QuakeForge 0.7.2 released.

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
taniwha

QuakeForge 0.7.2 released.

Post by taniwha »

QuakeForge 0.7.2 has been released.

0.7.1 turned out to be a bit of a train wreck. I apologize for the inconvenience. 0.7.2 is primarily a bug-fix release, but there are two rather significant new features:

Highlights:
  • 64-bit windows target now supported (though untested).
  • QF no longer mangles other engines' config files on windows
  • Critical bug with incorrect key_dest fixed. (fixed in 0.7.1a)
  • Critical bug incorrect handling of progs code fixed (windows builds)
  • Alignment bug loading wav files fixed (affects only mips)
  • Id style (r_particles_style 0) particle explosions fixed (windows)

For more details, see NEWS.
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
szo

Re: QuakeForge 0.7.2 released.

Post by szo »

One thing you should be careful about after adding w64 support is the
socket types and the relevant return codes: socket() returns SOCKET
type which is actually an uintptr_t, however the quake code assumes
signed int32 everywhere which does work for w32 but not necessarily
for w64. My solution to this mess was adding a sys_socket_t type and
several macros in uhexen2 and in quakespasm as an additional mess.
See my net_sys.h:
http://uhexen2.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... iew=markup

BTW, you still seem to be supporting svgalib: hail to all dinosours
like me out there:) There are a few gotchas in it though, I remember
that I sent some patches to you but can't find the original mail. If
you are interested, see uhexen2 svn revs. 4510, 4513 and 4514.
sock

Post by sock »

I think you should keep all of the QF release threads together, otherwise you are going to swamp this forum with new topics and lose feedback between different threads. Also if you want me to test without doing a big point release, then PM.

* Downloaded the 32bit client for windows
* Still confusing the website, I would prefer graphical buttons, a wall of text is difficult to see especially if you browse with 1920x1080 screen resolutions.
* Engine still missing a graphical icon, default is terrible and easy to lose in a list of directory items. This is a big thing on windows platforms.
* The menu being split into separate files is just annoying, I can't understand why you are doing this.
* Moved the engine to the root of my quake directory, started engine, missing menus :?
* Moved the menu files (menu.dat.gz, menu.plist) to ID1 directory, start engine, plays demos
* Menu now active, still got crazy tiny window. Can't resize window by edge of window.
* Go to the video menu and no option to set size of window, only full screen which does not work
* Try console commands for changing video mode, nothing works, try adding to shortcut, still no difference.
* setup shortcut for my MOD with command line parameter (-heapsize 64000 -game shadows)
* start engine, no menu and tiny window.
* Move menu files to the MOD directory and start engine, press escape for menu, fatal error 'bad con_keydest'
* Start engine again and press console key first and then press escape, got a menu!
* Start a new game with the start menu and spawn facing 0 angle, should be 45 angle.
* Difficult to do anymore tests because the window is too tiny

Things that are frustrating
* Lack of video controls, why are all the video modes removed on the menu?
* Full screen still produces an error on the console. The option of full or tiny window is not enough.
* Video console commands don't seem to do anything (vid_width, vid_height, vid_restart, vid_fullscreen)
* Put the menu files inside of the exe. Why would anyone want them separate? What feature is this?

Things that should be features
* Graphical icons for engine exe so it is easier to see where it is in the directory
* readme file with instructions of what to do, still guessing and sort of know from last time (not good for someone new)
* Why include a second large QW client? This download file is larger than the whole of the shareware game!

Unfortunately there is not much I can do without a large window to see what I am doing.
Also config file is still working for other engines which is awesome! :)
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

Sock: thanks for the feedback. For 0.7.2 I took care of the actual show-stopper bugs (and threw in 64-bit building as it's just a couple of scripts and a bunch of warnings fixes). Also, releases are usually several months apart, thus I do separate threads. However, yeah, I should have just appended to the 0.7.1 release thread.

First, I will not dispute that this is very use-unfriendly, but...

Code: Select all

wine ./nq-sdl.exe +set vid_render glsl +set vid_width 1920 +set vid_height 1080 +set vid_fullscreen 1 +set con_width 640 +set con_height 360
will get you a nice 3d resolution with a very readable 2d resolution (adjust numbers as suited, the con width/height is exactly 1/3 the resolution in the above example). And yes, I've been doing my testing in wine (which is why 64-bit is untested: I need to mess around to get wine64 going).

Ok... "features"
  • Icons: I found a few nice icons zixthree did back in 2005 in the repository. I have absolutely no clue what to do with them. You can find them in the source zip in include/win32/resources (there's a scruffy 16x16 one in doc, too).
  • Readme: yes, I agree. A must. Again, I wanted to get the critical fixes out ASAP.
  • Big download: the exes are unstripped at the moment, which adds about 2MB to the size for nq-sdl.exe and 10MB for qw-client-sdl (ouch!). They'll be stripped next time! I didn't realize they were so big. (qw-client-sdl.exe is almost as big as my full quake install (I rebuilt the pak files such that the internal files are all gzipped: 8.1M for pak0.pak and 15M for pak1.pak)
"frustrations"
  • Lack of video controls. This is actually a very ancient "bug". I don't remember the details as I had little to do with the video stuff back then (all I did was get fullscreen working at all in X-Windows), but as most development was GL based, vid-resize wasn't supported then, or so my very fuzzy memory goes.
  • Fullscreen not working. Yeah, SDL sucks. To do fullscreen toggle in sdl on windows, it looks like I'll have to implement full video restart (reupload textures, vbos, shaders... for gl). I suspect it will be easier to get -wgl working* :P. However, you can start qf in fullscreen, but then can't leave it :(.
  • video cvars not doing anything. Yup, they're read-only for the above reason. I want it fixed, too.
  • Menu files: the feature is easy customization. A mod could supply its own menu.dat/menu.plist (or even do away with menu.plist).
(* Actually, it will probably be -win because QF now has both sw and gl renderers in the one exe).

While moving the menu files into id1 works, the idea is you move the whole QF directory into your quake root directory (yes, this is README material).

I'm not sure what's going on with the start angle. I've noticed that too in id's start.bsp, though it's slightly different: you start facing the right direction, but bump the mouse and you suddenly turn 90 degrees to the right (ie, instead of facing the normal teleporter, you face the wall in the ep4 direction). After that, mouse input is normal.

No -heapsize in QF. Use +set host_mem_size <MB>, but it defaults to 40. I guess 40MB is enough :) (however, I think I'll up it to 64 and be done with it). BTW, at one stage in my testing a couple years back, I had to set it to 128 just for demo1 to run: I was playing with 192kHz sound (the max my "sound card" will do (edirol fa-101)).

And don't worry, I'm taking notes! It seems all I really need to do to make you "happy" is fix the video issues, figure out what to do with the icons, and write a good README (but will anybody read it? I guess you will).

As for the website: that's actually a deliberate design decision: it's designed to be usable even in non-graphical browsers (yes, many still use them), though I agree the text can be a little bewildering. While I'll mention it to Deek (it's his design and I'm no web designer), it might be good if you hop into #quakeforge on irc.oftc.net and harass him. He's not often "there", but he always checks his scroll-back. I sometimes get a reply several days after I say something :P.
sock

Post by sock »

write a good README (but will anybody read it? I guess you will)
That is the first thing anyone will look at when downloading this zip file, this engine should cater for new people as well.

So I added the following to the command line (this many parameters is plain crazy btw)
+set vid_render glsl +set vid_width 1920 +set vid_height 1080 +set vid_fullscreen 1 +set con_width 640 +set con_height 360
The screen flashed a couple of times and then gave me a fatal error (also minimized and hidden on the task bar)
Fatal Error - Couldn't load critical OpenGL function glActiveTexture, exiting...
I've been doing my testing in wine
This is an emulator not the real thing! :) I can test win32/64, just send me a new exe.
Icons: I found a few nice icons zixthree did back in 2005 in the repository. I have absolutely no clue what to do with them. You can find them in the source zip in include/win32/resources (there's a scruffy 16x16 one in doc, too).
This is something you define with the compiler when creating the exe.

OMG are you saying 'qw-client-sdl' is a full copy of the shareware!?! This should be a separate download!
To do fullscreen toggle in sdl on windows, it looks like I'll have to implement full video restart
This is what most of the other engines do, screen flashes a couple of times and everything is reloaded once the new mode is setup. Changing this is something that only happens at the beginning when the engine is loaded the majority of the time. The engine should be reading the config file and testing the screen sizes specified there.
Menu files: the feature is easy customization. A mod could supply its own menu.dat/menu.plist (or even do away with menu.plist).
Not seen any MOD do this and all the menu stuff is graphical images which begs the question again, why allow this change?
Use +set host_mem_size <MB>, but it defaults to 40. I guess 40MB is enough :) (however, I think I'll up it to 64 and be done with it)
I would highly recommend adding heapsize, lots of mods (released at func) support this command and it is frustrating having to add extra commands that different engines don't understand. Also default of 64Mb is perfect for modern machines.
As for the website: that's actually a deliberate design decision
I can understand this is a design decision but this is the year 2013, most people use/like graphics. Large walls of text is like something from the 1990s. There is a good design reason why most websites have graphics, they are easier to use and follow. Large areas of websites can be highlighted with function much easier than hyper linked text. I can understand not being interested in flash stuff but basic HTML with graphics is sort of a standard nowadays.
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

write a good README (but will anybody read it? I guess you will)
That is the first thing anyone will look at when downloading this zip file, this engine should cater for new people as well.
I've encountered too many people that just will not read the docs, that's all.
So I added the following to the command line (this many parameters is plain crazy btw)
+set vid_render glsl +set vid_width 1920 +set vid_height 1080 +set vid_fullscreen 1 +set con_width 640 +set con_height 360
The screen flashed a couple of times and then gave me a fatal error (also minimized and hidden on the task bar)
Fatal Error - Couldn't load critical OpenGL function glActiveTexture, exiting...
Ah, oops, sorry. I forgot to remove the vid_render set. Well, that answers that question: no, my glsl stuff does not work on your system. I suspect that would be due to creating a normal gl context but trying to do everything as EGL (I need to fix that anyway). Solution: remove the +set vid_render glsl (or just change the glsl to gl). Shame, you won't see the waterwarping walls.
I've been doing my testing in wine
This is an emulator not the real thing! :) I can test win32/64, just send me a new exe.
Yeah, wine very much is not the real thing, so it's not good for catching system specific stuff. It is good for catching more general issues, though (eg, that progs error, testing the home-dir stuff).
Icons: I found a few nice icons zixthree did back in 2005 in the repository. I have absolutely no clue what to do with them. You can find them in the source zip in include/win32/resources (there's a scruffy 16x16 one in doc, too).
This is something you define with the compiler when creating the exe.
Yeah, google and thee shall find thy answer: windres and I've even found some info on getting it to work with automake.
OMG are you saying 'qw-client-sdl' is a full copy of the shareware!?! This should be a separate download!
Oh, gee, no. Debug info. Yes, qw-client-sdl has 10MB of debug info. Only reason I can think of is libcurl.
This is what most of the other engines do, screen flashes a couple of times and everything is reloaded once the new mode is setup. Changing this is something that only happens at the beginning when the engine is loaded the majority of the time. The engine should be reading the config file and testing the screen sizes specified there.
The issue is I expect it to be a lot of work, and my energy levels are limited (yay 5am-11am job, then up till around 10pm). My point was only that I expect it will take quite some time and thus why I didn't do anything for this release.
Menu files: the feature is easy customization. A mod could supply its own menu.dat/menu.plist (or even do away with menu.plist).
Not seen any MOD do this and all the menu stuff is graphical images which begs the question again, why allow this change?
Try taking a look at the main menu in both qw-client-sdl and nq-sdl }:>
Use +set host_mem_size <MB>, but it defaults to 40. I guess 40MB is enough :) (however, I think I'll up it to 64 and be done with it)
I would highly recommend adding heapsize, lots of mods (released at func) support this command and it is frustrating having to add extra commands that different engines don't understand. Also default of 64Mb is perfect for modern machines.
-heapsize got removed many years ago (2001) in favor of -mem. I think because it was windows/dos only, and worse, in kB rather than the much more useful MB. -mem is still there (I'd forgotten about it thus didn't mention it).

BTW, there is a reason for all those +set command line options: they're the final override. Assuming QF wrote it's stuff to .../Local Settings/Application Data/quakeforge, QF will read .../Application Data/quakeforge.conf and then .../Application Data/quakeforgerc (QF now writes stuff to ~/quakeforge/id1 rather than ./id1). Both config files are fully optional. Settings in quakeforgerc override those in quakeforge.conf, and settings on the command line override those in both config files. Here's a cleaned up version of my ~/.quakeforgrc (*nix systems use a leading . to hide files):

set vid_render glsl
set snd_render jack
setrom vid_system_gamma 0
setrom vid_gamma 1
set wildmidi_config /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg

set host_mem_size 128
set cl_mem_size 64
set sv_mem_size 64

set sv_use_curses 1
set sv_aim 1
setrom m_pitch -0.022

set vid_aspect 16:9
set vid_width 1920
set vid_height 1080
set con_width 640
set con_height 360

set in_key_toggleconsole K_ZENKAKU_HANKAKU
//xorg's dga is currently borked
setrom in_dga 0
set pr_debug 2
set pr_source_path "ruamoko/d.o/ruamoko/cl_menu;src"
This stuff is documented. Hmm, I need to update the docs to reflect the new ~ expansion for windows. Anyway, QF has the aim of making every option a cvar, even if read-only.
As for the website: that's actually a deliberate design decision
I can understand this is a design decision but this is the year 2013, most people use/like graphics. Large walls of text is like something from the 1990s. There is a good design reason why most websites have graphics, they are easier to use and follow. Large areas of websites can be highlighted with function much easier than hyper linked text. I can understand not being interested in flash stuff but basic HTML with graphics is sort of a standard nowadays.
Well, I've dropped a message to Deek, we'll see what happens. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have much time lately.

Sock: I truly appreciate your feedback and patience. This really is a big help. QuakeForge was once the most popular client (or seemed to be, anyway), until we "lost" our windows coder. I'd like it to become popular again. Thank you.
sock

Post by sock »

I forgot to remove the vid_render set.
I removed the set command and switched my resolution down to 1680x1050 and now get full screen for the engine but I get <1fps and it is just a slide show. Typing at the console there is a constant delay, loading any map takes forever. The console complains about variables being read-only. I added ' +set vid_render gl' to see if it makes any difference and still get a slideshow. I even loaded my test box map and that was same, not usable. Not exactly sure why this is happening because (Fitz, MarkV, Super8, RMQ, QSpasm) other engines work fine. From my non-technical programmer POV it feels like the engine is running in pure software render mode and not using any acceleration of video drivers. I even tried to switch the resolution down to see if makes any difference and the lower resolution does speed things up but it is still not useable.

I still can't work out where you are suppose to put the menu files, I tried creating a QF directory off the directory where the engine is and it does not load it. Seriously I don't have the ability of telepathy, could you specify exactly what the directory structure has to be? (sorry really frustrated with this)
I've encountered too many people that just will not read the docs, that's all.
Yes I do agree with this but not having a readme file to fall back on when things go wrong is damn annoying. There is no installation instructions on the website and none in the file. You wrote the system so you know where everything is suppose to go, I am just guessing!
Well, I've dropped a message to Deek, we'll see what happens. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have much time lately.
Honestly it is fine, you don't have to change anything. I am simply offering my opinion that is all. If more people find the website difficult then maybe it might be worth considering. I would take the comments about the website as POV feedback only.
revelator

Post by revelator »

if you need code for making an iconized exe via makefiles i c an provide that :) its very easy.

in makefile.in drop something like this

vpath %.rc @top_builddir@res //resource file for the icon *.rc
resdir = @top_builddir@res // where its placed in the source

and the build rule

# Rule to make compiled resource (Windows)
%-rc.o: %.rc
windres --include-dir $(resdir) -i $< -o $@

repeat the above in the makefile.in for all exe's you want to have an icon

and heres an example rc resource file "from my realm engine" most msvc resource types work fine with windres ;)

// Microsoft Visual C++ generated resource script.
//
#include "resource.h"

#define APSTUDIO_READONLY_SYMBOLS
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// Generated from the TEXTINCLUDE 2 resource.
//
#include "afxres.h"

#undef APSTUDIO_READONLY_SYMBOLS

// English (U.S.) resources

#if !defined(AFX_RESOURCE_DLL) || defined(AFX_TARG_ENU)
#if defined(_WIN32)
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
#pragma code_page(1252)
#endif //_WIN32

#ifdef APSTUDIO_INVOKED
//
// TEXTINCLUDE
//

1 TEXTINCLUDE
BEGIN
"resource.h\0"
END

2 TEXTINCLUDE
BEGIN
"#include ""afxres.h""\r\n"
"\0"
END

3 TEXTINCLUDE
BEGIN
"\r\n"
"\0"
END

#endif // APSTUDIO_INVOKED

//
// Icon
//

// Icon with lowest ID value placed first to ensure application icon
// remains consistent on all systems.
IDI_ICON2 ICON "Realm.ico"

//
// Dialog
//

IDD_DIALOG1 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 113, 35
STYLE DS_SETFONT | DS_SETFOREGROUND | DS_3DLOOK | DS_CENTER | WS_POPUP |
WS_BORDER
EXSTYLE WS_EX_TOPMOST
FONT 10, "Arial", 400, 0, 0x0
BEGIN
CONTROL 111,IDC_STATIC,"Static",SS_BITMAP,0,0,113,35
END

IDD_PROGRESS DIALOGEX 0, 0, 333, 45
STYLE DS_SETFONT | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_SETFOREGROUND | DS_3DLOOK | DS_CENTER |
WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE
EXSTYLE WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW | WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE
FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif", 0, 0, 0x1
BEGIN
LTEXT "Creating 15 bit inverse palette. This is only done once, so just be patient for the next 30-60 seconds.",
IDC_STATIC,7,19,319,10
CONTROL "Progress1",IDC_PROGRESS,"msctls_progress32",0x0,7,29,
LTEXT "Starting Quake...",IDC_STATIC,7,4,54,8
END

//
// DESIGNINFO
//

#ifdef APSTUDIO_INVOKED
GUIDELINES DESIGNINFO
BEGIN
IDD_DIALOG1, DIALOG
BEGIN
TOPMARGIN, 6
HORZGUIDE, 6
HORZGUIDE, 28
HORZGUIDE, 29
END
END
#endif // APSTUDIO_INVOKED

//
// String Table
//

STRINGTABLE
BEGIN
IDS_STRING1 "WinQuake"
END

#endif // English (U.S.) resources

// English (Ireland) resources

#if !defined(AFX_RESOURCE_DLL) || defined(AFX_TARG_ENI)
#if defined(_WIN32)
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_EIRE
#pragma code_page(1252)
#endif //_WIN32

//
// Bitmap
//

IDB_BITMAP1 BITMAP "splash256.bmp"
IDB_BITMAP2 BITMAP "Res\\particlefont.bmp"
IDB_BITMAP3 BITMAP "Res\\crosshairfont.bmp"
IDB_BITMAP4 BITMAP "Res\\watercaustic.bmp"
IDB_BITMAP6 BITMAP "Res\\alphaskytexture.bmp"
IDB_BITMAP7 BITMAP "Res\\solidskytexture.bmp"
#endif // English (Ireland) resources

#ifndef APSTUDIO_INVOKED
//
// Generated from the TEXTINCLUDE 3 resource.
//

#endif // not APSTUDIO_INVOKED

now include the compiled object from the above makefile.in rule to all the other objects and viola you now have an icon on the beats :)
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Post by revelator »

mh

Post by mh »

My experience is that people don't read readmes. You could write "I am a fish" in one over and over and nobody would know. The perfect place to store your confidential info is in a file named "readme", actually. Joke.

I personally wouldn't bother with a Win64 build. 64-bit Windows will run a 32-bit program perfectly fine (so long as it contains no 16-bit code; aside from that it's even happy with asm in a 32-bit program) and it's not as if Quake actually needs the extra address space that a 64-bit build would offer. So just providing a 32-bit Windows build is actually quite sufficient.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

reckless: heh, that stackoverflow is exactly the one I found, but thank you for your examples. They'll save me some head scratching :)

One thing though: wouldn't
vpath %.rc @top_builddir@res //resource file for the icon *.rc
be better as

vpath %.rc $(resdir) //resource file for the icon *.rc
(less duplicate code)

mh: very true that win64 binaries are pretty redundant, but they've already improved QF's portability (I had to revisit intptr_t, printf with stdint types, and handle alloca detection correctly). I think it takes me longer to respond to Sock's posts :P (QF has been 64-bit ready since 2005 when I got my first 64-bit machine).

Sock: hmm. Your low fps makes me wonder if SDL is messing up its fullscreening. Try a lower res? However, a 64-bit machine should have a card with enough grunt to run QF at full speed at 1680x1050. I was running at that for almost 5 years (until that monitor bit the dust this Christmas and I got a 1920x1080. *sigh*

I'll use linux commands because I know them, but...

$ ls
id1 quakeforge-client-sdl-0.7.2-win32.zip shadows
$ unzip quakeforge-client-sdl-0.7.2-win32.zip
$ mv quakeforge-client-sdl-0.7.2-win32/QF .
$ mv quakeforge-client-sdl-0.7.2-win32/bin/nq-sdl.exe .
$ ./nq-sdl.exe
I now know that putting the QF dir in the quakeforge-client-sdl-0.7.2-win32 dir might have been a mistake. It probably should have extracted to . so you wouldn't need to think about it. The reason for the quakeforge-client-sdl-0.7.2-win32 directory is two-fold:
  1. I despise zips that spew files over the current directory.
  2. (I think) I was thinking ahead for when 64bit support might be available and I wanted to keep the exes separate without having nasty names. Either that, or I was thinking about having multiple versions of QF (which might be why the QF directory is in the quakeforge-client-sdl-0.7.2-win32 dir).
Anyway, I've decided that making an installer/front-end might be worthwhile: use it to adjust ~/quakeforgerc, create batch files in the quake dir to run the correct exe, and even launch QF (especially good for testing a config).
Spike

Post by Spike »

ditch the 'bin' directory. a windows user will likely think its literally rubbish and just delete it (at least if they're familiar with non-us-english dialects).
add a '64' or something to your 64bit build or users will get confused by being asked to overwrite. remember, your average windows user doesn't even know what a file is. and certainly doesn't know the difference between an exe and a zip...

a noticable portion of windows users will give up when they don't get icons magically appearing on their desktop, quicklaunch stuff, and start menu...
thankfully most quake players expect to have to figure out a few things first. its the potential new players that I despair about.
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

That sounds like a strong argument in favor of writing an installer/front-end.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Spike wrote: thankfully most quake players expect to have to figure out a few things first. its the potential new players that I despair about.
meh, they usually get nquake shoved down their throats by a random qw addict, forced to connect to some qw server where they're creamed by some cheaters, then they give up and delete quake, possibly with a homophobic remark about the game under their breath, without even thinking there's any single player content
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Yup that would be better was just an example from a gnuwin32 source :)
the main thing is that resources are just handled the same as any other object compiled in the difference being that it uses a different compiler "windres" to create the object.