No Excuse not to Buy Quake

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Baker

Re: No Excuse not to Buy Quake

Post by Baker »

Spirit wrote:It did not get any less true over the years, did it? Steam basically established and accustomed DRM in the form of at least the phoning home when launched. How/Why is that ok nowadays?
DRM makes the assumption that the customer has no self-respect and will tolerate anything to play the game they saw on TV.

And a potential thief.

How many people post illegal game download links (all the time), steal Photoshop or Office for no particular reason even if they are aware of suitable free alternatives that will get the job done?
Spirit wrote:How/Why is that ok nowadays?
Because most people hold themselves to low standards of behavior and get treated in accordance.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

then pass on the deal?

jeez, all scar3crow wanted to do is inform about a limited option to get Quake for a very low price, not have a yet-another digital ownership debate, which my 8 years of steam service doesn't care about.
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

True and besides the anoyance that one time, i been an avid steam user myself.
DRM might be annoying but in a time where pretty much anyone can get an internet connection its a small evil.
Productivity is a state of mind.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Shipped retail Steam titles are encrypted on disc. An internet and a steam account with the said game registered will always be required to unlock them.
i should not be here
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

...Yuck. I draw the line at Key + CD Check.

Come to think of it, the majority of the mainstream commercial game development seems to be failing pretty hard at enticing me...Indie / Freeware stuff seems to be holding my interest a lot more given how much I've been playing Silver Knights and Bootfighter Windom XP lately.

The last commercial games I bought were Elite Force / Elite Force 2 last year, games that steam probably would not have been able to help with given that EF2 at least has become a rare item to find...
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Every pre-abrams Star Trek game are pretty much "lost" in the same way NO PUN INTENDED
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Later years i been returning to older games like sof unreal heavy metal fakk 2 only newer games i been buying where mass effect 1 2 and 3 and dead Space 1 and 2.

Mass effect is rather good but its ended now only thing remaining are dlc packs, i loved its story though. The sheer dread of it unfolds somewhat slowly and where else do you get
to massacre huge alien cyborgs that want to turn you into a pulpy mess to be used in new reapers so you can help spell the doom for races that evolves 500000 years from now :P
I even hear a film is planned hehe will be interresting to see how that turns out, the story is massive so it might end up really good, but lets see.
Dead Space is well creepy :twisted: besides that its a good story though it does rob quite a few elements from other francise like alien and a good mix of hp lovecraft stuff.

Sadly not many other game the later years have sparked my interrest but i do look forward to close the lid on half-life when the last episode comes (if it comes).
Productivity is a state of mind.