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Nah, haven't played it.